June 2019 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by garymuchow, Jun 3, 2018.

1. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,894) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Well okay then. I'll get this party started.
    2014 Allagash Tripel
    I was only mildly pleased with this one originally, compared to my score on other tripels. Maybe I hoped aging would improve it.
    Doughy, lemon zest, a little spice and a little cardboard. Gold, mostly clear and firm, dense white head.
    Still has a little sparkle and crackle and bite. Dries out nicely with just a hint of hop flavor and very soft bitterness. Malt has faded a little and just enough oxidation to show and taint, but not a lot.
    Still holds adequate to better carbonation with a pleasant softness and fullness.
    I don't know if this has changed a whole lot. I'm learning tripels don't change all that much with time. This is still a good enough drink to enjoy.
    Cheers.

2. garymuchow

Beer Trader

Duchesse De Bourgogne Best Before 5/1/2014
    Aroma holds more vinegar and wine like qualities with a reduced fruitiness. Some oxidation (cardboard) and old grain. Kinda' cloudy but still holds a nice near tan head. Taste is still fruity and only hints of wine and vinegar. Tartness is reduce and some bits of stale malt.
    Nice soft fullness for a smaller beer.
    Not as good as when fresh (one of my favorites) but really still pleasing.

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,453) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

11/21/11 Palo Santo Marron

Last of my 2011's. Had a feeling this one wouldn't do any better than last time I opened one, about two years ago, and it didn't. Now I/we know. It's why we do this, ayy?

Aroma has diminished even more, and contains sherry notes it didn't have last time opened. No cardboard or papery notes. Dark fruit has faded to a background aroma, and a peachy sweetness that was little noticed in the past has appeared, and gets more delicious and prominent as it warms. There were always nutty, brown bread, rich, doughy, full of thick fruit kind of complex notes, and some roasty and hoppy notes that balanced well the outright fruity sweetness it had. Those elements are here in varying degrees of diminished proportion, with the bitterness of both roast and hop barely present, so it has more of an overwhelming sweet than it used to have. While this review is hardly a good one the fact is this always was a sweet beer, and strongly alcohol present beer, and along the way it developed strong fruit notes that came evident as the strong alcohol of its original form reduced wonderfully, and the more sharp notes gradually mellowed with time. I always considered this was a beer designed for aging, and I believe it is, but for fewer than the 7 years this one has slept. This is less and different than it was, but enjoyable for sure.

tl;dr We are left with a beer that once had strong date bread, fig, plum, and lighter cherry and dark caramel, strong alcohol, and a bit of earthy bitterness. Now it has almost no roast or hop notes to balance what is a less bitter, some sherry to it, still sweet but with peach flavors and much lighter cake, plum and cherry notes

#3 cavedave, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Hoppedelic, AirBob, TheGent and 8 others like this.
  4. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,345) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Weyerbacher Thirteen Belgian Imperial Stout

This is ten years old now and sadly this 13.6% abv beast is past its prime. The carbonation is all but gone. Most of the roasty chocolate I noted in my original review is barely discernible. The plums and raisins are stronger and showing some oxidation. There is an acidic, lingering cherry note at the finish. This is still pretty enjoyable, especially as I move to the second half of the glass. That might be the 13.6 talking.

#4 DIM, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    TheGent, CaptainHate, jmdrpi and 6 others like this.
  5. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,908) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

That beer was my favorite of the Anniversary Series (so far). The Sixteen (Dark Braggot) was a close second though.

DIM and maximum12 like this.
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,744) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Both versions of Fourteen were amazing, as was Twelve. Weyerbacher had a fantastic run of anniversary beers for several years.

Still hanging on to one Twelve & one Thirteen from my original stash. Might be about time.

