Kane Brewing (January/February 2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NiceBeerCans, Jan 1, 2018.

1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (224) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Kane Brewing: http://www.kanebrewing.com/

Address: 1750 Bloomsbury Ave, Ocean Township, NJ 07712
    We are located behind the Ocean Plaza Shopping Center off Route 35.

Tap Room Hours: Thursday: 5 pm to 8 pm, Friday: 5 pm to 8 pm, Saturday: 12 pm to 7 pm, Sunday: 12 pm to 5 pm

Tours: Tours of the brewery are given at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Guided tours last approximately 15-20 minutes. Self-guided tours are continuously available during our Tour and Tasting hours. No charge

They DO NOT allow any tour buses, limousines, party groups, bachelor or bachelorette parties, etc. in the brewery for tours and tastings. We have limited space and do not have the staff to handle large unexpected groups even with a prior reservation.

Current Tap List: Facebook is updated before retail hours with current Tap List. Year round beers includes Head High, Overhead and Single Finn.

Growler Fills: Beer prices vary depending on style but range from $7-$20+. The cost of the growler is an additional $10 for one-liter, and $12 for two-liter. Yes, Kane fills growlers from other breweries as long as it has a government warning, labeled volume, and a Kane Brewing Co. sticker can be applied for regulatory compliance.

Can and Bottles Sales: Limited release 750ml bottles for sale at the brewery as well as cans. Check Facebook (must have Facebook account), Twitter, or Instagram for up to date list. Solitude, our 9.2% Belgian-style dark strong ale, will now be available at the brewery in 750ml bottles on an (almost) year-round basis.

They offer a few varieties of their beer to be purchased in sixtel (5.2 gallon kegs). In addition to the cost of the beer, there is a $30 cash deposit required for the keg that will be refunded upon its return.
    http://www.kanebrewing.com/retail-keg-request/

Nice pics on their instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/kanebrewing/

Kane Gear: Kane branded growlers, glasses, hats and t-shirts are available in the tap room. They also have an online store at https://squareup.com/market/kanebrewing

Kids and Dogs: Minors are welcome as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. No pets.

Nearby Food:

Asbury Park:

· Brick Wall

· Asbury Festhalle & Biergarten

· Mogo

· Porta

· Taka

· Cross and Orange

· Franks Deli

· Johhny Macs

· Talula's

· Speakeatery

· Pasta Volo

Avon:

· Rigg's Seafood

· Clementine's

Belmar:

· 10th Ave Burrito

· Hoagitos

· Jersey Shore BBQ

· Twisted Tapas

· Stay Gold Cafe

· Rajin Cajun

Bradley Beach:

· Blue Marlin

· Thai Basil

Long Branch:

· Avenue Le Club

Neptune:

· The Grand Tavern

· Jameson's Southern Cooking

@glennl, Vice President of Sales, has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

2. scrub0bk

scrub0bk Initiate (172) Feb 21, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I tried asking through the keg request link above but didn't hear anything. Can I just go to the brewery and ask for a sixtel they have on the daily lists? Also are they regular metal kegs or the pub kegs? Thanks all

3. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Disciple (325) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just ask for the keg. They are pub kegs and the last time we got one (about a year ago) they require a $30 CASH deposit on the keg

4. J5ryall

J5ryall Initiate (124) Aug 5, 2015 New Jersey

Right. According to Glenn they fill pub kegs before every weekend then sell t hem until they are gone, so lately kegs of Head High, Overhead and sneakbox have been available. Just note the pub kegs are plastic barrels are larger than a metal sixtel

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  5. scrub0bk

scrub0bk Initiate (172) Feb 21, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

cool - wasn't sure if i had to reserve or could roll up and grab one. thanks all

6. mikegryo

mikegryo Initiate (128) Sep 19, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

So, in my mind 2017 was an awesome year for saisons/wild ales/sours - even in NJ alone with Referend. Do you think Kane will bring anything new to the plate in 2018 in this category? Or release more Apiary and/or Cortijo? I'd love to see them come out with something new this year.

