JK 500ml bottles???

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ChanceK, May 22, 2013.

1. ChanceK

ChanceK Feb 13, 2012 Texas

Someone mentioned this on a previous thread. Perhaps I misunderstood though. Does anyone have any info on this?

2. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

My understanding is that the new raspberry sour would be released in the 500 ml bottles, but I dont know that for sure.

3. ChanceK

I wish they would make 500 ml a permanent option. I know I would buy JK more often.

ExperimentalAles likes this.
  4. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Mar 21, 2013 Texas

Depending on price...

5. ChanceK

Yeah, but right now it's hard for me to spend $10 on a bottle of Noble King. I went through a phase and drank a lot of JK but it just got too pricey. 2/3 the size at 2/3 the price would work for me.

6. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

I'll admit when I buy a 750ml, it makes me more likely to share it. But sometimes I want to drink it myself, but don't want the equivalent of having to drink two beers.

mrkmrk likes this.
  7. Madoo25

Madoo25 Apr 1, 2013 Texas

I would really like to see some JK six-packs. Just about every other brewery does them so they can't be that hard.

8. bccocx

bccocx Jan 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Do you have any idea how much a bottling system costs? I'm not trying to shoot you down here, but they have a bottling system that does 750ml currently. Not all systems can fill 12oz, 500ml, and 750ml. I'm assuming if they are about to do 500ml, their system supports it or they bought another bottling system.

mrkmrk and Clonies720 like this.
  9. kmello69

Beer Trader

"Atrial Rubicite is made from well water, barley, wheat, hops, farmhouse yeast, native yeast from the Texas Hill Country, souring bacteria and raspberries. It’s 5.8% alcohol by volume, has a finishing gravity of 1.005 and is 3.36 pH. It is unfiltered, unpasteurized and 100% bottle conditioned. Atrial Rubicite is our first beer to be packaged exclusively in 500 ml bottles"

10. ChanceK

Which begs the question, will others be bottled in 500 ml bottles?? I would assume so, but ya never know.

Clonies720 likes this.
  11. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Anything from the Coolship I am guessing.

Clonies720 likes this.
  12. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Feb 4, 2009 Oklahoma

I'm shifting all of my production to 500ml. I'll pack my first beer in them next month. Still debating which shape we will use.

Clonies720 likes this.
  13. kmello69

Beer Trader

That was my assumption too - maybe just moving the sours and, eventually, the coolships to the smaller bottles like RR and Allagash. Who knows, though - maybe Jeff or Ron will chime in and clear this up

14. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Dec 1, 2009 Mexico
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I also would still like six packs of JK stuff. Or even 12 oz four packs.
    500 ml bottles seem like just fancy packaging to command a higher price per ounce of liquid. Just like the current bomber and 750ml market.

twiggamortis420 likes this.
  15. BK1017

BK1017 Nov 9, 2009 Texas

Not exactly, sport.

The 'fancy' sours that we all have a hard on for are fermented with wild yeast and bacteria, many of which can consume more complex sugars that brewers yeast cannot. So, if JK was to package in 12oz regular bottles, and those bottles sat for a period of time with said residual sugar, there would be a high probability of having exploding bottles. Also, many of the sour styles benefit from a higher level of carbonation (+/- 4 volumes of CO2 vs 2-3 for regular styles), which would be too much for regular glass to handle.

Yes it is fancy. Yes it more expensive. Yes it is necessary for these styles.

BK

16. kmello69

Beer Trader

Science - I do not understand it, but I'm very happy when someone explains it to me. Thanks for the explanation!

17. Clonies720

Interesting. Aren't there sours in 12oz bottles though? How do they do it then? Filter out the yeast before packaging?

18. kmello69

Beer Trader

Maybe because of pasteurization? (I'm totally guessing here)

19. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

... My Avery sours disagree with you.

