Jester King Craft Brewery

Discussion in 'US - South' started by rainerschuhsler, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

I'm going to hoard the beejesus out of raspberry uberkind and cherry hellfighter. Really diggin Texas breweries right now. I'm barely touching any of the out-of-state things right now. Though I did split a Pannepot 2012 with my family last night. And it was super tasty.

2. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas

mrkmrk likes this.
  3. E-DUBB

E-DUBB Nov 21, 2012 Texas

yup. just saw it on twitter. instafap status.

4. crusian

crusian May 14, 2010 Oregon

Etymology?

5. bentwookie

bentwookie Jan 13, 2008 Texas

So if Jester King does a bottle release at the brewery, the bottles purchased there would be for consumption there.

Hopefully Stanley's will be seeling bottles as well.

6. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Trader

I'll be there for sure for the bottle release.

Clonies720 likes this.
  7. canadianghetto

Trader

They can change their license to a brewpub and sell bottles to-go.

8. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Dec 2, 2006 Texas

phillipjulian likes this.
  9. Clonies720

It's so beautiful I almost want to cry. I hope it's released soon :slight_frown: I want.

10. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Jun 28, 2010 Texas

The concept is that the raspberry (rubus) is a parasite that has infiltrated the heart of the beer.

It's Josh Cockrell's concept and creation. Personally, it reminds me of the chest-exploder thing from Alien :slight_smile:

- Jeff

11. jesterkingbeer

We've filed for our brewpub license. It makes sense for us, if the law changes, since we only make about 1,500 barrels per year. We're looking forward to (hopefully) selling bottles for on-site consumption as well as bottles to go.

- Jeff

12. Clonies720

The only more awesome thing I'll hear all year is my name being called for graduation. I guess I better start a Jester King trip fund. Houston BA's. We need to make regular trips now. I suggest carpooling.

13. Jvrdz24

Jvrdz24 Mar 26, 2012 Texas
    Trader

mattisloco and codybear127 like this.
  14. E-DUBB

sucks working Saturdays. sigh.

15. East1stgrocery

East1stgrocery May 9, 2012 Texas

Since ya'll be selling it on site n all - does that means less beer for retailers ? should i start stocking up on anything jester king i can get thru virtuoso NOW ?? lol

Daemose likes this.
  16. Clonies720

Depending on bottle limits, I'll do my best to keep you hooked up if you miss out, and I happen to get some.

E-DUBB likes this.
  17. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas

Damn so this is going to be a brewery release only?

I would totally make the drive

18. Clonies720

I was going to consider signing up for the Crooked Stave cellar reserve society this year. But perhaps not anymore :grinning:

19. jesterkingbeer

Assuming the bills are signed into law, I think we'll see what's the norm in most other states start to emerge in Texas for those breweries holding a brewpub license. Limited releases that are likely to sell through very quickly will take place at the brewery itself. The example that immediately comes to mind for me is Allagash's coolship beer, which as I understand is only sold at their brewery when it's available. Larger releases that won't sell though in a few days or weeks at the brewery itself end up being sent through the distributor and retail tiers. In your case, your ability to get beers like Le Petit Prince, Noble King, Black Metal, etc. should not change. I would however expect for small, limited upcoming releases like Atrial Rubicite to happen exclusively at our brewery, again assuming the laws change.

The upside as I see it for retailers, is that breweries being allowed to sell beer will help them grow much faster and add additional capacity. This ultimately means a greater amount and diversity of beer for the retailer to sell. As always, thanks for supporting us by selling our beer.

- Jeff

tx_beer_man and jbeezification like this.
  20. Daemose

Daemose Oct 3, 2011 Texas

Sounds great for the brewery, bad for me.

21. crusian

crusian May 14, 2010 Oregon

yeah, sounds like bad for me too.

22. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Meh, it just means you Houstonites will now have to send me ALL the Karbach FUN releases for JK releases. :wink:

icetrauma, canadianghetto and mrkmrk like this.
  23. Daemose

Yep. A day of my life and 100 dollars in gas to get maybe one or two bottles of a limited release. Meh. Probably not happening.

24. E-DUBB

welp. time to crank dat chow.

25. jesterkingbeer

Directly and immediately, perhaps. However, indirectly and with time we think the deregulation of the Texas beer market will allow us to generate the cash we need to do things we've been wanting to do for many months, i.e. hire more brewers, expand our crowded barrel room, add additional fementation capacity. This should translate in time to a greater diversity of our beer being able to reach a wider audience.