DIM and jmdrpi like this.
  7. DIM

Beer Trader

My favorite as well, by far. Too bad they had tinker with Tiny. It's very good but comes up a bit short.

jmdrpi likes this.
  8. DIM

Beer Trader

I've had my last 12 around 2 years ago and thought that it held up extremely well. Very viscous sweet and satisfying.

maximum12 likes this.
  9. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (444) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

2015 Ballast Point Indra Kunindra

3.74/5 rDev +1.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 ounce bottle was a gift from a friend moving away dated 12/13/2015. Poured into a pint bottle produced a full dark tan head over a dark brown body. Smell was of an oddly spiced cola aroma, not unpleasant. I'd like to taste this fresh because I think, other than the cayenne, the spices have faded. There's definitely a cayenne burn and I can probably taste the cumin and faded coconut, but I wish it was more distinctive.

It's not bad by any means but probably better fresh.

10. garymuchow

Beer Trader

2010 Bigfoot
    Man this is really smooth. Still looks fantastic. Full head and crystal clear with brown/gold amber color. Tons of lacing. Hop bite is nearly gone. Just a smooth malt character. A little hop left on the finish with taste and a touch of bitterness. Aging seems to thin beers out a bit and that is true for this, but it is still rich and full. Full malt character. Not as sweet as some and no candy or toffee to speak of.
    Probably past prime esp. if one likes the hop flavors, but still an enjoyable drink and worthwhile.

11. AirBob

AirBob Defender (680) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Allagash Farm to Face (July 16, 2015 bottles on date)

1/2 finger of dense white head. Dissipates to a thin white film and large collar within one minute of pouring. Light orange, crystal clear body with very active, visible carbonation.

Pungent nose of white wine, musty basement, sweet vinegar, and stone fruit.

Taste starts funky and slightly tart. Wet horse blanket, oaky white wine, and lemon. Middle of the mouth bring peach and oaky vanilla. Finish is tart lemon and more funk with some white vinegar. Very clean finish. Medium bodied.

This has aged well for a fruited beer. More funky white wine notes even though some of the peach as faded. Still outstanding.
    [​IMG]

12. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (364) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

[​IMG]
    Yup, i held onto a 2013 Celebration in cellar conditions (mostly). I had heard this turned into a barley wine-lite and can confirm that around 2 years thats true. At almost 5, its starting to fall apart. Aroma is wet cardboard with a hint of lime. Up front theres somehow some classic sierra nevada hop profile that opens to a brief hint of malt and ends with a slight roast. Body is a medium to thin

I have a 2014 as well and might hold onto it for longer because why not?

13. BalancingBrooms

[​IMG]
    2014 BCBS: basically everything at this point has melded together but with the barrel being the strongest. I had wished that the barrel had fallen out more with more dark malty chocolate coming forwards but o well. Not sure if this was just in a weird spot for me and more time would help but im willing to see it out till it falls apart. Got some 13's in "cellar" for the long haul

garymuchow, Beer_Economicus and bl00 like this.
  14. BalancingBrooms

[​IMG]
    I wish i had drank this fresh. What made KBS so perfect for me fresh was that every piece of the puzzle shined and worked in perfect harmony. However at a year for me, not surprisingly that distinction had faded. It faded faster than i thought it would and blended into a muddy swirl. I think for some people this would have been really enjoyable but what made KBS perfect for me was lost. Glad i did it, and learned a lot.

15. rypkr

rypkr Champion (806) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I might review a 2018 founders better half for this thread when the time comes...

16. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,908) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

2017 - Cigar City Marshal Zhukov - 22 oz bottle dated 7/13/17 so almost a year. Had this beer previously fresh on draft and thought it was excellent so didn't want to go too long. I had moved to the fridge from the cellar recently, so let it sit out and warm up a bit before pouring.

jet black, pours like used motor oil, with extremely dark brown head. decent head retention. aroma is bitter chocolate and a touch of dark fruit - like a little red wine or black cherry. taste is moderately dry and roasty, with again mostly dark chocolate flavors, rich espresso. full bodied, thick and smooth mouthfeel. overall a very good imperial stout.

[​IMG]

bl00 and BalancingBrooms like this.