20. BK1017

BK1017 Nov 9, 2009 Texas

Yes those do exist. I just had a Der Dolen Kriek last night in a regular 12oz bottle. It worked for that particular bottle because the "sour beer" was not actually sour at all. I drain poured it b/c it was cloying sweet and left a sugary residue on my teeth. So I presume that particular brewery does not use wild yeast or bacteria and if they do, they filter everything out.

Orval is interesting bottle. That particular glass is very heavy and I've used it to bottle my sours without incident. But it appears to be pretty regular looking. Other small package sours that I have seen (like RR Supplication) are in 500ml belgian style bottles that are corked and caged. If it's in regular glass and is labeled as a sour, it's probably not very "sour" (from personal experience).

It just comes down to what the carbonation level of the beer is after fermentation, how much residual sugar is left, what yeasts are still present, and the desired volume of CO2 for serving. Simple.

Class dismissed.

BK

Clonies720 likes this.
  21. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Jun 28, 2010 Texas

We don't have any plans right now to put any other beers in 500ml bottles. We opted for 500ml for Atrial Rubicite so there would be more bottles to go around.

- Jeff

22. jesterkingbeer

There's probably a good chance of that. Although, at this point I'm only cautiously optimistic the beer we sent through the coolship this winter will turn out. It's fermenting well and has some nice flavors and aromas already, but it has a long way to go. It's three months into what is likely a 24 to 36 month fermentation. Regardless of how our 2012 coolship beer turns out, we're going to keep working on it until we get it right.

- Jeff

23. Clonies720

If you determine it's not up to snuff for bottling and selling, I volunteer to dispose of it. :)

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  24. E-DUBB

E-DUBB Nov 21, 2012 Texas

i'd dispose of it........right into my bottling bucket. LOL

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  25. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Sep 21, 2012 Texas

The day you taste a wild beer that didn't turn out well will be the day you take that statement back.

26. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

You have a ballpark figure on how many bottles will be available?

27. air

air Mar 28, 2007 Texas

Definitely. Not all wild beers are created equal and there are a LOT of misses for the really good stuff we see.

28. jesterkingbeer

We have about 200 cases (12 x 500ml), some of which have already been allocated to special events.

- Jeff

Walt, mrkmrk, starkmarvelo and 2 others like this.
  29. Clonies720

I've already had Ranger Creek

*Couldn't resist one more shot. I'm done now. Promise*

HopAG likes this.
  30. Daemose

Daemose Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Thats not bad. thats about the same as funk and uberkind right?

31. reverseapachemaster

I guess I've been fortunate that none of my Ranger Creek bottles have been infected. However, as bad as infected beers can be they are rarely match the terror of a wild beer disaster.

blatherbeard likes this.
  32. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Especially a homebrew wild barrel aged belgian......god that was awful! lol

33. Clonies720

On a serious note though, does Fantome count? Tried like 3-4 at the Houston funk/sour share and they each made me want to hurl, save for one which was barely passable.

34. reverseapachemaster

Probably. Who knows what is fermenting those beers.

air likes this.
  35. Lutter

Fantome seems to be having a bad year. Jelly beer, weird odor/taste (burnt rubber) and variations in other things people don't think about normally like color.

I've had some exceptional bottles in the past and some wonderful vintages... when Danny is on his game, he can't be beat as far as saisons go, but the art of his craft has turned into painting with shit on walls the last year or two.

HopAG likes this.
  36. Clonies720

Bad year? I thought Fantome/Dany has had this problem for a while.

37. Lutter

It's gotten worse, lol.

38. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

The inconsistency has always been there, but now hes just consistently bad. Although I thought the Magic Ghost I opened recently was really good, but that was probably a 2011 or 2012 bottle.

Daemose likes this.
  39. Daemose

Daemose Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had one that tasted like fresh motor oil.

Clonies720 likes this.
  40. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Oct 7, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

The recent Fantomes I've had have all been pretty drinkable. Printemps and Hiver at the Funk tasting were quite good, and the Magic Ghost wasn't bad either.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe