Jester King Craft Brewery

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by rainerschuhsler, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omnigrits

omnigrits Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2006 Texas

Yup, and I'm really looking forward to all those Oktoberfests that'll be hitting the shelves around the middle of July :confused:

cfh64 likes this.
  2. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (472) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

And Christmas beers in September. Lol

3. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Disciple (300) Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

To the JK guys. After catching up on this thread after the repercussions of the law changes have been understood better...I'd like to change my vote against a Reserve system to cautiously optimistic of the idea (although I'm firmly against a trustee system..you gotta show up in person within 3-6months from release otherwise the bottles will be sold at the brewery...might help you market that off day where people can show up for unclaimed allotments)

Cheers guys regardless of my ramblings, try to give us as much warning for releases as possible so I can schedule time off accordingly.

Clonies720, jl28r1, AdamR46 and 2 others like this.
  4. bccocx

bccocx Devotee (428) Jan 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

5. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Disciple (352) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

6. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Wish we could have something like The Festival in Texas. Maybe something will change next legislative session.

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  7. crusian

crusian Crusader (738) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

So... July 1St?

8. Lutter

Nah, that's a "special" session. In special sessions they only cover select topics that the governor picks. I, uh, don't think it's on the agenda.

9. Lutter

aschwab, Clonies720, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  10. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2011 Texas

Green bottle!

11. crusian

Beer Trader

Utisthelaws parents grabbed him one in Paris thanks to brandon and Simone!

12. videofrog

videofrog Defender (645) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

Brandon is an awesome BA!! He hooked me up with one as well. Would anyone be offended if I brought it to the regular Austin BA bottle share? I've never been before.

UT-Alex likes this.
  13. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

Taking beers to shares is always offensive.

14. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Texas

I'm confused by what I'm looking at. Is this the same beer just in a green bottle?

15. crusian

Beer Trader

rainerschuhsler and HopAG like this.
  16. HopAG

HopAG Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

17. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

lndsy likes this.
  18. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Straight from crusian's link to Jester King: "The recipe for La Petite Princesse was the same as our own recipe for Le Petit Prince Farmhouse Table Beer. However, the malts and hops came from different suppliers, the water came from France, and the yeast was Thiriez’s own house yeast"

So basically yes and no. Yes same recipe. No because different house yeast, water profile, etc.

HopAG likes this.
  19. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Aspirant (258) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

Haha. I have to be selfish with this one. We only received one bottle!

20. HopAG

HopAG Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Oh snap! Must of been one hell of a small batch size! Either that or shipping/carrying that back home was complicated as hell!

21. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Aspirant (258) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

We'd be thrilled if there was at least an exception written into Texas law that would allow out of state brewers to bring beer into Texas for a festival without having to pay thousands of dollars, fill out extensive paperwork and submit each beer for lab analysis. The list of breweries at The Festival is ridiculous, and the organizers have told us they'd like to come to Austin but for the laws.

Beernerds, air, aschwab and 3 others like this.
  22. crusian

Beer Trader

man, that sucks... wish you would have said something sooner. I MIGHT be able to get you some more, let me know.

HopAG likes this.
  23. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (575) Mar 3, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

If only Perry cared about this instead of trying to ruin everything else. :mad:

cam_williams likes this.
  24. omnigrits

omnigrits Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2006 Texas

I think you're right Jeff, and it's not just the money issue: http://www.pressherald.com/news/beer-fest-organizer-turns-down-2nd-round_2013-06-26.html

A lot of the strictures and regulations mentioned in that piece are also in the Texas alcoholic beverage code, such as brewers not pouring beer and tickets for beers, plus many more that weren't mentioned. Anyone who's been part of organising any kind of beer festival or event here, and I'm putting my hand up on this count, knows about all the rules and regulations that have to be observed, the hoops that have to jumped through, and being told at the last minute that you can't do something that was perfectly okay at last year's event, or three days ago when you last spoke to the TABC about it. And if you do one small thing wrong they can shut you down right there and then, no questions asked.

We have a long way to go.

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  25. Lutter

I'll be at Jester King tomorrow with Matt Chow in tow... hoping to see some cheap hipster meltdowns of people that don't understand the menu! ;). Will report back!

mattchow and Clonies720 like this.
  26. bccocx

bccocx Devotee (428) Jan 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm thinking about coming out, too. Craving some pizza + experimental sour blend. If I'm out there, I'll look for y'all.

27. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I'm guessing that hipsters will be extremely mad that they won't get $10 tours. They tend to like cheap beer.

codybear127 likes this.
  28. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (457) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Hey there, I'm not a hipster, but I don't want to pay $30-40 to samples all the beers!
    I know $10 isn't enough for all ~12 though. I'm really hoping a good sampler is put together for tomorrow. At least I'm not driving.

I'll be going with my girlfriend and a buddy, planning to make the first tour. I know my tan-ish RR shirt is clean, so I'll probably wear that.

29. Lutter

Nobody called you a hipster, but I hear the first thing every hipster does is deny they ARE a hipster ;)

Here's the menu for tomorrow... they DO have 4oz sample sizes of 12 out of 16 beers (all between $2 and $3.50) for tomorrow. And... holy shit, 16 beers. Also (I don't think anyone noticed this): Viking Metal & Commercial Suicide ON CASK.

[​IMG]
    http://jesterkingbrewery.com/files/6.29.13_Menu.pdf

nsheehan likes this.
  30. mattchow

mattchow Disciple (319) Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

getting a bottle of ol li and a pour of viking metal for sure, maybe experimental sour for the gf.

31. videofrog

videofrog Defender (645) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

I see they have Ol' Oi and the experimental sour available in bottles. Anybody know if Stanley's will have those available for off-site consumption?

32. Lutter

I'll let ya know, but I'm guessing not.

33. lndsy

lndsy Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 Texas

Do you go to Jester King every day?!

34. Daemose

Daemose Devotee (426) Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure not.

35. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I don't think I'll be making it. I might have consumed copious amounts of fajitas, ribs, Modelo, and tequila last night.:confused:

Jvrdz24 and Phoenix2443 like this.
  36. Lutter

I would if they were open every day. ;)

I tend to meet with people there a lot for obvious reasons.

37. mattchow

Beer Trader

It was a fucking hot day today, nice to meet you Lutter!

hash_tagger, Lutter and Clonies720 like this.
  38. Daemose

Daemose Devotee (426) Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

It was 104 today on my porch.

39. mattchow

Beer Trader

Thanks Michael for the taste of Goose Island King Henry and BA Bigfoot!

40. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2011 Texas

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I COME UP

hash_tagger and Clonies720 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.