- Jeff

26. Daemose

Cool. I guess I'll just have to make a few trips here and there if I want Viking and Ol Oi! and buy up all of Stanley's stock.

Do you anticipate Ol Oi! making it to Houston?

27. jesterkingbeer

Yes, I do. I foresee a bottling run in the fall that will make it to Houston.

- Jeff

28. Daemose

Your foresight is most excellent. The force is strong with this one.

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  29. canadianghetto

Trader

Since you're on right now Jeff, what is the ETA for Viking Metal?

30. East1stgrocery

Already DISLIKING this new law -

we all know larger releases from any breweries don't sell as much and as fast as the seasonals does specially when its a brewery like JK and few others and the only reason I (dunno abt others) support the larger n regular line up for any LOCAL brewery is so i can get the seasonals which sells within a day(sometimes within an hr) and if i know i wont be getting any of the seasonals no matter how much i sell the regular line up tell me y would i sell your reg line up and support your brewery?(this does not mean we will not sell any local breweries reg line up).

as always Thanks for making fantastic LIMITED RELEASES - and the reg line up

Thanks!
    sam,
    E1G.

greenspointexas and Mcal like this.
  31. bentwookie

bentwookie Jan 13, 2008 Texas

I would MUCH rather go to the brewery for a special release instead of hunting and driving around the city for something.

32. Clonies720

I'll be the first to say it in light of this new info.

/whalez

Daemose and E-DUBB like this.
  33. Daemose

I hate shift work... otherwise this would be great news and an excuse to make a trip more often.

lndsy likes this.
  34. channels321

channels321 Apr 16, 2012 Texas

Pros and cons for everything. I love the fact that you guys will be able to expand and produce more limited and one off beers and have them available at the brewery, but hate the fact that I will not be able to get a hold of as many of them since I do not live near the brewery and can't make most of the events you have there. Best of luck to you guys and I hope you continue to put out a great product, hopefully these new laws will help out everyone n the future.

Daemose likes this.
  35. ExperimentalAles

ExperimentalAles May 24, 2012 Texas

If I understood this correctly (and this was very hard to understand) you will not sell JK beer unless you can also sell the limited releases? Seems pretty dumb to me; I'm sure other stores near you will be happy to hear you say this because it means they will get to sell that much more JK.

Its pretty easy to see that you are just pissed because the three tier system is no longer forcing JK to give you half of their profits on the limited releases.

36. jesterkingbeer

I guess just take comfort in the fact that the distributor lobby successfully killed bottle to go sales for holders of a Brewers Permit. We'll only be able to sell bottles to go if the laws pass because we're so small. There are still some big victories for the anti-competitive, regulatory forces in the craft beer bills as they currently stand.

Allowing current breweries to prosper and new ones to open will benefit you in the long run. Are you not excited about potentially soon being able to sell beer from Uncle Billy's, North by Northwest, Black Star Co-op, ABGB and Free Tail?

- Jeff

37. Danielbt

Danielbt May 4, 2012 Texas

The whining has already started and not a single bottle has been sold from a brewery.

Do you suppose the residents of other states, that haven't been limited like ours has, whine about their breweries having brewery-only releases? New Yorkers cry about not getting Allagash coolship all the time, I'm sure. :rolling_eyes:

Jeff is not saying that every single seasonal or limited release is going to be brewery-only. Stop imagining things.

38. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Jan 16, 2011 Texas

Like most other good breweries in the US, it will end up where most of the good beers are limited-brewery only releases and the other stuff that doesn't move as fast will be distributed. Meh, cant say I didn't see this coming. Just means more trips to Jester King for everyone.

There are plenty of pros and cons to this, but overall the bottom line will be: If you want most of the limited, higher sought-after beers, youll just have to go to the brewery-only release(s).. a la Freetail

Im not saying all of the best seasonals/one-offs will be brewery-only. For that, who knows - they haven't even done a release like that at the brewery yet. But I will bet that the majority of JK's sours and higher-rated beers will be brewery only releases

39. East1stgrocery

I can tell you had a hard time understanding it because you understood everything else but this

tell me y would i sell your reg line up and support your brewery?(this does not mean we will not sell any local breweries reg line up).

my opinion was just from retail perspective - I do love and support LOCAL

Cheers,
    sam.

Mcal, air and jwff like this.
  40. ExperimentalAles

ExperimentalAles May 24, 2012 Texas

You would sell their line up and support their brewery because your customers will buy it and you will make money.

Danielbt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.