Kalamazoo Beer Week 2015

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Fargrow, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

http://www.kalamazoobeerweek.com/

Anybody going to any events? Do you have any favorites from the past or ones you're looking forward to this year? I know it's mostly tastings but it seems like some brewpubs are doing cool things.

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,633) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Yeah, I'll be going to a few events but I have not figured out which ones yet. A Founders dinner at Zazio's last year was cool, but that's not on the schedule this year. Probably any of the Zazio's dinners will be good. I've got to check out One Well so I might go to their event.

3. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Sounds like Gonzo's on Fri 1/16 should be tapping some BA beers. They made it sound like it will be different than their anniversary party Bourbon and Brandy Barrel VP/Stout/Scotch Ale.

I've visited One Well only once so far but loved the vibe there. TJ and Chris seem super passionate and the beers were enjoyable. Plus they have Double Dragon(wat!!), Donkey Kong and a couple pinball machines.

Bung and PapaGoose03 like this.
  4. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

I'll be at all of the Short's events! Hope to see some of you folks!

core42 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  5. Fargrow

It looks like Gonzo's is releasing a new beer each day. I've really enjoyed everything I've had from them so I'll have to stop there sometime. An Epic tap takeover at KBE, Dogfish Head "Minute" sampling (60-61-75-90-120 all in a flight for $10.00) at Jac's, and Jortslam at Bell's all sound good too. I also have been meaning to check out One Well.

6. TheGoof

TheGoof Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

Anyone heard what .rar beers Bell's is having at their Meat, Cheese, and Rare Beer thing? I haven't found a list anywhere. Hoping for at least some Wild One.

7. core42

core42 Zealot (557) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

No Founders events this year due to the sell off. Apparently there's a rule that you must be at least 75% MI owned to be able to participate & since they just sold off 30% internationally they are a no go

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. a1369864214864

a1369864214864 Initiate (22) Jul 19, 2011 North Carolina

I can't tell if you're making a joke (in which case, lol), or if you mean 75% US owned.

9. core42

core42 Zealot (557) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Not a joke, I did mean 75% US owned. The focus is obviously on MI beer first with very few events that include non-MI breweries so I had MI beer on the brain

a1369864214864 likes this.
  10. Fargrow

Haven't heard anything about the beer. Is this event usually worth going to? I wish it was rare meat, cheese, and beer. I had kangaroo at 4 Elf and I think I'm hooked.

11. ColonelHopslam

Worth it imo, this was last years lineup. The meat was more exquisite rather than exotic.

The beers:

• Bourbon Barrel Dagger Stout

• Chocolate Covered Cherry Double Cream Stout

• Toasted Coconut Java Stout

• Breakfast Blend Double Cream Stout

• Le Bretteur

• Aged Third Coast Old Ale 4-year-old Expedition Stout

The meats:

• Coppa

• Salame Cotto

• Delaware Fireball

• Sopressata

• Lomo

• House cure pork belly

• House made white fish pate

• House cured salami

The cheeses:

• Dunbarton Blue

• Vella Dry Jack

• Spanish Mahon

• Smokey Blue

• Black Diamond White Cheddar

• Saint Angel

TheGoof and Fargrow like this.
  12. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (232) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

The tours that Bell's is putting on for their production facility and their original brewery look interesting. I visited their production facility a few weeks ago and it was probably the best brewery/distillery tour I have attended. But it sounds like their going to share a little more for a few select tours during KBW.

13. ColonelHopslam

Any idea what's getting tapped tonight at Harvey's? Need to see if I should plan a family dinner out tonight.

core42 likes this.
  14. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Beard of Zeus
    Aphasia
    Lectronic Lager
    Space Rock
    Bourbon Evil Urges
    Soft Parade
    Pan Galactic

ColonelHopslam likes this.