Jacksonville Beer

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Beerstorian, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerstorian

Beerstorian Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2013 District of Columbia

Hi--

I'll be in Jacksonville in a few days, staying down in "The Landing" area. I'm slated to take some folks to dinner. Are there any decent brewpubs, or beer bars within walking distance of The Landing/Hyatt Regency?

2. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

I'd take a short cab ride to kings st and go to kickbacks, right there you also have a couple other good options and a short walk to intuition and bold city.

Cheers

dcs1548 likes this.
  3. codysjb

codysjb Disciple (379) Jun 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Ya hit up kickbacks for dinner (I guess you could walk 3 miles but it far easier too take a cab or at least a cab back after eating). Once your done there go to beer 30 and grassroots if you want bottles and intuition is def the best bar after eating. Whatever you do. Do Not be fooled by River city brewing Co into thinking they have good err. Drinkable beer. They don't

dcs1548 and digita7693 like this.
  4. Beerstorian

Beerstorian Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2013 District of Columbia

Great advice, thanks! I'll be there tomorrow night.

5. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

try this place
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30858
    I think its the best micro tasting room in JAX ATM. Clean bathrooms, private room in back etc. its not far from the landing.
    Kickback's is under construction ATM, of course if your taking a cab then parking will not be an issue, but it get crowded there at night. Unless something is changed the tap list is down from 84 to about 24.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  6. cratez

cratez Poo-Bah (1,823) Sep 23, 2005 Canada (ON)
    Society

Digging up an old thread here as I'll be staying in the Riverside area of Jacksonville for 4-5 days later this month and I'm looking for advice.

I put together my usual BA/RB list of beer destinations in prep for our visit and it looks like there's a number of good options.

Just wondering which spots are "musts," which ones we could maybe pass up, and whether there are any spots not listed below that are worth hitting up. Your help is much appreciated. Cheers!

Breweries / Brewpubs:
    Aardwolf Brewing Company - BA: 95 / RB: 95 / CS: 95
    Intuition Ale Works - BA: 93 / RB: 93 / CS: 93
    Bold City Brewery - BA: 90 / RB: 91 / CS: 91
    Seven Bridges Grille & Brewery - BA: 87 / RB: 71 / CS: 79

Bars / Eateries:
    Kickbacks Gastropub - BA: 97 / RB: 97 / CS: 97
    Pele's Wood Fire Pizza - BA: 85 / RB: 74 / CS: 80
    World of Beer - BA: 73 / RB: 80 / CS: 77
    Mellow Mushroom - BA: 80 / RB: 71 / CS: 76
    European Street Cafe - BA: 76 / RB: 74 / CS: 75

Stores:
    Grassroots Natural Market - BA: 95 / RB: 90 / CS: 93
    Beer:30 A Craft Beer Emporium - BA: 95 / RB: 77 / CS: 86
    Total Wine & More - BA: 90 / RB: 69 / CS: 80

KVNBGRY likes this.
  7. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,593) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

That River City Brewing there on the river is horrible. It was impressive how they can make an IPA, a red, a stout, and a wheat beer taste the same. And they were all horrible.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  8. drowland

drowland Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 Georgia

I left you a response/explanation elsewhere...

9. baconmcnuggets

baconmcnuggets Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Florida

Don't see Green Room or Engine 15 on here. That's a problem.

BKnarr likes this.
  10. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Deactivated

I think it may just be a distance thing. I hope it's just a distance thing. They should definitely be on the Jax beer must-do list.

digita7693 likes this.
  11. cmac1705

cmac1705 Initiate (131) Apr 30, 2010 Florida

Aardwolf is definitely a must for me. A pleasant place to drink, friendly staff, clean, and well-crafted beers.

12. cratez

Society

That's correct. We aren't looking to leave the city as we'll be visiting family and our time is limited.

13. ashleylake

ashleylake Initiate (0) May 6, 2011 Florida

Try silver cow in riverside... Awesome new little craft beer and food.. Say hi to Regina

semaj likes this.
  14. cratez

Society

That tap list looks ridiculous, and possibly better than Kickbacks?!? Thanks for the awesome tip. Advice like this is the reason why it's worth poking around on BA/RB. Will be sure to say hi.

15. RonMexico

RonMexico Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 Florida

Silver Cow is definitely worth a stop. It's a fairly new bar and they've had some very impressive beers on tap. I feel like right now, their tap list is sort of in flux but I know for a fact they've got some great stuff they'll be tapping soon. It's also walking distance from Kickbacks, Intuition, Beer:30 and Pele's.

16. digita7693

Kicbacks, Intuition and Bold city are all walking distance, but you might not want to do the walk to Bold City later at night.

I would definitely not miss Aardwolf and Kickbacks, I like Intuition since it is right there and a nice spot with some pretty good beers, Bold City is also quite enjoyable and the people there are super friendly and laid back.
    If you venture out towards the beach you should not pass up Green Room and Engine 15.

17. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

All of those are good. I'd also skip River City Brewing, BJ's at Town Center and The Mellow Mushroom. There's better pizza and beer at Brewer's Pizza/Pinglehead Brewing in Orange Park. Say Hi to Steve there.

Kickbacks is epic, construction or not. You must go there. Dhalia's Pour House is good. Silver Cow is good. I also like Pele's Wood Fire Grill and Lola's Burrito Joint in the same area. Check their current tap lists to see if you want to visit.

For bottle shops, you have to check out Beer:30 and Grassroots Natural Market. Any brewery that distributes to our region should be represented there in some form.

Outside the Riverside area:

Orange Park is just up 17 to Blanding Blvd, about 15 miles south of the Riverside area. Caddy Corner to the Orange Park Mall is a long strip mall (14-B Blanding Blvd). Brewer's Pizza is there and they have great food and an impressive tap list. Their house beers have won several Best Florida Beer Championship awards.

Green Room and Engine 15 out at the beaches are also doing tasty creative stuff. If you go to the beach, find them.

Total Wine & More near Town Center also has a killer selection of craft beers.

18. cratez

Society

I was told that the Riverside area is incredibly safe. Is that not the case? Also, is there anywhere else in the neighbourhood that we wouldn't want to walk at night?

19. digita7693

Riverside is a large area, and overall it is very safe. However, past intuition isn't the nicest area and Bold City is a few streets past and not at all lit. Though I've been to bold city many times at night and never felt unsafe there or in the parking lot, and have even walked from there to kickbacks, but it's not so nice.

20. cratez

Society

Got it. Thanks for the heads up.

21. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

Yep, it's pretty safe but it is Jacksonville. Crime can happen, just keep your wits about you.

digita7693 likes this.
  22. cratez

Society

So just to clarify, is the area safe enough for two tourists to walk from the corner of Post and James to Kickbacks and Intuition (north) and Pele's and Silver Cow (south) at night without concerns? Or would we want to consider walking there in the early evening and cabbing back (after, say, 12am)? We've had "close encounters" in Buffalo, Detroit, and Chicago so it'd be helpful to know if muggings have been/are an issue in the neighborhood.

23. digita7693

Walking from Post/James to Kickbacks and South is absolutely fine, completely well lit. The stretch between Kickbacks and Intuition is rather dark at night, but I have done it dozens of times, further on to Bold City is even darker.

If you are going to Bold City Id recommend the reverse order, Bold City, to Intuition, to Kickbacks to Pele's, then back to wherever you are staying.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.