Kane Brewing (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Sabtos, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Seb_aschn

Seb_aschn Initiate (47) Nov 28, 2018 New Jersey

Strata is banging. I filled up mini growler last week. Accidentally killed it the same day

fdonnelly likes this.
  2. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (213) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

I wasn't a fan of strata.

fdonnelly likes this.
  3. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Aspirant (267) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

I liked Strata, but not one of the best Strata only beers I've had thus far. I ended up getting a fill of Whitehall as my GF and I both liked that better

Mrstiffington likes this.
  4. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (239) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

I enjoyed strata I thought it had a very good balance..

hows the line so far

5. Pork-Roll

Pork-Roll Initiate (43) Jan 15, 2019 New Jersey
    Trader

I am wondering if 2/3 being cognac barrel aged will scare some people off?

6. fdonnelly

Trader

I am wondering if prior BA SB not being better than the normal beer will scare some people off. Honestly if I could walk in with no crowd and get a set maybe I would, but I wouldn't wait for this after my honest opinions on the last one. Hopefully there will be extras or singles in the fridge in the coming weeks b/c I will be out of town this weekend too.

Sabtos likes this.
  7. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,096) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Cognac and coffee tend to go quite well together in hefty barrel aged beers. The best French Vanilla Militia was aged in Armagnac barrels.

I think ultimately it just depends on how pronounced the barrel is in any of the variants. If they were confident in the new results and had a little tasting party prior to and everyone walked away raving about the barrel character in this years new BA SBs, turnout would be bonkers guaranteed. But I'm with the others in that who knows what the turn out will be. Could be low due to experience with prior years non-ba being the preferred versions, or high because of the new look/new barrel set.

8. mumbles44

Trader

weather could play a big factor too...expecting rain.

also OH anniversary is saturday at 10am.. i wonder where the hazebois and pastryladies decide to go

9. Pork-Roll

Trader

Also have asbury beerfest. . . Not sure how much cross over there will be but i am sure there will be some.

10. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (176) Jul 9, 2017 New York

FWIW, this isn't the actual anniversary release for OH. They're doing two weeks of collab rebrews beforehand I believe.

Lucoli and fdonnelly like this.
  11. fdonnelly

Trader

@Feaor got me here.
    #trashfest

Pork-Roll likes this.
  12. Conz

Conz Initiate (23) Jun 29, 2019 New Jersey

anyone wanna take a stab at the line details? They're selling at 10. thinking i might get over there at 8:30. think it'll be crazy by then? i've seen huge lines and lines that didn't pick up til 45 minutes before doors, so i never know.

13. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (211) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Are you on a tight schedule? It's hard to imagine having to wait in line more than an hour and a half no matter what time you get there, so I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind getting there at 8:30 if you're trying to minimize time waiting in line...

14. Conz

i don't know, if i'm going, i like to be one of the first. plus i'm picking up 2 sets for friends so i don't want them to cut it to 2per or something while i'm on line. if i get there that early, i'll post a line update in the thread.

15. Speedy1985

Speedy1985 Initiate (37) May 1, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Early indications are that it will be a shit show, especially with parking. The weather may play a part though with 1-2” of rain expected. I preferred the event brite releases because I’m not a fan of lines, especially if it’s going to be 90 minutes plus.

Mrstiffington and forum8417 like this.
  16. mumbles44

Trader

I have heard from a good amount of people they are passing on this release.

seems like a combination of potential bad weather, pricing, and unsure how the cognac barrel will interact with the beer.

personally I’ll be a last minute decision and hope bottles last into the day but i am not optimistic

17. jonphisher

jonphisher Disciple (329) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Kane is also very slow at dealing with lines, at least from the times I've been and there has been a line. Holy nights there was only like 80-100 people maybe less and it took me an hour and fifteen to get to my bottles, one person ringing up is all I've ever seen there.

I do think bottles will last the day and into the next probably. But anyone's guess is as good as the next.

18. Tim725

Tim725 Disciple (356) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Same as you. If they sell out early, not going to shed a tear. If it lasts into the day, I'll swing by later. After the debacle of waiting in the nor'easter for morning bell a few years ago, have no desire to stand in a long line in the rain EVER again.

19. fdonnelly

Trader

This is short sighted IMO, while I think some people won't drudge out there with the weather and also the Other half releases, there will people who line up before opening. If you get there any time b4 10, you are adding that time to your wait, Kane does not generally sell earlier than their posted times on social media. So say you get there at 9AM thats 1 Hour alone, plus any time for the line itself, which could be 10 deep at 9am or 50 deep, and Kane is notorious for slow moving lines. If you want to guarantee yourself the full allotment for yourself/friends the only way to do so is to get there at least an hour before they open, or see if anyone has posted an update early in the AM. Otherwise there's no way to know how long you are going to wait from 10am when they open. I am not sure where @Conz is coming from, so that adds a layer, if they are close enough they could potentially drive there if its mellow, go back home and come back later, but really within 30 mins it could go from nothing to shit show. I think it won't be terribly bad, but if you NEED to guarantee your self 2+ sets, you can't make an assumption its going to be easy to show up at 10 and be guaranteed a quick trip or a full amount of beer.

20. fdonnelly

Trader

I happend to be on the way down towards kane when the announced MB that day, so I drove over and got in line, I had no jacket or umbrella, that was miserable, thankfully some nice people gave me a poncho and umbrella when it started to rain. What an awful idea!

