1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

January brewing and doings

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SFACRKnight, Jan 1, 2017.

1. premierpro

premierpro Aspirant (249) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

Did you drink your hydrometer sample? I once used 4oz Peated Malt in a five gallon batch and thought it was too much. Good luck!

Buck89 likes this.
  2. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (181) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Yes, it tasted delicious

GormBrewhouse and premierpro like this.
  3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,259) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Society

Got everything I needed except an outlet hose (mine is too kinked). So I had to improvise with a bucket under the outlet. Super hard to weld with propane in sub freezing temps. Couldn't get the flame hot enough. Minor leak.

[​IMG]

4. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,646) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (737) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I just used an old hose on mine and cut off the bad end...not a lot of pressure on the cooling water out

Hang on to your old immersion chiller It will be useful as a whirlpool stand during recirc.
    Looks nice, CFCs make a lot of sense for large homebrew batches. cheers

jbakajust1 likes this.
  6. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (55) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

• Bottling my dark mild fermented with 1318 tomorrow.
    • Brewing an American stout on the cake whenever it stops raining here. Probably gonna hit it with coffee and/or vanilla at bottling.

SABERG, MmmmmmBeer123, argock and 2 others like this.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I got back into the swing of things and I'm looking at brewing at least 15 gallons and 3 batches in January. I got a Dark Mild done right before the end of the year. I brewed a Nut Brown last Friday, and I brewed the Averagely Perfect NEIPA yesterday. I might actually have some beer to drink someday soon.

8. stealth

stealth Zealot (529) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Brewed the first of three batches of that wheat wine tonight. 1lb of rice hulls to 20lbs of grain, no issues at all sparging. Efficiency, on the other hand, sucked ass. Added some dme and dextrose during boil to get things more in line.

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,295) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

What percentage of the grist was wheat?

10. stealth

stealth Zealot (529) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

65%, 13lbs

SFACRKnight likes this.
  11. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (904) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Brewed up an all Equinox hopped OYL200 NECDA (Northeast Cascadian Dark Ale:wink:) this past weekend and kegged a OYL200 heavy Citra hopped 9.19% NE DIPA that is already drinking very well!
    [​IMG]

12. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,018) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Gearing up for an all-grain Kölsch tomorrow. Keeping the ingredients simple with Avangard Pilsner malt and German Spalt hops, so I guess it is technically a smash beer. Single infusion mash for 90 mins followed by a 90 min boil. Going to be a long brew day. Managed to track down some East Coast Yeast ECY21 at a local homebrew shop which I am very excited to try out.

premierpro and scottakelly like this.
  13. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,259) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Society

I was going to do that but we had an ice storm two days prior and I was brewing in fresh snow. All my other hoses were frozen solid. Made it difficult to brew too, the propane tank was iced up and I couldn't get a hot enough flame to weld the leaks on the CFC.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  14. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (467) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Wrapped up my recipe for a cream ale tomorrow I am brewing... Will be hopped with 2oz of whole flower German Tradition hops, pitching WLP080. Really liked that yeast for my previous cream ale. Grist is typical 6-row, 2-row and flaked corn primarily with a touch of crystal malt.

Took a gravity reading on my pilsner brewed a week and a half ago, looks like it may finish right at target... Currently at 1.010, target 1.009. Will start the D-rest tomorrow while the cream ale ferments for 3 days or so, then when I take the cream ale out of my temp control freezer I will start to crash the pilsner for a few days for gelatin fining and kegging (then lager at 32F for a few weeks!).

Then I need to wrap up my recipe for my next IPA hopped with Vic Secret and Mosaic. Used Conan the last few IPA's so going back to Cali-Ale for this one, approx. 6.5% ABV and 60-70 IBU.

MmmmmmBeer123, Buck89, argock and 4 others like this.
  15. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,032) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

[​IMG]

Oatmeal Stout Brewday

Cheers BAs

16. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (55) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Brewed an impromptu Dunkelweizen to kill some time today. OG 1.050, wlp300

Still need to bottle my Dark Mild and brew that stout. Probably tomorrow.