Thoughts? Maybe @glennl can provide a small, vague nugget of info?

7. glennl

glennl Initiate (167) Aug 22, 2009 New Jersey

you'll see some Apiary in the not too distant future. We talk a lot about brewing more saisons since we like them so much, as well as getting Solitude/Simplicity as part of the year round lineup. I think you'll see more of that kind of stuff once we settle into a good routine with this latest round of additional capacity and our new ability to brew 4x/day.

We'd love to be doing mixed fermentation stuff, but since the "clean" beer side of the business has grown so much, there's a lot more risk involved in doing that kind of stuff in the same facility as our clean beer. So other than a couple things that were brewed a long time ago and have been sitting in barrels or something, you're not likely to see anything on the "wild" or brett/mixed ferm "sour" stuff until we have somewhere else to do it...

8. mikegryo

mikegryo Initiate (128) Sep 19, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Cool thanks Glenn! I’ll be there a bunch no matter what styles are released.

fdonnelly likes this.
  9. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (127) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

love love LOVE Simplicity! Excited to see that and Apiary coming soon hopefully. Also excited for anything new IPA or other wise as well.

Would LOVE to see Sea Change this year! Also will we ever see "Hop Labs" anymore, I assume not as these are likely just canned in the one off cans now that you all have the ability?

10. glennl

I'm the #1 Sea Change proponent, and it's a beer we at Kane all love for a variety of reasons. But see above regarding mixed ferm/brett stuff in the "clean" brewery... you won't see it anytime soon sadly.

Hop Labs aren't dead I don't think, but between canning, doing more repeats, and trying to avoid confusion (for example where Hop Lab: (insert name of hop) implied it was a single hop beer when really the hop in the name was just the focus or showcase among potentially several other hops), it's just become easier to give new hoppy beers names.

We're bottle conditioning the belgians so they take a little longer, especially when the weather outside makes finding warm places in the brewery big enough to store 100+ cases of bottles very difficult.

11. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (264) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

more ripple please and thank you : )

SammyJaxxxx and HeyLady like this.
  12. fdonnelly

Beer Trader

Thanks Glenn!

Hopefully you all find a place to do mixed ferm/brett stuff in future, love to see some of that come back!

13. Norexyet

Norexyet Aspirant (232) Nov 23, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

A full run of galaxy head high cans would be great to see. Just missed it last year.

14. singleframe

singleframe Initiate (134) Apr 30, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

EBF beers posted!

15. Jordan5000

Jordan5000 Initiate (125) Apr 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Any sticker label cans today?

16. JG__

JG__ Initiate (125) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Wondering the same thing

17. glennl

We still had wind swell cans when i left last night but i can't say with certainty whether they'll still be there today.

18. mikebeerz80

mikebeerz80 Initiate (150) Jun 24, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Stopped by the brewery for a bit with the fam yesterday afternoon. Sampled some Solitude, Mex Brunch and Windswell. All were great. Windswell really blew me away. For those of you looking for cans of it, they had what appeared to be about 3 or 4 cases left, and I didn’t see a lot of takeout action so I would imagine there is still some left today.

19. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (125) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

Not sure why Wind Swell is hanging around. I don’t think it’s as good as Party Wave but it’s a top notch IPA.

20. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (200) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Why would it be bad that a beer is still available?

You would think it is a good thing that someone can walk in and pick up a great beer.

Guess this is a product of the fomo & lynelyfe culture

21. jonphisher

jonphisher Initiate (198) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Nailed it and beautifully put. It is a great thing indeed.

22. MightyTrustKrusher

Of course it’s a good thing. I’m just surprised is all. Didn’t mean for my post to come off as a complaint.

#22 MightyTrustKrusher, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    jonphisher likes this.
  23. glennl

This is the best way to look at it for sure. But before anyone digs too deep into either side of the argument, consider that this beer was released last weekend. Factor in day lost to weather and I don't think we can even declare it to be "hanging around" yet, let alone start looking for answers as to why.

