Juiced IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pro45, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro45

pro45 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Basically, I've grown tired of them and they no longer capture my taste buds. Palate fatigue?? Not quite sure. I guess I joined the band wagon when they first came on the scene, but now, they taste too artificial. I am craving the piney, hoppy, dank, weedy, malty IPA.

What are the IPA's that you usually gravitate towards? Or are you okay with the juice forward IPA's? I won't mention any specific brews, but some of them seem to be trying too hard to push the aggressive orange/grapefruit flavors without proper balance.

HorseheadsHophead and Ale_Jedi like this.
  2. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Welcome back.

Ale_Jedi and breadwinner like this.
  3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,194) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Which IPAs do I gravitate towards? All of them.

I enjoy some piney, resiny bitter-biting IPAs as much as I enjoy the roided out 16oz juice cans. I try to maintain a balance in my fridge between each coast and Midwest IPAs, that way there is always something tasty to drink. Otherwise, I find myself getting too fatigued on a particular style or flavor profile.

4. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

I like a variety of IPAs, I don't gravitate towards one particular style of IPA as there are so many choices today. As far as IPAs with adjuncts, most of the time I find the adjuncts taking over the beer so I rarely purchase those.

dennis3951 likes this.
  5. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (648) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

6. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

I gravitate towards things I haven't tried. Just picked up the Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop Pack for Christmas Eve and could not be more excited. But if I picked up a super bitter double IPA or a juicy Tree House beer I'd be equally excited. Guess I just really like IPA's, go figure!

7. Bobgass

Bobgass Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2017 New York
    Society

Definitely not tired of juice bomb IPAs, but I allow that that could happen sometime in the future.

I am frustrated that I do have to drive some distance in order to locate the beers I truly desire, which tend to be closer to the Atlantic coast and or up in Vermont. These trips constitute the number one "mental health day" off from work.

In my fridge at the moment, pretty easy to get nearby, are Melvin IIPAs--2x4 and Citradamas. Also the Stone Enjoy by 12/25/17.

Squirreling away my few remaining TH offerings to share at Christmas....

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I love em all from palate scrapers to all late addition non bitter hazy hop attacks. A new one I have come to enjoy is the sour NEIPA with fruit and other additions. I have had a few versions from different brewers but the ones made by Hudson Valley Brewery are amazing.

9. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I enjoy the bite/bitterness of a west coast then the smoother east cost juicy IPA. For now no burn out actually enjoying the contrasting styles. As long as they are well made it works for me.

CrimeDog, mkh012 and dcotom like this.
  10. IPAExpert69

Tried the Almanac Sour IPA and it was definitely a unique beer. Give that a try if you like that style.

TongoRad and cavedave like this.
  11. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,645) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

No palate fatigue in this corner. There are so many things that complement natural hop flavors, not only fruits but herbs as well. I enjoy them all.
    I thought Exit 16 was phenomenal. :wink:

SammyJaxxxx and Immortale25 like this.
  12. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (762) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts

I'm in a similar boat - getting a bit tired of the juice bombs. I've found the Melvin IPAs (Asterisk, 2X4) have been a nice return to some nice bitter hop forward beers.

jakecattleco likes this.
  13. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,881) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I don’t have access to a lot of juice bombs, so there’s no worry about palate fatigue...I like most American IPAs, but I lean more toward citrus, and tropical fruit styles than pine/resin/hemp-bombs

BWood, mkh012 and IPAExpert69 like this.
  14. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,953) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

I basically like all IPAs, but for now, at least, liking the NE Style the most.

Cheers!

CrimeDog, mkh012 and cavedave like this.
  15. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (648) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I find the fruit-forward IPAs taste good and they are in my beer rotation, but the style is overdone and differences between them are minor that they mostly interchangeable, which makes them at little boring to me. I like variety.

It's not just me who finds the current IPA flavor trends interchangeable though, because the same people who previously favored the safe sameness of macro beer flavors are drifting to the safe sameness of IPAs. I know several people who 5 years ago were mainly macro beer drinkers who now will go into a bar and literally order "whatever IPA is on tap." I am not exaggerating, they often don't even look at the brewery or beer name before ordering. For some people ordering an IPA is becoming the beer version of ordering the "house white wine" where the maker doesn't matter.

champ103 likes this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Will do, will look for it next time in town. Thanks for the tip.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  17. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Pro-tip: if you drink a lot of different kinds of beers, you won't get tired of one type.

18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hah! I guess adding IPA to something guarantees bigger sales. I've always enjoyed hoppy sours, even before they adopted the new moniker :wink:.

