Jever - The German Pilsener

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AugustusRex, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,176) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I like Jever every now and again but as others have said, it seems to be much pricier than bit/radeberger here in the US. If I'm going to pay $13 a six pack for an imported Pils, Weihenstephan is my first choice.

Stiegl makes a nice Pils too for a good price (I know, I know.....Austria is not Germany). Ideally I'd be purchasing lots and lots of Trumer Pils but unfortunately they don't distribute here.

2. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Very lucky you!

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,879) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

There is a canned on date on those beers?

Cheers!

4. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

There used to be a best before date only (15 months). Now the can is redesigned with more gold and there is a production date as well.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

Society

In my area (and all of America?) I only have Jever available in bottles. Those bottles solely have that stupid 15 month best by date. Utilization of a timeframe like 15 months is a travesty.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

AugustusRex, nc41 and Squire like this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,688) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It's a shame that anyone think 15 months out is a best by date, I wouldn't buy any beer at 6 months old let alone a year plus.

JackHorzempa and Squire like this.
  7. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

Before they put the production date on, most people would probably assume it was a 12 month best before window. The extra 3 months are extremely misleading.

8. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup!

I made the assumption that the timeframe was 12 months and I would purchase beers that I thought was 'only' 6 months old to find out they were actually 9 months old.:slight_frown:

I am guessing that this dating scheme is done at the request of the importer (Raven Brands for the US) but needless to say Jever (Radeberger Gruppe) acquiesces to this request. A very unethical business practice IMO.

Not every beer consumer regularly visits beer forums (e.g., BA) and they will be basing their purchasing decisions simply based upon the best by date on the bottle. I am disappointed in both the importer and the brewery.

Cheers!

AugustusRex and Squire like this.
  9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

As am I. I've also made the mistake of buying imports that were simply too far past their prime. Spreading the word about beer freshness is my way of combating this practice.

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Ain't that the truth!

11. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (809) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Supermarkets here always push for longer best before dates, a year is typical but some breweries have started using 18months for standard strength beers. Some are also 9months as well, making it rather hard to know how old they actually are as they never use production dates. It's one of my chief annoyances

JackHorzempa likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Society

And I am annoyed right there with you!!:angry:

Cheers!

Hanglow likes this.
  13. Hamme

Hamme Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Netherlands

I just had my first Jever and i liked it a lot! Very fresh and drinkable.

14. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (648) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

To the Pennsylvania folks (maybe other regions too), based on my and @JackHorzempa's observations there appears to be a shipment of Jever bottled on 7/18/17 hitting SEPA shelves, so if you want some fresh Jever go find it now. Unfortunately the price seems to have gone up some too... my case was $42, up from ~$35 about a year ago. For a beer I love and buy only 1 or 2 times a years it's still worth it to me. YRMV.

FBarber, Hamme, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  15. tzieser

Trader

Can you (or @JackHorzempa) give me a tip as to where in SE PA specifically you found fresh Jever? I've only had Jever once or twice largely due to its higher-than-average price tag but I'd love to have a fresh one sometime.

16. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (344) Nov 23, 2008 New York

A 20% price increase in just a year...ouch. :anguished: But if that 7/18/17 batch is also hitting NY I'll definitely make an effort to find some as I've never had it before.

17. Ranbot

@JackHorzempa told me he bought his at Wegmans, which have many locations and probably your best bet if you don't want buy a case. @KOP_Beer_OUtlet might have some inside information about distribution. Many PA distributors will hold cases aside for customers, so you could try calling some distributors near PA-NJ border near you to see if they will help you out. You could also try contacting Jever's importer, Raven Brands, but I don't know if they are responsive. I think I heard someone say once that Raven is based in Philadelphia.

tzieser likes this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

I bought my 6-pack at the King of Prussia Wegman's. Each Wegman's store is 'serviced' by local Wholesale Distributors so even if one Wegman's store has it does not necessarily mean that others will. Your best bet is to call the Wegman's that is most convenient to you to see if they have it available (also ask about the bottled on date to ensure they have the 18.07.2017 batch).

Cheers!

drtth and tzieser like this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

Randy, to the best of my knowledge Ed Raven operates in NYC.

I have sent him a few e-mails and his responses to me were hit or miss. My guess is that if somebody sent him a message concerning purchasing Jever he would be responsive.

Cheers!

tzieser and Ranbot like this.
  20. tzieser

Trader

The import selection at my local Wegman's (Mt. Laurel) is incredibly lacking. I think the only imported pils they have is Warsteiner and Radeberger. I'll have to check out the KoP selection sometime.

21. JackHorzempa

Society

Frankly, the import section of my Wegman's is not too big. For over a year there was no Jever on the shelf. If it wasn't for me reading Randy's (@Ranbot) recent post I would not have even thought to look for it.

The best advice I can provide is: get it while you can!

Cheers!

Ranbot and tzieser like this.
  22. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Right you are. Notice that his phone and fax area code is one for New York City.

Ranbot likes this.
  23. KOP_Beer_OUtlet

KOP_Beer_OUtlet Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

We carry Jever and sell it by the bottle in sixpacks and of course by the case...Currently we are out of stock...I just texted the rep to see if it's available...If it is it should be available by Thursday at the latest

AlcahueteJ, drtth and Ranbot like this.
  24. Hamme

I almost finished my first case of Jever and i believe drinking it from a bottle adds to the experience, preferably cold but not too cold. But, i never like beer from cans anyhow. Someone stated that Jever is the German equivalent of Urquell and i can second that.

tzieser likes this.
  25. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Texas

In some individual cases that is true. When's the last time you had a German Gose or Berliner Weisse that was better than the best American version?

26. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,121) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

For me it was the last time I drank a Ritterguts and a Kindl.

AlcahueteJ, steveh and TongoRad like this.
  27. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Have you had the Bräu Baker Berliner? It's fermented with both brettanomyces and lactobacillus, and very nice indeed. A Shelton Brothers import if that helps.

herrburgess likes this.
  28. herrburgess

Brewery

What, in your opinion, is "the best American version" of both of these?

29. herrburgess

Brewery

Have not. The one guy who was doing legit Berliner Weisse in Berlin, Andreas Bogk, seems to have gone kinda silent.

30. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,824) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

August Schell makes a series of beers that are traditional lacto and Brett. The brewer Jace Marti studied at VLB in Berlin back before Schultheis closed, and that was a lacto Brett Berliner.

herrburgess and TongoRad like this.
  31. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Jealous!

The more I hear about Schell the more I wish they were distributed here.

FBarber and Squire like this.
  32. Mindsculptor

Kindl is better than Tartare? I'll have to track it down and see for myself.

33. Mindsculptor

Bear Republic Tartare is the best Berliner Weisse I've had and for what it's worth Paste rated it as the best outright sour in America. Unfortunately I haven't checked any of the Goses I've had, so I have no reference point on that.

34. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,856) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Full disclosure: I'm not a big Gose (or sour beer of any kind) fan, but I enjoyed Schell's Goosetown Gose as a summer refresher. That said, I don't think it was as traditional as the Ritterguts I tried.

AlcahueteJ and herrburgess like this.
  35. drmeto

drmeto Poo-Bah (2,146) Jan 29, 2015 Germany
    Society

hmmm.Jever & Urquell taste quite different to me.
    Jever fits the part of a typical North German Pils with high bitterniss, a light malt base and the dryness.
    Urquell in comparison is maltier and smoother (due to the softer water) with a nice bitter kick at the end.
    Its good if you get both versions non-skunked.

AlcahueteJ, surfcaster, Hamme and 2 others like this.
  36. Ranbot

Agreed. Urquell's signature mild diacetyl (e.g. buttered popcorn flavor) is quite distinctive as well. Jever also has a very slight sulfur character (discussed previously in this thread). Jever and Urquell are both pilsners with a nice noble hop bitter finish, but otherwise there is little similarity between them.

AlcahueteJ, surfcaster, Hamme and 2 others like this.
  37. scottakelly

I'm guessing that @Hamme is stating that Jever is a prime example of a German pils, just as Urquell is a prime example of a Czech pils, and not stating that they are similar to each other.

Hamme, FBarber, Ranbot and 1 other person like this.
  38. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,856) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I can see that interpretation. Myself, I'd still place Ayinger's Bavarian Pilsner as a more prime German example over Jever (at least based on the last 2 fresh examples of each that I tasted).

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  39. scottakelly

I also think that Jever and Urquell are not "average" examples of their respective styles. They are both outliers in their own way. In some regard, though, with American expectations for both styles, both may be considered by many to be "ideal" examples of their styles.

AlcahueteJ, TongoRad and steveh like this.
  40. Hamme

I meant that they are reminiscent in skunkiness. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.