Julio's Beer Fest today (?)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by mrz200, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (124) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

we all know & love Julio's, anyone been to their beer fest? As it turns out I've got a few hours open in the middle of the day and I'm thinking of making the drive.

can't see much chatter or 'like's on social media, so I'm just curious how shit-showey this is expected to be, or has been in the past?

Seems like the best store in Mass throwing a free event with most of the best breweries in the state on a good weather day when the Pats aren't playing is a recipe for a big crowd. Then again, there's no super special releases being poured, it's more about showcasing regular offerings that are/will be sold at Julio's.

Trillium, Night Shift & Jack's Abbey are on the list. Debut (?) of Exhibit A brewing, who took of JA's old space.

I'm most interested in more from Bldg8, who's IPA I only know of because of Julio's, Brick & Feather & Cold Harbor.

2. seanwhite

seanwhite Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts

Low key but great events.

mrz200 likes this.
  3. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (357) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Exhibit A has been available at Yankee for a few weeks now

YS1977 and mrz200 like this.
  4. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (646) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Julio's always runs great events, I've attended their whiskey and wine tastings with no complaints. Was looking forward to this but happened to get tapped for taking a seat at the Pats game later.

5. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (124) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

I got there around 3, stayed about 40 minutes. I was "that guy" with his 3 year old, so I left while I was still ahead of the game...

The Event:
    1) really cool event, everyone was friendly, and the Julio's folks were having fun (I think?).
    2) In addition to the sampling, everything was on sale. And if you shop at Julio's, you know that it's already the lowest priced place around.
    3) pretty easy to move around, although man this would have been sweet had it been outside, even just in the parking lot. Of course, not every mid November Sunday is gonna be 55 & sunny.
    4) After thinking about it, this type of event - focused on regular offerings, not festival one-offs that generate mayhem and line waiting - is my favorite. anxiety free.

The Beers:
    1) Everyone had 1-2 IPA's. I'd been on a short & self-imposed IPA hiatus, so this hit me perfect.
    2) Building 8 didn't physically make it, but there was a Julio's employee pouring The IPA cans. Love that beer, was hoping to try more styles from them, but they were still my first, and last, stop of the afternoon.
    3) Best beer I tried was Brick & Feather's Pale Ale, this jumped out of the glass, in nose & flavor. delicious.
    4) Followed closely by Exhibit A's "Demo Tape 8: Simcoe Oat Pale Ale". This felt very similar to NS's Whirlpool...mostly due to the ability to drink it for days. IPA was very good too. I headed straight for the cooler and bought 4 packs of each.
    5) Maybe it was the Night Shift overflow, but it seemed like Medusa & Cold Harbor had the biggest "lines" of the day. Wish I'd tried Cold Harbor, oh well.

Overall:
    We have a lot of great breweries here in Massachusetts. Should a ranking ever be definitively made, I'd put our top 3 up against anyone, and I'd also put our #20 through #25 up against anyone. Unlike the Patriots secondary, we have a ton of depth.

Thanks Julio's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.