SFACRKnight and IPAExpert69 like this.
  19. EvenMoreJesus

"Dry hopped sour" is SO much more accurate, but . . . . marketing.

20. IPAExpert69

And even though I know this I'll still pay more for some gimmicky cross style :wink: What's wrong with my brain?

TongoRad likes this.
  21. TongoRad

Society Trader

Yup. It's just not something new, I suppose, but grew out of those hopped up 'Saisons.'
    For me, that depends on if they feature Brett :slight_smile:. Trinity did one about 2 years ago with Brett and kumquats that was off the hook; well worth the $7-8 per bottle.

SFACRKnight and IPAExpert69 like this.
  22. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (782) May 7, 2015 Colorado

The good ones don't :wink:

I'm still riding the NE-IPA wave, I'm just more selective with which ones I buy now, and I drink wild ales, porters, etc. so I don't get fatigued.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  23. pro45

Yeah, I try and drink a variety of styles, however, the IPA's I've been having is almost always the juiced up variety. I guess I'm looking for the Hoy Grail but coming up short. Might be time for a break until I hit upon a juiced IPA that is going to blow my mind... Sort of...

24. zid

zid Meyvn (1,267) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

How are you defining a “juiced IPA?”

25. pro45

Citrus, especially oranges and grapefruit, overpowering the hops. The artificial aspects of trying "too hard". I actually like Grapefruit Sculpin, but others are not as balanced with the hops. pine, and the malty/dank qualities. I think I need to get some Ruination and DFH 120 and drink them for a while. LOL.

26. EvenMoreJesus

I find that there is no need to add citrus fruits (zest, specifically) to hoppy beers as there are plenty of hops that excellently emulate said fruits without adding the actual fruit. Other tropical fruits, however, are a different story.

27. pro45

I agree, yes.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  28. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (782) May 7, 2015 Colorado

What are some of the best juicy (NE) IPAs you've had? Have you had anything from Tree House, Trillium, Other Half, Sand City, Monkish, etc.?

29. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (514) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

One thing that's been clear to me is that with this hazy IPA craze is that some people do it much better than others. And there are certainly examples I've had that kind of have this weird malty flavor that I can't describe but don't really enjoy. Maybe it's yeast-driven esters or something.

Weldwerks created a line called "Fruity Bits" and it's a line of revolving fruited IPAs like Pina Colada, Peaches and Cream, etc. The Pina Colada one is amazing.

I recently had the J. Wakefield and OH collab "Florida Plates" that was sensational.

I enjoyed the Civil Society 2nd Anniversary DIPA (that had fruit added).

OTOH, I've had several stone fruited IPAs that have been ... lackluster.

mkh012 likes this.
  30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,812) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Red swingline? They did red swing on apricots that was so good.

TongoRad likes this.
  31. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

It's already been said, but worth repeating. Take a break, try different styles, then come back. If something local and juicy comes out, then don't miss out, but stop chasing juicy whales and chase something else for a little while. The whales will still be there when you're ready to chase again.

32. EvenMoreJesus

Possibly yeast bite?

33. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Absolutely true. I had a longish IPA run, but find they didn't satisfy as much as they do while mixing the night with some other styles.

34. zid

zid Meyvn (1,267) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Apologies for being confused. Are you talking about beers with fruit flavorings added to them or beers where the hops are contributing fruity flavors (if you get my drift)? I don’t know if it makes sense to lump them together. Sounds like you mean the former even though some others are talking about the latter.

mkh012 likes this.
  35. TongoRad

Society Trader

No, this one was Menacing Kumquat - the fruit and Citra hops played off each other perfectly.

That Red Swingline sounds really good, though.

Cnote_crafty_1 likes this.
  36. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

I agree with you. I’ve noticed these flavors so dominant 10-15 years ago, are coming back into vogue. The pendulum appears to be slowly swinging back the other way...or at least toward the middle. I’ve had (and made) some excellent hazy/juicy IPAs but I’ll take a heavily hopped Apollo/Columbus IPA over most of the juice-bombs anyday.

TongoRad likes this.
  37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,812) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Jason at trinity is an upity asshole, but he can balance a beer like nobody's business.

TongoRad likes this.
  38. EvenMoreJesus

Not a big fan, either, but he does make some great beer.

See, there? We agreed on something. :wink:

SFACRKnight likes this.
  39. TongoRad

Society Trader

That he can!

And I'll keep that other part in mind if I'm ever out that way :wink:.

40. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (75) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

@pro45 Try a few single hop Mosaic beers to switch the flavor up. Not sure about what the east coast has to offer, but TG's Pompeii and Sosus will do your taste buds wonders and not taste like orange or grapefruit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.