JK Noble King question

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by lefty12, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

I don't know about anyone else, but the suspense is killing me.:p

ExperimentalAles likes this.
  2. jsboots21

jsboots21 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2009 Tennessee

Have you had Prairie Hop? Wondering how it compares to that since both are reasonably available hoppy farmhouse ales.

3. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Aspirant (258) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

We've had a few fermentations finish below 1.000, such as Viking Metal. Here's the lab report:

[​IMG]

4. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

I disagree that there's a "right one" for me.

I've had many, many brett beers, including Cooked Stave. At some point, I stopped banging my head against the wall and accepted that I am sensitive to brett and that I don't like it. I'm not judging you for enjoying it.

JK was just a fine brewery for me, with many non-brett, non-sour, very tasty offerings. If the way they want to take their business is to dump brett and bacteria into everything, then good for them. I won't be partaking, but I wish them well in growing their business and doing what they feel they need to to be successful.

It's not clear to me that this is the direction they're going with everything, though, so I guess we'll find out when Jeff posts the blog he mentioned.

5. HopAG

HopAG Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Really cool that you guys are doing funky regular stuff now.

I would love to see how a Funky Prince would taste or a Funky Rodeo would be like!

Dreams

Nablock and rainerschuhsler like this.
  6. lefty12

lefty12 Initiate (132) Feb 6, 2010 Texas

Ive had Prairie Hop and I felt NK was more earthy hoppy. I think PH uses Simcoe and Citra and NK is using Noble Hops(Saaz and EK Goldlings.) I thought NK had a touch of sourness. Not as much as the true sours JK makes but I could taste the mix of farmhouse yeast, brett, wild yeast, and bacteria that JK likes to use.

jsboots21 likes this.
  7. jamescain

jamescain Meyvn (1,001) Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Everyone has styles they don't like. I don't like big boozy sweet beers. I just wanted to make sure we were not writing Brett off because of only a few experiences with it. There is very little known about it at this point and time and there are very few strains available for homebrewers at this time, although there are many, many strains. Out of curiosity what is it about Brett that you don't like? Sorry if you already posted that.

8. jesterkingbeer

This is taking me longer than I anticipated to write. Once I get the post up, I'll answer any and all questions on this thread.

wiingman, Nablock, TTUJohn and 3 others like this.
  9. lefty12

So, do I win anything for being the first to recognize these changes? I could always use the challenge of convincing my wife to travel to Austin two weekends in a row.

HopAG likes this.
  10. Danielbt

It's hard to put into words, but there's an acrid mustiness, that funk people love, that just over-powers all the rest of the flavors that people generally talk about. I get the barnyard, wet horse-blanket all the time, from every brett beer. I can smell it coming from a mile away.

I have had some brett'd beer where the brett wasn't completely overwhelming, but I had to ignore it to taste the rest of the beer. It seems pointless to drink a beer for which you have to "taste around" one of the major flavor components.

11. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (457) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I was thinking about doing some small batches of mead to practice brewing while I read up on beer brewing more. I came across some simple recipes for 1 gal batches.
    Are there any honey substitutes you can recommend? (GF is allergic to honey.)

HopAG likes this.
  12. army01

army01 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 Texas

My wife rolls her eyes every time I start filling up the sink to make the labels easier to peel. One day, I might actually do something with them....

tx_beer_man and EA728 like this.
  13. EA728

EA728 Aspirant (219) Jul 17, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I get the same looks from my girlfriend. She finally got me a scrapbook to put them in, although most are sitting all over my study instead...

Jvrdz24 and HopAG like this.
  14. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

I agree which is why I stay away from certain styles as well. Just thought is ask. I have brewed a few 100% Brett beers and some strains are definitely funky, whereas, others are very clean. I want to keep experimenting with Brett fermentations since there isn't much out there on them. So far I've only tried IPAs. Some let the hops shine through and ate very fruity and a different strain pretty much ate up ask the hops and produced some ethyl acetate.

I was just curious if you've had any Brett primary fermentations that were not intended to be funky. Most breweries that use Brett want it to be funky.

15. TomTown

TomTown Disciple (319) Feb 7, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Although this isn't an example within Jester King's catalogue, the first thing that came to my mind were these that are both fermented 100% with Brett Trois:

http://moderntimesbeer.com/beer/special-release

16. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

17. Heretic42

Heretic42 Devotee (407) Aug 31, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

The Brewing Network had Chad Yakobson from Crooked Stave on last year and the qualities of different brett strains came up there as well. Pretty interesting and accessible discussion (I'm not a homebrewer); it was the first time I'd heard about brett being used in non-"funky" ways.

I guess it's time to pick up some OG Noble King so I can do a side-by-side.

nsheehan likes this.
  18. jesterkingbeer

19. Lotekduc

Lotekduc Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2010 Texas

I support this change and look forward to the up coming beers.

20. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

I support this and am happy for the change. I'm sure others wont like it but there are plenty of other options out there for clean ales.

21. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

I just got a long email from Jester King that I think is very relevant to the topic...

22. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's the same as their blog post.

kmello69 and jsboots21 like this.
  23. Lutter

Yo face is the same as the blog post! Bam!

starkmarvelo likes this.
  24. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've got a 9/9/13 Noble King that I will be celebrating Halloween with this evening. Very much a fan of the change!

25. nsheehan

Beer Trader

I think I'll buy a bottle of OG NK as well.

@jesterkingbeer
    Will this affect other beers like the Wunderkinds or RU55? Or are those already 'Farmhouse enough'?
    Also, if you had to guess, how many people will be at JK on 11/9 for the AHA rally?
    I sent the JK info@ account an email a while ago, and am just looking to make sure the AHA rally isn't going to be massive.

26. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

Has the new Noble King been distributed yet? I'd really like to pick up a bottle and taste the difference.

27. Nablock

Nablock Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I love this. Good job Jeff. Very few breweries are truly unique, and contain a sense of place. I'm glad you are differentiating yourself from the rest of the brewing community.

Indytruks138 and HopAG like this.
  28. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

It should only affect beers that do not have Brett or bacteria.

29. Lutter

Uh... so... I was wondering... what's gonna happen to a Black Metal with this change?

Is it gonna become Funk Metal Lite? ;)

HopAG likes this.
  30. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Awesome! I know.

31. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Disciple (379) May 17, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

@jesterkingbeer Have Black Metal and Wytchmaker already made the transition to your farmhouse standard, or will they also change to incorporate additional yeasts and lactic acid bacteria?

32. Danielbt

33. nsheehan

Beer Trader

So pretty much only the beers that say Farmhouse Yeast (only) on the JK beer page (e.g. what rainer said) will get a change to be like most of the others as far as type of yeast: Farmhouse Yeast, Wild Yeast from the Texas Hill County?
    They must still use the brewer's yeast as part of their yeast blend.
    Not that you know JK's thoughts, but you seem to know a lot about wild yeast.

34. jesterkingbeer

It will to some extent. The incorporation of wild organisms and bacteria into our primary fermentations will have an impact on the flavors and aromas that subsequently develop during long-term barrel aging. We have beer that's been in oak for about two months now that was inoculated at the outset of fermentation. We're pretty excited about how it's developing. We'll try to create blends that are relatively consistent with prior batches once the beer is mature.

I haven't checked recently to see how attendance for the AHA rally is shaping up. I'll have to check with the AHA.

HopAG and nsheehan like this.
  35. jesterkingbeer

It hasn't hit TX distribution yet, but it's now available at our brewery.

36. jesterkingbeer

Wytchmaker has. We'll bottle/keg it next week. At this point, the kettle and dry hops largely overshadow the wild characteristics in my opinion. Black Metal hasn't been brewed yet with our house blend of microorganisms.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  37. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

Technically i think any saccharomyces is brewers yeast. And I think brettanomyces is just misunderstood. If you read about it you'll see it's just the better version of saccharomyces

nsheehan likes this.
  38. nsheehan

Beer Trader

I see what you did there.

39. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (176) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Nablock likes this.
  40. lefty12

Hows the muscat grape brew coming along?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.