Jester King Gin Barrel Nocturn Chrysalis!

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by CheChe, May 26, 2016.

1. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Aspirant (276) May 17, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

The way I see it, your staff were the first 30 people in line today. Your posts usually say, "about [xxx] bottles" so I think it's safe to assume it's never a precise number. Whether you had 520 or 550 bottles available for sale to the public today, it doesn't change the fact that some people were going to show up too late and leave empty handed.

#81 rainerschuhsler, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    snax, tx_beer_man, Dogleg and 4 others like this.
  2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I know you did, I was just sticking up for the guy who everyone was attacking. You can't have a complaint in the craft beer world without someone calling you entitled. People like to gang up on people from behind their keyboard on this forum. Sometimes deserved, sometimes not. I felt the latter in this case. And as I said, don't let one unhappy customer ruin what 500+ other people thought was the best way to release a small bottle count to date.

3. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Uh-oh, mods are here. So...how's the beer anyway?

4. INWarner413

INWarner413 Aspirant (204) Mar 25, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have massive respect for JKs employees. They did an outstanding job today.

snax, Alby and NoahMayes like this.
  5. INWarner413

INWarner413 Aspirant (204) Mar 25, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

That being said, ownership needs to think things through more. Its a delicate line between brewing what you want and brewing what customers want...and JK has been on the wrong side for several months now.

6. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (94) Jan 30, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

Can you further explain this statement? Do you think customers should dictate what a brewery produces?

sethsticles and mgr78704 like this.
  7. lilsquiggz

lilsquiggz Initiate (139) Feb 17, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

I showed up on time, not "so late". I was told by an employee that the cut off was 520, which was a mistake, and by the time our 5 second exchange was over at least 20 people had jumped me in line, one of them even posted about it in this thread. It seemed futile at that point whether some flakes happened or not.

8. WolfBrewer

WolfBrewer Initiate (19) Mar 23, 2015 Texas

If you showed up "on time," you are pushing it for these releases. Get there earlier next time and in the meantime, contact Jeff and he will obviously help you out. Whining incessantly on here won't help your cause.

Hah, have you read/heard their motto? Pretty clear.

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  9. caffeineTX

caffeineTX Initiate (189) Aug 29, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

i missed the release. first jk release ive struck out on in 2 years but i had a friend that was cool enough to open a bottle with me tonight

[​IMG]
    one of the few GBA beers i've actually enjoyed. wasn't thinned out at all and had a ton of rosemary present from the revolution gin. hopefully i will be able to trade for 1 or 2 of these to keep my set going

que sera sera if i cant land one, i mean end of the day its just beer right?

snax, helios7, thakaz and 5 others like this.
  10. lilsquiggz

lilsquiggz Initiate (139) Feb 17, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

I swear half of you aren't reading a damn thing I've said. When I say "on time" I mean I would've gotten a bottle had I not been told that I wouldn't get one by standing in line. I was there early, as stated multiple times previously, and several people who line jumped me and several who had been in line behind me got bottles. I was there before all of them.

11. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (483) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

They read what you stated but in this forum particularly, If you say anything negative about not getting a limited release then you are whining/entitled. No matter what the circumstances are. Your best bet is to contact JK and hash it out with them and keep it private between y'all. It's just not worth the effort and time to plead your case in public for the above mentioned reasons.

12. kmello69

kmello69 Defender (618) Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

We get it. You've said it over and over again. Now put on your big boy pants and talk to Jeff directly about it. Going through it over and over and over and over on here won't accomplish anything.

mwbbq, dkw0063, djd07 and 6 others like this.
  13. MarkKeiser

MarkKeiser Initiate (142) Sep 24, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Seems like you should have went and got your spot back in line. I left the line several times and had no issues getting back in my spot.

wiingman, kmello69 and mgr78704 like this.
  14. MLDucky

MLDucky Defender (632) Oct 12, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Someone that actually drank the beer. Kudos!

15. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Aspirant (258) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

That's not true. We've been on the wrong side for years.

16. djd07

djd07 Aspirant (203) Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

juniper*

wiingman likes this.
  17. gcg49

gcg49 Initiate (175) Dec 29, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Opening an hour early and getting through the entire line before the original opening time was awesome. Seemed like the lines for pours and other to-go bottles around 11:30-noon were more painful than the release itself. I suppose that's a good problem to have.

nsheehan likes this.
  18. jamescain

jamescain Meyvn (1,002) Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm glad I stayed home and brewed a pale ale

Small releases make me sad

WolfBrewer likes this.
  19. Abbbp

Abbbp Crusader (715) Mar 9, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

What's the bottle count on the pale ale? :stuck_out_tongue:

MLDucky likes this.
  20. jamescain

Beer Trader

Zero...draft only, no growler :wink:

Grendle and Abbbp like this.
  21. erushing

erushing Disciple (303) Dec 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

This is an exceedingly weird statement considering the silly discussion over the last couple weeks about the collab beers, subtlety, how they should "get back to fruited sours", etc. Isn't this release the opposite of what people were complaining about last week?

That being said, ownership needs to consult with me more about the timing of these releases. I was in STL/Illinois all weekend and had to resort to drinking some swill from Side Project instead of standing in line for hours for this. :angry:

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  22. Chadzero

Chadzero Initiate (149) Dec 20, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't doubt that the other botanicals are present. That juniper character of that gin is very balanced compared to the other flavors. I think that's one of the reasons I like it so much.

23. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Defender (684) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Beer Trader

This has been fun to read...

I couldn't make it to the release because of wife, kids, inlaws, blah blah... but I did randomly fall into NC Blend 3 at Odd Duck while getting brunch on Sunday. Waiter said it was left over from an event, so that kind of felt like scoring a bottle.

chrismann65 and mig100 like this.
  24. caffeineTX

caffeineTX Initiate (189) Aug 29, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

it was an inside joke, DJ was there with me when my friend opened the bottle

djd07 likes this.
  25. mhenson42

mhenson42 Zealot (541) Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

In every business, customers dictate what is produced over the long haul. If a company doesn't produce a product or provide a service that customers want to buy, they won't be in business very long. Customers dictate with their wallet.

jamescain likes this.
  26. WanderFlora

WanderFlora Initiate (73) Oct 4, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Did y'all know that 3.1 million children die from starvation in the world annually?

ONovoMexicano and blastoderm55 like this.
  27. mgr78704

mgr78704 Zealot (599) Oct 28, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

How much?

28. mhenson42

mhenson42 Zealot (541) Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

That assumes JK actually checked IDs yesterday. Which they did not. At least did not anywhere in my vicinity. Lol

29. Chuck-17

Chuck-17 Initiate (131) Sep 9, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think the release went great. The line moved really fast and they seemed very organized. Having two lines was a great idea. The entire staff was friendly as always and people kept thanking them for how smooth things went. The parking attendant even got creative to help find additional spots to park. Kudos to Jeff and the JK staff. See you at the next release.

nsheehan, snax, Dicers and 3 others like this.
  30. jamescain

Beer Trader

And people keep voting "yes" with their wallets for what they consider as mediocre products from JK, meaning they can continue to do what they want.

31. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Defender (684) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Beer Trader

$38... which is, you know, kind of pricey for a breakfast beer, but whatever.

WolfBrewer and mgr78704 like this.
  32. mattchow

mattchow Disciple (319) Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

you can really taste the rareness and butthurt. :grinning:

33. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (438) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

FTFY.

jamescain likes this.
  34. mph005

mph005 Aspirant (263) Nov 25, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

When I got to the table, both people on each side of me were asked for ID.

35. jamescain

Beer Trader

This is because you're old :stuck_out_tongue:

Grendle and mwbbq like this.
  36. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (171) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

You must mean JK should do exactly what you want? Because...

Which is totally true, because...

Exactly. They are certainly having zero issue moving their product, as evidenced by a 600 person line for a single bottle of beer.

@jesterkingbeer When was the last time you guys had buy back product from retail or destroy unsold bottles?

#116 ElChuques, May 31, 2016
    WolfBrewer likes this.
  37. moderatemath

moderatemath Initiate (11) Apr 22, 2014 Texas

Came for the salt. Was not disappointed.

ONovoMexicano and ElChuques like this.
  38. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Aspirant (258) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

We've bought back product twice. Once was the over-carbonated Commercial Suicide bottles, which I believe was in 2011. The other time, we bought Noble King back from Flood because we were running out of beer to sell at our tasting room and needed more.

We've never destroyed unsold bottles, unless we thought the beer didn't meet our quality standards. As I said on the other thread, everything we release sells through with 75% sold onsite at the brewery. I don't write this to sound immodest or to in anyway be boastful, but since our management skills were challenged, I'd point out that turning down out of state requests for our beer from distributors is a weekly task for us. -- Jeff

#118 jesterkingbeer, May 31, 2016
  39. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (94) Jan 30, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

Agreed, mostly.

Are there any signs that JK has been on the wrong side of that consumer demand?

Was the creation of JK a result of consumer demand, or the result of their own passion for the beers they brew? Did they create that demand? And as consumer tastes change, should they move to follow those trends? Or will there still be a demand from those who continue to share similar tastes (whether large or small), that will allow them to sustain a successful business? Maybe they define the success of JK as a brewery that continues to serve a consumer base that shares in their tastes and passions and sees a small profit over the long haul?

Genuine curiosity, not trolling. @jesterkingbeer could maybe chime in. (and it looks like they already did)

Cheers!

40. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Disciple (350) Apr 22, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Nocturn Chrysalis is damned great beer. It also boasts a higher bottle count; those could be the unmemorable flavors.

dkw0063, nsheehan, Alby and 8 others like this.