24. MightyTrustKrusher

I probably could have phrased my post better. I just usually expect a good limited release IPA to be gone super fast. It’s awesome that people didn’t have to bend over backwards to get it.

glennl, Norexyet and mikebeerz80 like this.
  25. RollTide7

RollTide7 Aspirant (263) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Any1 there and know if theres still bottles of CP left? Was thinking of making the drive to snag a few but its 45 minutes away so thought id check...

26. glennl

Not sure how much, but we'll have Christian Patrick bottles when we open tomorrow (Thursday) at 5pm. There's a couple rows in the fridge, not sure how much more beyond that.

27. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (280) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

A wild Rum Barrel Aged Christian Patrick appears!

fdonnelly and Megamanmmx like this.
  28. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Aspirant (201) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

And a new beer with the same base ingredients as Fall Saints minus the spices

29. mumbles44

Beer Trader

Can someone post tap list?

30. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (148) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The brewery is open tonight from 5pm to 8pm for tours and tastings. Tonight we will have Simple Saints available for samples and growler fills. Simple Saints is the base beer for our fall seasonal, Fall Saints--a Belgian-Style brown ale brewed with pumpkins, yams, sweet potatoes and butternut squash, minus the spice additions.

Pours | Growlers:
    Head High
    Overhead
    Wind Swell
    Simple Saints

Samples:
    Head High
    Overhead
    Wind Swell
    Simple Saints
    Malus
    Rye Barrel Christian Patrick(2016)
    Rum Barrel Aged Christian Patrick(2016)
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Fall Saints(2016)
    Rum Barrel Aged Christian Patrick(2016)
    Mexican Brunch
    Solitude

Bottles:
    Christian Patrick

Cans:
    Head High
    Overhead
    Sneakbox

Kegs:
    Head High
    Sneakbox

LikeShow more reactions
    Comment

JosephThompson and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  31. mumbles44

Beer Trader

ANyone know if bottles of op or cp remain?

32. glennl

OP no.
    CP yes.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  33. fdonnelly

Beer Trader

had some 2015 ANTEAD last night, amongst other goodies :stuck_out_tongue::grimacing:

34. digdug1810

Beer Trader

how is it holding up?

35. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (788) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Can’t speak for him, but cracked a 2015 Coconut the other day; no need to worry if one is sitting on one or plans on aging longer: sweet, sticky yet delectably soft and smooth. The coconut is still a very prevalent/dominant force with some subtleties coming about as it opens: cocoa, fudge, liquorice, toffee, vanilla, oaked bourbon and malt with caramel, nutty elements. Coconut may actually be stronger given the subsiding barrel and heat character, so more age can’t really do too much harm unless done improperly. If anything, one may be able to bring about more intricacies as the coconut now levels out/squanders even further

However, if one prefers a chewy mounds bar, then now is the optimal time frame

schteve and digdug1810 like this.
  36. SPRichard

SPRichard Disciple (363) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

37. digdug1810

Beer Trader

thanks for the tasting notes.. i do in fact have one of each of the 2015 series, been waiting to share with the wife after our child, we'll be indulging soon enough... db is stashed away too along with a metric fuckton of stouts I've been sitting on for close to a year plus

ajfa531 likes this.
  38. fdonnelly

Beer Trader

amazing. Base was awesome, not too much bourbon at all, right amount of sweetness. Vanilla was amazing. Lots of vanilla still on the nose and first taste, then super fudgy on the back. beautiful beer!

39. fdonnelly

Beer Trader

it was a rowdy night... bar by me tapped their keg of BCBS 17 along with BA Ten Fidy & Mexican Brunch... then there were bottles of 2015 ANTEAD and 2015 ANTEAD Vanilla, Morning Bell, Sunday Brunch, a Cigar City beer I can't remember and a growler of CBS.. woo

40. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (788) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

lmk if you and your wife are ISO a third party

• About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.