Tim725 likes this.
  21. mumbles44

Trader

I did this as well, got there early with a friend and we were miserable and soaked... this stood out as my never again moment...and tbh morning bell and ba morning bell may be 2 of my top 3 kane bottles

Tim725 and fdonnelly like this.
  22. William_Navidson

Trader

Agreed about the other factors that could increase a wait if one gets there at 8:30, I was trying to be as generous as possible. 1.5hr+ would have been more accurate, you're right. My point was simply that I highly doubt you're going to be waiting for 1.5hr+ if you get there, say, at anytime beyond 10:30 (reasonable?).. so why would you necessarily add that wait time? I think he answered it with a simple "I like to be first" which is pretty confounding to me, but hey... you do you lol.

And let's be honest, theres zero chance that someone getting there at 11 won't get this, right? Unless Kane seriously screwed up the counts (possible I guess, given how wonky this release looks).

23. fdonnelly

Trader

I agree with everything you are saying and if he wants to be first to be in and out once they open and guarantee his stuff, more power lol. I just think as it stands, from prior experience, even with weather included. Getting there at 1030/11, we really have no clue how deep of a line ther emight be. If the line stretches to around 70-100 near 10/1030, youre def waiting a while, b/c it will be a slow moving line, an hour min I would say from past experience, although they should have all hands on deck since no pouring at that time. You should still get everything, unless they have grossly screwed up the counts, but it wouldnt be the first time it happened right? Either way, cheers to those in line, hopefully I can grab some next Thur haha. I will be venturing out to OH (from my GFs in BK) at some point after the loonies are gone!

William_Navidson likes this.
  24. William_Navidson

Trader

Yup, agree with this as well. The absolute worst move -again, if you're aiming to minimize your time standing in the rain, waiting for beer, as I usually am- would be to get there at 10/10:30. The second worst move would be to get there at 8:30. The best move would be to get there at like 11:00. #LineScience

fdonnelly likes this.
  25. fdonnelly

Trader

haha great hashtag. Best move is to roll in at 230pm with no line and grab a set!

Elfastball7, mkurylko, Tim725 and 2 others like this.
  26. Conz

830am. Obnoxious line already, fyi.

fdonnelly and Mrstiffington like this.
  27. Norexyet

Norexyet Initiate (170) Nov 23, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Obnoxious as in 75-100 or 250?

28. jonphisher

Trader

Kind of shocking, thanks for the update. I was curious how it would turn out.

29. Conz

Already wrapped into parking lot

Mrstiffington and Norexyet like this.
  30. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (120) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I’m not shocked at all. We’ve seen that lines have started going away, but some releases at some breweries still have people coming out hours early (even in horrible weather!). I look forward to the day no one feels the need to do this. IMO it will be better for all us craft beer fans when we can stroll into any brewery on any day and get whatever we want. We’re close, but not quite there yet.

tzieser likes this.
  31. bryantc3

Trader

Just add more fuel to the fire

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7vksK_gYiF/

32. jonphisher

Trader

I do think kane lives for the hype these days. Not a bad thing but they’ve definitely embraced that mentality if that makes sense. The IG pictures for one, remember the simple white kane labels and it was just a four pack picture. All about the look these days it seems. Their beer talks for itself, why jazz it all up? Your post just made me have that sort of thought @bryantc3

tzieser and thedirtystayout like this.
  33. bryantc3

Trader

if you've spent any amount of time on BA over the last year or two; you'll see plenty of people crying about labels for various brands. Hell Kane caught some slack for their label changes from the Old MB/SB/MB to the new labels. People like to complain; Kane got a designer.

34. thedirtystayout

thedirtystayout Initiate (168) Jun 10, 2011 New Jersey

This. I still love Kane, but totally agree. The fact that they don’t put a release on draft until after it sells out. Buying a release blind has been a little more of a gamble the past couple of years imo.

tzieser, Greyvtrayn and jonphisher like this.
  35. Pork-Roll

Trader

Got there at 10:45. 10 min car to car. Kane did a damn good job with this one.

#75 Pork-Roll, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  36. Conz

it moved very quickly once i got inside. definitely seemed faster than usual

fdonnelly and jonphisher like this.
  37. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Initiate (136) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I'm guessing Kane releases were a nightmare in the beginning? I base this on users saying this was going to be a shitshow days before today. My first Kane release ever and it was super smooth sailing. I got there about 20 minutes after they opened just so the line would be underway and I would be able to find parking. Could not have worked out better. Glad Kane figured out how to properly handle a release, again, an assumption based on comments.

Elfastball7 likes this.
  38. Spete888

Spete888 Initiate (58) Apr 18, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Their past few releases have went well. They also must be producing more beer which helps too.

39. Seb_aschn

Seb_aschn Initiate (47) Nov 28, 2018 New Jersey

I don't understand why they do that. If you release a beer, it should be on tap during the release. Nobody else does this shit.
    I wouldn't have purchased Gravitational Partywaves if I had it on tap beforehand. After that, I'm weary about getting hype stuff now. That was a disappointment.

forum8417 and jonphisher like this.
  40. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (120) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

It seems like you answered your own question.

Adrena1ine, fdonnelly and Sabtos like this.