17. corm44

corm44 Aspirant (208) Aug 28, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

This past weekend I kegged my first ever lager (a pilsner). I also brewed a 10 gallon batch of an American Brown Ale. I used some willamette and cascade in the boil. Split it into 2 fermenters. One will get dry hopped with a couple ounces of centennial. The other one will move into a secondary with oak chips, maple toasted coconut and cinnamon sticks for a few weeks

MmmmmmBeer123, Buck89, argock and 3 others like this.
  18. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (411) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Making a starter today for a 10 gallon batch of IRS , bottleing my first mole beer tommorrow, I'm calling it "where,s my ass, molie", yep the sample I took yesterday indicated it had fermented a bit more in the secondary and its rockin in at 11.8 abv.
    Also got another care package from #1 daughter. Spices direct from Bahrain, cinnamon, cartoman, star anise, fennel, and others. Now I just gotta figure out how to use them.

19. invertalon

Society Trader

Brewed my cream ale last night, whole cone hopped with German Tradition. Wow, do those smell great!

OG of 1.050, expected FG of 1.009. 18 IBU.

Second beer in a row though that my mash pH is lower than expected by exactly .15... Different malts completely, so I'm thinking city water changed a bit. Always nailed my pH in the past and nothing has changed. So I got to adjust going forward and perhaps get my water retested.

20. Lukass

Lukass Savant (945) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Harvesting some St Bretta dregs. Perhaps some of the cleanest tasting brett I've tried. Hoping to use it in a gose soon.

This is my Jerry-rigged method for keeping a starter warm in a cold basement - a cheap Hydor aquarium heater will keep it at around 80-85F.

[​IMG]

MmmmmmBeer123, Buck89, MFMB and 3 others like this.
  21. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (471) May 9, 2007 Ohio

The winter of lagers is coming to a close for me this weekend, at least as far as brew days go. Still plenty of time left for fermentation, secondary, and bottling. After it's all done I will have a very nice stash to get me through the summer months when I don't have as much time to brew.

Unfortunately, I awoke this morning because my brain reminded me that I forgot to collect RO water for today's brew day! This is a first for me. I have 3 five gallon water jugs that I fill up with RO water between brews and forgot. I'm crossing my fingers and maxing out the RO system in hopes that I can be ready to go tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a 10 gallon batch of maibock. My first ever attempt at the style, which is surprising since I really enjoy it. I'll be maxing out the mash tun's capacity on this one. Anticipating 7.5% ABV. The recipe is 75% pils, 20% dark munich, 2.5% caramunich 2, and 2.5% melanoidin. 28 calculated IBUs of Czech Premiant all from a 60 minute addition.

22. invertalon

Society Trader

Noticed a leaky faucet the past few days, so this morning has been a line cleaning day... Have a particular faucet soaking in some BLC right now while all the others just got my normal BLC/Star-San from the keg thru the lines. Hoping that fixes my issue... I replaced all the gaskets a few months back but only recently has it start dripping. It's on my RIS, so I am thinking the sugars or whatever are gumming up the sealing surfaces. My only guess... We shall see!

argock likes this.
  23. jmich24

jmich24 Devotee (470) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

Boiling a NE Session IPA as I type. First go on a recipe i'm looking to dial in.
    80% Pilsner
    10% Flaked Oats
    10% Flaked Wheat

No hops during the boil. Two Flame out additions and two dry hops.
    2:1 Galaxy to Citra throughout.

1.048-1.012 (predicted) 4.8% ABV
    1318 Yeast
    3:1 CL to Sulfate Ratio.
    Mash PH 5.2 (measured)
    IBUs...8-70 . Depending on what calculator you trust. My guess, it tastes "perfect" :wink::rolling_eyes::grimacing:

Cheers

24. SFACRKnight

Trader

I miss drinking that beer. Nightmare on brett is clean too.

I have been slowly hoarding up hops for the juicy bits clone, and am starting to put pen to paper on a dunkelweizenbock. I am planning to utilize some pils, a bunch of wheat, and some chocolate wheat. I am hoping for chocolate flavored banana bread...

GormBrewhouse and Lukass like this.
  25. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

Just wrapped up a brew based on the Black Sheep Riggwelter brown ale. First time using Simpson's Golden Naked Oats. Looking forward to this one.

26. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (187) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Just put my NEIIPA on the gas. Did 3 days of intermittent shaking in the keg at room temp after I transferred to the keg. My most aromatic ipas have all had this step in their process. Looking forward to trying this latest.

27. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,509) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Rebuilt (sort of) my keezer. The freezer gave up the ghost, but I had an identical model freezer in the basement that I had used as a fermentation fridge. So we hauled it upstairs and transferred the collar and all the equipment to it. I'm glad I had the spare, but there's something underwhelming about having a new keezer that is exactly the same as the old one.

28. Soneast

Soneast Champion (802) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Yesterday. I brewed my annual. first beer of the new year, a Pivo Pils clone. Been doing this the last three years in a row now, I usually start drinking it around May and into June, so it works out great. Makes for a long brew day with the step mash process, but it's always fun. Decided to use Dinegmans Pils this time though, since I loved it so much in my Kolsch.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/peepo-pils-pivo-pils-clone

29. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Aspirant (247) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

Brewed a new recipe for a NEIPA today. Also put my new pH meter to the test - love this thing. Already tweaking this recipe for next weekend (wasn't happy with the mash pH or efficiency), but looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Cheers!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado

Woke up early to brew an wheated American Brown IPA. No, it's not a real style but it will be delicious.

American Brown IPA
    2.5 gal
    OG: 1.060
    FG: 1.009
    32 SRM
    47 IBU
    6.8% ABV
    0.78 IBU/gravity

0.5 lbs caramel 80L malt
    0.5 lbs caramel 120L malt
    0.125 Special B malt
    0.25 lbs chocolate malt
    2 lbs pilsner DME
    1 lb pale wheat DME
    0.5 oz Ekuanot hops (14.3% AA): 60 min
    0.5 oz Ekuanot hops: 0 min
    Safale US-05 dry American ale yeast

31. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (498) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I brewed my second attempt at an Imperial Stout / also my 2nd attempt at all grain BIAB. This is my first self-designed recipe. Even though I didn't make the same mistakes I made last time, I had some problems with the cold wind blowing my burner (and also brewing at 6700') so I couldn't maintain a rolling boil at times. I made up for this and for my high water volume by boiling 150 minutes. And then I overshot my OG and undershot my volume. So I'm not really sure what I was doing.

OG was 1.103 and if my mash was any indication, this should be super fermentable. So it'll end up being 10-11% alcohol. I've never had a beer make it's target gravity yet.

Never-the-less, something like 4.5 or 5.0 gallons of imperial stout are bubbling away in the fermenter right now. I call it "moonless night" because it's incredibly dark. If it tastes as good as I think it will, I want to enter it into a competition.

32. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,783) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Keg cleaning to make room for a mild.

zizouandyuki and ManBearPat like this.
  33. SFACRKnight

Trader

Boil off is higher for you and I due to altitude and a low relative humidity. I boil off 1.5 gallons an hour.

GormBrewhouse and Dan_K like this.
  34. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (498) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

That explains a lot. I think my slower evaporation rate for the first hour was due to the mild boil. I need a huge windscreen I think. More brewing junk, lol!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  35. invertalon

Society Trader

Sending off a water sample to Ward Labs to see what’s up with my water the past few batches… My mash pH came in low (up to .15) the last three and nothing changed in my process or the malt used, so just curious… Plus, I never had a water analysis done – the values I use in Bru’n Water come from multiple sources averaged for Cleveland city water. In the past, always nailed my estimated pH but recently it’s been off. I figure I will do three samples this year to see the change with the seasons and can reference the time of year I’m brewing with the three samples (Thinking Jan, May, September). Will be interesting to see how consistent the water is season to season.

Secondly, took my cream ale out of my fermentation chamber (brewed four days ago) and placed my pilsner back in to start cold crashing down so I can gelatin fine it and keg. Once that’s done, I will repeat with the cream ale.

Curmudgeon and jimboothdesigns like this.
  36. SFACRKnight

Trader

Oh crap, I just re read your post. I missed the 150min boil. Craigslist is your friend in this case. Lol.

37. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Aspirant (280) Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee

Ordered the grain bill for my Xocoveza inspired stout to be brewed this weekend. My homebrew club is having a stout bout competition in March. Cheers!

scottakelly likes this.
  38. azurel

azurel Initiate (166) May 27, 2016 Michigan

We racked to keg 10 gallons of a Chocolate Cherry Milk stout....Its now sitting on a half pound of chocolate nibs....It aged for 2 months on some sweet cherry puree....Next will be bottling 10g of the Chocolate vanilla milk stout...After that which might take us into February but the next beer is either a NEIPA or a DDH pale ale....

39. hezagenius

hezagenius Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 Iowa

Racked my latest NEIPA to a keg with an additional 6oz of hops. Nailed my OG and FG.

40. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (737) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Racked Recreational Lager to keg with 2 oz Citra...after looking at weather report, am also making 1728 starter for a hoppy Scotch Ale (with barrel aged Vermont maple syrup for 2nd day of primary) ...hopefully this one is going to taste like a blend of Dirty/Backwoods Bastard and SN's Maple Scotch Ale. :slight_smile: