Jester King in MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by DeweyCheatem-n-Howe, Mar 17, 2017.

1. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (346) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I seriously came very close to defiling my pants this evening when I happened upon three different Jester King beers at CBC Belmont. I got one bottle - Boxer's Revenge (for $28, bloody hell...) - and the other two available were Hibernal Dichotomous and Gotlandsdricka.

Anyone else seen JK beers around, and does anyone know if this is a one-off drop or a sign of things to come? The guys at CBC didn't know.

Sabtos likes this.
  2. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (321) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

YS1977 likes this.
  3. YS1977

YS1977 Initiate (25) Aug 1, 2015 Massachusetts

konabrewer, skleice, BAMF and 2 others like this.
  4. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Of all the breweries I know and like around the country, the only ones that would have surprised me more coming into the Massachusetts market would be Russian River, Side Project and De Garde.

This is superb news, for me at least.

eaglephile likes this.
  5. Phineasco

Phineasco Disciple (380) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's crazy that those bottles lasted a week at the store. I got Feral Dampf a farmhouse ale at CBC Fenway.

6. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

They're kinda tucked away, top of the shelf across from the Wicked Weed stuff. I just happened to recognize the Dichotomous label and my jaw dropped.

7. jheimbigner

jheimbigner Aspirant (262) Apr 18, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not to side track too much - but I don't think Russian River would be too far fetched in the future. It is distributed to Philly already and they even see taps of Pliny The Younger.

8. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (954) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That's a special agreement that has been going on for a long time; not any kind of expansion to the east coast. Similar to how Hill Farmstead sends draft to select bars in NY, Philly and MA. RR hasn't even been able to return distribution to WA after they withdrew, years back.

9. hopley

hopley Champion (810) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wow, that's amazing!! With all this new distro seeming to come in to the Boston market - why trade any more?! But at $28 for that JK - and with Wicked Weeds running close to and over $20 for 500ml, I hate to dampen the enthusiasm, but I'm not surprised they sat on the shelf...I just saw one other recent entrant to the Boston market - 4 different variations of New Belgian's Lips of Faith - all priced at $12 each. Again, hate to dampen the enthusiasm because I frigging love Jester King and would love more than anything to see them successfully enter the Boston market, but $28 a bottle? Just sayin.

10. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Another full time shelf sitter after a couple months. Awesome.

11. Patches826

Patches826 Defender (666) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Do you even like beer at this point?

12. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

I don't like how MA is the marquee dumping ground for beer that isn't selling to satisfaction elsewhere.

It will be hot for a month or two then sit forever. Wicked weed, almanac, revolution, etc. Big deal coming in and I can get it shelf aged now.

If you aren't concerned by this, do you even like beer anymore? It isn't just bad for MA shelves but says alot about the market these breweries have for non super limited stuff.

I love beer. Sorry to clog up threads with the big picture stuff that is the actual landscape rather than the next tick.

13. abagofit

abagofit Aspirant (233) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I haven't seen wicked weed or almanac sit on shelves anywhere...they seem to sell pretty quick.

14. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

Visit the northshore. I'll snap a pic. Multiple shops. It is ridiculous. Hopefully the wanting swarm up so I might be able to try something fresh.

seanwhite likes this.
  15. thedude180

thedude180 Initiate (139) Apr 3, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wicked weed and almanac definitely sit at the stores around me (central ma)and the same would happen w/Jester king especially at the prices being discussed earlier.

seanwhite likes this.
  16. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (419) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Jester king is supposed to be $13-20 and was always well under 20 when it was in Vt. Something shocking about those prices. Just coming back from Austin with a case that cost about $130. Dont blame jk for those prices.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  17. mig100

mig100 Crusader (770) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yea, this is true. Just to chime in... here in Austin some of their "core" beers that make it to distro are sold for even less than at the brewery. Petit Prince, Mad Meg and Kvass 750's currently $7.99 each at Whole Foods.

None of their 750's should be more than $16, unless it's a special release of some kind.

18. Clarkvv

Clarkvv Initiate (131) Mar 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Almanac and wicked weed confirmed shelf turds in Boston. Multiple high profile stores.

seanwhite and thedivebar like this.
  19. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (954) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Jester King makes outstanding beer but the prices are a little disappointing.

Never had anything I liked from Almanac but if it's going to sit on shelves at least the bottles are nice to look at.

hopley likes this.
  20. mig100

mig100 Crusader (770) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's also not 2014-2015 "holy shit craft beer!" insanity anymore. Too much beer

21. CADMixes

CADMixes Initiate (167) Feb 29, 2012 Massachusetts

You're actually almost sort of on to something here (and it has nothing to do with MA specifically)--there is an issue with just how many "event beers" (i.e. assertive beers in single-bottle formats) the market can bear. Logsdon and Almanac and Wicked Weed are starting to sit because people are only willing to make pricey 375s and 750s a certain (small) portion of their consumption. Beer is still not wine--it's a functional beverage that succeeds in functional formats and packaging. Seizoen Bretta is great, but I need a 750 of farmhouse ale once every couple months at best. Next time I need one I'm going to have like a dozen new options so what's the likelihood I'm going back to the well with Seizoen Bretta? I really love what Jester King does but nothing about my daily life is set up for consuming $20 Jester King 750s on a regular basis.

That being said, it still makes more sense for those breweries to challenge the market than it does for a competent but unremarkable regional like Revolution or Rhinegeist to show up in Mass. with pale ales and IPAs that are dependent on freshness.

22. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (704) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ah. Nothing compares to the “dumping ground” of NY. Name recognition is a bigger incentive than quality/satisfying local demand

+Upland

TheBirdSanc and hopley like this.
  23. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Trade + Market Value plays a role; their value diminishes as they sit...who cares about quality

24. hopley

Beer Trader

Yup, this one made a splash on the BA advertisements a month or so ago, but I haven't seen it since, or in stores. My easily answered lazy ass question is do they also do IPAs and other stuff, and in the same vein - does Revolution, also mentioned in this thread, also do sours - and if so, have they been distributed in the Beantown market? If so / not - we're not talking apples / oranges...but I guess I'm nit picking

25. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

I don't think I've seen any Upland, and Wicked Weed certainly sits - the sours at least, Pernicious goes fast, and I tend to grab it whenever it's available.

I'm not complaining about more beer bring available in Massachusetts. Not sure anything is getting bumped for these, and it's not like sours are going to lose freshness or something.

hopley likes this.
  26. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (197) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

How do these brands fare on tap though? People might not be willing to drop $20 on a JK 750 all that often, but they might be selling decent compared to other brands in beer bars. There are a lots of brands that I rarely buy bottles of, but do drink on tap quite often. I dont go out of my way to buy Firestone Walker Double Jack in bottles, but if I'm at happy hour with coworkers I will gladly get one because its most likely the best thing on tap for the couple hours I'm there.

27. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (210) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Massachusetts definitely seems to be on the short list of places you distribute your dollar-per-ounce beer too. And yes, those beers are aging like crazy on the shelves. Has anyone ever actually bought a bottle of Cascade? I still see 2013 bottles from them all over the place.

28. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

FYI, I ran back into CBC yesterday and I remembered the price wrong - it was $23 for Boxer's Revenge, not $28. The $28 was the price for Double-Barrel Jesus - it stuck in my head because I looked at it (when I got the JK), went "Holy hell, no thank you," and went on my merry way with my slightly-less-overpriced sour.

hopley likes this.
  29. hopley

Beer Trader

For those who care, this thread struck a nerve so I got a little carried away and started a thread in the national Beer Talk forum that didn't go anywhere, but here it is anyway...and my response to @DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-boston-market-and-beyond-wilds-sours.498943/

I realized that as looked a little further into it in doing a modicum of research for this. I'm glad you did though because it really got me thinking and I still stand behind what I wrote. Another guy pointed out that La Folie / Lips of Faith are routinely offered at $12 around the country. I found it at Marty's Newton for $16 which routinely price gouges folks and is pretty much always the highest prices in the Boston area. But similarly, I still stand behind my conclusions as New Belgium still has a good strategy on market entry into the Boston market. Anyway - CBC's pricing (was it Belmont?) seems pretty fair as I recall seeing it as CBC Newton Center before they moved a couple years ago for somewhere in the mid - $30's. I'll post this to the NE forum as well, thanks for the feedback / fessing up...!! Cheers!

30. Janeinma

Beer Trader

The New Belgium Lips of Faith bottles were being sold at 12 at Burlington Wegman's and I think similar at some of the other stores that tend to be cheaper.
    I have seen a store sell TDD Dulcis Succubis for $35 when other stores including CBC were selling it at $26, I wont mention the store as they sometimes are cheaper than most but we have issues with our pricing.

hopley likes this.
  31. DarthCerevisiae

DarthCerevisiae Initiate (123) Jan 13, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was under the impression this was the first time Jester King package has hit the market? Legally, at least..

32. Janeinma

Beer Trader

in MA maybe but Mad Meg was on the shelf in RI for a while (I think for around $15 with a brewery price of $13) and others being seen in VT, I can find discussions with the Bevvie up there from 2015 about Jester King again prices midway between 15 and 20.
    Jester King HAS seen distribution into NE at reasonable prices in the past few years.
    The sad thing is with this markup it becomes just as much sense to reach out to someone in Austin and trade NE hops or HF shelves for Jester King and if you do it for 4-6 bottles it becomes the same price or cheaper.
    I have been doing this for a few years and with these prices I see no reason to change to using our local stores.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  33. hopley

Beer Trader

Completely true - I've been dabbling in mail trading recently and it's not really as expensive nor as much of a packaging hassle as I thought, depending on where you send it. And if you stick with cans from Trillium or Tree House...

seanwhite likes this.
  34. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (183) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Part of the reason why some of these beers sit is, using Wicked Weed as an example, the $20 pint that they have on the shelf is like the 5th best sour of the style that they make - their top beers sell right away, the employees nick them or we don't actually get them at all. You can be sure if Atrial Rubicite (switching to JK now) was on the shelves here at some outrageous price, it would still move. I agree that there is a fair bit of brand-extending in MA where folks fall into the trap that a great brewery is great at making everything.

Someone above mentioned Cascade. If you go to some of the better shops, Julios for example, Cascade has reduced its wholesale prices by 30% or so. Now the 750s are in the low $20s versus low $30s. A vast improvement. The lower volume shops, unfortunately, have not been able to sell at the high price and haven't gotten the picture that they need to offer a special. I convinced a local guy to sell me a half case at 30% off for a bunch of Kreik and Sang Rouge and he was pleased to do so.

hopley likes this.
  35. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

b/c folks are looking for trade/resale, which is hard with distribution/diminished rarity

36. CASKandPIG

CASKandPIG Initiate (105) Mar 27, 2017 Massachusetts

I see Almanac sitting on shelves everywhere in the Southcoast. Wicked Weed moves, but its not as hard to find as it once was.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.