Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Jester King bottles

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by FUNKPhD, Apr 3, 2012.

1. FUNKPhD

I might have misheard, either way, the tour was awesome and the beers were great!

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  2. isitsavage

The sour Black Metal is fantastic, JK's best sour IMO. Don't knock it 'til you try it, seriously. I especially like it side by side with the reg. BM. I think unless you taste them together they are pretty much totally different from each other, side by side you can pick up some regular BM subtleties in the sour version, really great job I think.

3. isitsavage

This is awesome news!

4. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

I had a chance to try all of the JK offerings during the Big Tex Beer Fest (multiple times) and hands down the Sour BM stole the show for me. Hearing that this could become a year rounder, along with Das (I also had my first taste of this on Saturday) and Boxers makes me very very happy. My lady loved the Mad Meg's and was pestering me to find us bottles when avalible.

All in all it was great to see what the future holds for JK. That corner of the Beer Fest really showed everyone what the future of Texas breweries will look and taste like.

By the way, I like how we have hijacked the OP's thread.

5. FUNKPhD

At least I gave it a title that's not too specific haha

Also, I felt the same way about the sour BM, a little unsure at first, but when I finally tried some at the first anniversary party, holy smokes!

6. bccocx

Beer Trader

Mad Meg has made it to Whip In (2 bottle limit)

7. Ahaley

Beer Trader

I've looked around and can't find any, anyone know where some is left? Have a buddy coming in to town and want to snag him a bottle since the next release won't be out yet. Thanks!

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  8. pawpaw

Beer Trader

Does this mean that it's been TABC approved and we're waiting on a big first round of distro?

9. canadianghetto

Beer Trader

Mad Meg has been approved for a little while, but JK shipped off the first batch to other places. We were waiting for the new batch to be brewed and conditioned before they could release it. I guess it is now ready to drink. Read JKs blog to see the whole situation. We are now actually waiting Beer Geek Rodeo label approval since that one is ready to go in bottles right now.

10. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

If anyone around DFW knows of any bottles still on the shelves of Das PM me as well. Would be nice to nab one to complete my JK bottle set.

11. pawpaw

Beer Trader

Wrong.
    Mad Meg has been federally approved for a while, not TABC approved, that's why they shipped the first batch elsewhere.
    It must have just been TABC approved since it was for sale at Whip-In, which means it's only a matter of time before a big first round of distribution occurs.

In regards to Mad Meg (via the JK blog post that you mentioned):
    "due to the backlog of new labels that they've been registering over the last few months, it's a formality that's now taking 3 weeks or more to complete. In the meantime, we have two options: either we sit on beer that's fully labeled and ready to ship, and legal throughout most of the rest of the US, as well as for export, and await the OK from the TABC to start selling it in Texas, or we sell it somewhere else."

And I believe somewhere else Jeff mentioned that Beer Geek Rodeo is in bottles, sitting in the war

12. canadianghetto

Beer Trader

Not trying to get into a war since you seem testy about my response, but Mad Meg has been label approved (for Texas) for a month or so. See this document:
    [​IMG]
    The wait for this beer has not been the fault of TABC. Jester King just had to make another batch and now it is ready and seems will be shipped out like all their other beers. Simple as that.

13. pwsoldier

Yes. It should be hitting shelves today and/or tomorrow.

14. bccocx

Beer Trader

Whip In still has some Mad Meg on their shelves. I just picked up two

15. tjmodica

Beer Trader

The JK bottles I have had are well worth the wait! Thanks for the effort and keep up the good work, I hope to be sharing one of these with my grandchildren one day.

16. kevinscott

They had bottles of Mad Meg at Live Oak Market when I stopped by at lunch time this afternoon. Priced at $12.99

17. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

Mad meg at Kings on Berry St for $10.99. Awesome price, they got two cases today.

18. blatherbeard

I will for sure give jeff and co the benefit of the doubt but, for me, a stout should be a stout, period. But, ive also been getting into sours so all bets are off LOL As long as they keep the farmhouse BM(which i do like almost as much as the regular bm that started it all) im happy. If they move to make that permanent in lieu of other styles, it would kind of piss me off really, even if i liked sour bm.

19. isitsavage

Yeah I mean, I wouldn't want them to replace the regular BM with the sour BM all together (which I seriously doubt they would do) but I don't think anyone that like sours will be disappointed by sour BM.

20. Phoenix2443

Beer Trader

they also had heaven hill barrels a year ago as I recall. I remember taking a pic, may not have been heaven hill but definitely wasn't jack daniels

21. jesterkingbeer

We have no plans to stop brewing Farmhouse Black Metal. The barrel aged, sour Black Metal will be brewed in addition to Farmhouse Black Metal.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King

22. icetrauma

And y'all will continue to brew the original BM......correct?!

23. jesterkingbeer

Yes. We have a few Heaven Hill barrels as well as a few George Dickel. We use these barrels the same as the Jack Daniels barrels and the wine barrels.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King

24. jesterkingbeer

No. Several months ago we transitioned to just using French Farmhouse yeast for primary fermentation of all our beers. The original Black Metal brewed with English Dry Ale yeast is retired. Here's a link to a blog post from us with more information on this topic:

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/the-debut-of-noble-king

We'd be happy to provide you with the homebrew recipe for the original/English Black Metal.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King

25. pawpaw

Beer Trader

BTW for all Houstonians, Spec's in Midtown got something like 28 cases of Mad Meg today and it's on the shelf. Same price point as Thrash Metal.

26. pwsoldier

Gabriel's got 20 cases of Meg today.

27. pwsoldier

28. blatherbeard

Thanks for the info and the brews jeff and co.

29. Chuk_Hell

Beer Trader

Word up. Plenty of Mad Meg availavble at Central Market Westgate (South) ATX. $10.99.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe