Judging my neighbors beer choices

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zeff80, Apr 11, 2017.

1. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (6,218) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

So my city has translucent blue recycling bags for glass, plastic and aluminum. When I take my dog for a walk on trash day mornings, I can't help looking at my neighbor's recycling bags and silently judging their beer choices. Or nodding in approval when I see people drink good stuff. Anyone else do this? Is it just me? Should I seek counseling?

2. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (475) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Judge not lest ye be judged.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,451) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Seek counseling by way of pouring a coffee stout into a mug and taking it on your walk.

tobelerone, Gajo74, runmn and 21 others like this.
  4. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Defender (607) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

5. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,435) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Covet not thy neighbor's trash.

6. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Aspirant (285) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

One man's trash is another man's treasure...

DarthVorador, VABA, nc41 and 7 others like this.
  7. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,252) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I would do the same

warrendietrich2001, nc41, BSW and 2 others like this.
  8. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (55) Nov 6, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

It's more fun to judge their parenting than their beer choices. Let people drink what they drink, whether it's local beer or big beer, locally-roasted coffee or conglomerate coffee. Judge them for greater crimes than their beverage.

DarthVorador and zeff80 like this.
  9. zeff80

Even if it's full of Foster's and Heineken Light?

10. zeff80

They can judge my recycling bags any day.

scottakelly likes this.
  11. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,015) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

:-)

They already do....

lester619 and zeff80 like this.
  12. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (543) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It only gets weird if you start a convo with them by saying something like. "So I noticed by your trash that you have excellent taste in beer".

13. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (749) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

There is a special sort of stupidity in paying a premium for light beer.

rypkr, PatrickCT, mikeinportc and 5 others like this.
  14. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (262) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Me in real life.

15. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (737) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Not my neighbors but the folks who lived on the mail route I delivered for 30 years. Willing to bet the carrier who delivers your mail does the same thing.

mikeinportc, JrGtr, rronin and 4 others like this.
  16. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,451) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I wonder if s/he goes "huh, I've never seen that beer before. I wonder where this dude gets all of these." as s/he drops off the fourth six-pack sized package on my porch for the week. :wink:

jdell15, zeff80 and dennis3951 like this.
  17. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,913) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Saw 2 full cans of Keystone Light on the sidewalk in my apartment complex this weekend. No one claimed them I guess, or did they, but they were gone yesterday. Hopefully they just got trashed.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

18. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (465) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I once did this (well...not with trash). Now I envy the people who get great joy from Bud Light. Theirs is the easy path, with less cost, fewer calories, no hassles, no lines. I'm done trying to convert anyone too.

ikapaMK, PatrickCT, steve50 and 11 others like this.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,013) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This for days.

Sabtos likes this.
  20. kell50

kell50 Meyvn (1,014) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

One man's trash is another man's.. trash.

Premo88 likes this.
  21. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Champion (824) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

That is pretty funny. I always get a good laugh when I hear a neighbor dump their bottles into their can and its a massive amount of noise, always a sign of a a good evening had, cheers!!

BrewsOverHoes and zeff80 like this.
  22. zeff80

In college my roommates and I had a recycle bin for cans that was an empty box that a washing machine came in. We received comical reactions when we took it to the recycling center.

meefmoff, AZBeerDude72 and FBarber like this.
  23. jcos

jcos Aspirant (243) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

I watch my local NFL team with the same friends every Sunday. One of our friends loves light beer, though he has grown to taste some of the craft we have. If light beer makes somebody happy, who am I to judge?

24. marquis

marquis Crusader (717) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

It all falls back on opinion.You regard the beers you like as "good" beers , why should your neighbours not be entitled to their own preferences?

25. Riff

Riff Zealot (582) May 12, 2016 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Not really, the recycling here is done by taking it to dumpsters at a recycling center. Will look though, more out of curiosity if anyone else is drinking craft.

About the only person I judged, was when I lived in my house a few hours south of here. Every Saturday morning we'd wake up to the cans of Milwaukee's Best he threw out of his truck driving up and down the street late at night.

26. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Initiate (182) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I initially thought that this post was a bit of a joke. After reading people'a reactions, I am not sure how serious to take OP.

If you are judging them like "F you - you piece of S**t Budweiser loving nazi." That seems a bit harsh. But if you are instead just kind of "judging" the same way that anyone that has ever had a car brand they trust, and you see someone driving the one brand you don't...then I don't see the harm. Not like you are unwilling to be friendly. Everyone judges - it is just whether they admit it. -Even those free-loving hippies who claim they don't. Try feeding them meat from Wal-Mart and see how quick that changes.

For the record, I judge every non college kid for drinking shitty lagers and light be. I also judge everyone between the ages of 18 and 45 if they think Grocery store coffee is "good." My mother still drinks folgers. *cringe.* (-And for the record, I have surpassed the "Starbucks" is good and have leaped right into the same realm of craft beer for coffee: craft roasters. I happily pay $25-40/pound for coffee.).

Again, not like I am unfriendly with someone.

steve50 and JayORear like this.
  27. woodchipper

woodchipper Defender (689) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Subscriber

I bring my bottles and cans to an unmanned collection site where the local Boy Scouts process them once a month for funds. I too judge what I see, however in my situation the bags have anonymity. I don't feel too bad about it. I think its natural for people as into beer as we are.

I remember 7-8 years ago when I still had two boys in Scouts and craft beer was "slightly" smaller. In this small town, my guys used to come back from bottle drive duty and tell me the other kids were marveling at the variety in our recycling bags but also complaining because they had more sorting work than with bags full of one brand/size of a BMC.

28. gibgink

gibgink Crusader (729) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Ever since I saw Cory King drinking a can of Busch Light while taking credit card payments during a Side Project release, I stopped judging what people drink.

29. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Devotee (488) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia

I do this quite often, we have those green tubs for recycling and when I walk the dog on Sundays before pick up- I'm always observing the cans/bottles in the surrounding house's tubs to see if I recognize anything, more of an entertainment thing than judging.:wink: There's always plenty of Milwaukee's Best cans at one particular house. But I'm sure the people that walk by mine think: "whoever lives here must not have much of a liver left.":grimacing:

mikeinportc, DrStiffington and VABA like this.
  30. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,112) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I don't judge, I actually always have at least one aal on hand. Sometimes all I want is a cheap fuzzy yellow lager.

frozyn and Harrison8 like this.
  31. rgordon

rgordon Defender (693) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We have those big brown recycle bins with wheels that are picked up twice a month. The big garbage truck picks it up with little dinosaur arms, lifts it and tosses the contents in the truck. My neighbors don't so much SEE what we drink, but they sure as hell HEAR it!

mikeinportc, frozyn, bret717 and 3 others like this.
  32. Premo88

Premo88 Meyvn (1,371) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

@John_Beeryman's "Don't do it" = best advice :sunglasses:. Only I'd add a "!" at the end. :stuck_out_tongue: It can help nobody in the end ...

John_Beeryman likes this.
  33. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (465) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I think the implication is merely the lighter version of judging, putting down AAL or among some people here, even stuff like Sam or Harpoon or whatever. Telling people they need to try a real beer, even if politely...just like in Stone's old advertisements. I've done that. I think many people here have.

I guess I'm saying, I'm done with even that. I'm simply not going to notice or comment on what people drink anymore except in a positive way, unless I'm with people where we are drinking beer critically with that purpose in mind. Turning over a new leaf in that regard, and I feel better for it. I mean seriously, it's just beer.

34. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (359) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

To answer your questions...

Anyone else do this?

No

Is it just me?

Yes

Should I seek counseling?

Probably...oh and stop digging through your neighbors trash!
    That behavior, if viewed by your neighbors = creepy.

zeff80 and DrumKid003 like this.
  35. Squire123

Especially in a suitcase on sale.

Scott17Taylor and VABA like this.
  36. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Initiate (182) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Gotcha. I've never said anything to anyone. Actually. My beer community is basically just me. The few people at my work that I occasionally drink beer with generally favor the craft variety (although by that they generally lean more towards whatever brewery is nearby rather than going to the extent that many BA drinkers do), but then they also drink Milw Beast.

I've long done ditched trying to say anything to anyone that would try to change their mind about anything. -That ended when I stopped having conversations with people about politics. Gross.

bubseymour and DrStiffington like this.
  37. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This is me. When I walk my dog I glance at my neighbors' recycling. I know most of them so no real surprises but I DO wonder what the recycling guys think of the dozens of almost all different craft cans that fill up my recycling containers every two weeks. Unless they're into craft they'd have to be like, "what the fuck is all this shit?"

mikeinportc, rgordon, bret717 and 3 others like this.
  38. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (96) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Dude, no judging. I love to get PBR when I'm out and I see it.

Brolo75 and Harrison8 like this.
  39. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (183) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

All my empties don't fit into a tub, I need a full garbage can with wheels! And my recycling guys love me for it. Well, probably not, but I often wonder what they are thinking when they see the can full to the top every other week. haha

I do throw them a four pack on Christmas for having to put up with lifting my cans up every 2 weeks. Sorry guys. :slight_smile:

40. Squire123

We donate all our cans to the animal shelter who collects them for scrap but if a neighbor were to bump into one of our bags there's a better than even chance they would hear bottles clink.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.