Kane Brewing (July/August 2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NiceBeerCans, Jul 1, 2018.

1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (238) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Kane Brewing: http://www.kanebrewing.com/

Address: 1750 Bloomsbury Ave, Ocean Township, NJ 07712
    We are located behind the Ocean Plaza Shopping Center off Route 35.

Tap Room Hours: Thursday: 5 pm to 8 pm, Friday: 5 pm to 8 pm, Saturday: 12 pm to 7 pm, Sunday: 12 pm to 5 pm

Tours: Tours of the brewery are given at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Guided tours last approximately 15-20 minutes. Self-guided tours are continuously available during our Tour and Tasting hours. No charge

They DO NOT allow any tour buses, limousines, party groups, bachelor or bachelorette parties, etc. in the brewery for tours and tastings. We have limited space and do not have the staff to handle large unexpected groups even with a prior reservation.

Current Tap List: Facebook is updated before retail hours with current Tap List. Year round beers includes Head High, Overhead and Single Finn.

Growler Fills: Beer prices vary depending on style but range from $7-$20+. The cost of the growler is an additional $10 for one-liter, and $12 for two-liter. Yes, Kane fills growlers from other breweries as long as it has a government warning, labeled volume, and a Kane Brewing Co. sticker can be applied for regulatory compliance.

Can and Bottles Sales: Limited release 750ml bottles for sale at the brewery as well as cans. Check Facebook (must have Facebook account), Twitter, or Instagram for up to date list. Solitude, our 9.2% Belgian-style dark strong ale, will now be available at the brewery in 750ml bottles on an (almost) year-round basis.

They offer a few varieties of their beer to be purchased in sixtel (5.2 gallon kegs). In addition to the cost of the beer, there is a $30 cash deposit required for the keg that will be refunded upon its return.
    http://www.kanebrewing.com/retail-keg-request/

Nice pics on their instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/kanebrewing/

Kane Gear: Kane branded growlers, glasses, hats and t-shirts are available in the tap room. They also have an online store at https://squareup.com/market/kanebrewing

Kids and Dogs: Minors are welcome as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. No pets.

Nearby Food:

Asbury Park:

· Brick Wall

· Asbury Festhalle & Biergarten

· Mogo

· Porta

· Taka

· Cross and Orange

· Franks Deli

· Johhny Macs

· Talula's

· Speakeatery

· Pasta Volo

Avon:

· Rigg's Seafood

· Clementine's

Belmar:

· 10th Ave Burrito

· Hoagitos

· Jersey Shore BBQ

· Twisted Tapas

· Stay Gold Cafe

· Rajin Cajun

Bradley Beach:

· Blue Marlin

· Thai Basil

Long Branch:

· Avenue Le Club

Neptune:

· The Grand Tavern

· Jameson's Southern Cooking

@glennl, Vice President of Sales, has been known to make occasional comments when speculation is not correct.

Brian_Lynch and Sabtos like this.
  2. JG__

JG__ Initiate (129) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Guess I should repost in the July thread. Anyone know if Night Swimming lasted the day?

Thanks

fdonnelly likes this.
  3. mikegryo

mikegryo Initiate (46) Sep 19, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

20 cases left according to Facebook

4. JG__

JG__ Initiate (129) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Thanks. Dropped at noon and secured a few four packs.

mikegryo likes this.
  5. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Initiate (187) May 31, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Wow the lagers are flying off the shelves! Not the biggest fan of Night Swimming but love to see it getting bought up

fdonnelly likes this.
  6. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (225) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I hope breweries notice this. All to often you hear (a certain podcast) talk about how hops pay the bills. Well I think most breweries could do more than that and still sell out within a few days as long as it’s somethjng new. Hopefully it is a trend we see happen more and more. I do hope Kane has a year round lager to go soon.

7. LFC_YNWA

Beer Trader

I admittedly love IPAs and don't see anything wrong with breweries producing IPAs people love either though. But yea nice to see such a good response to a different style

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  8. jonphisher

Beer Trader

Oh I’m not saying don’t brew them. Just is nice to see more variety from places lately.

Brian_Lynch and Mrstiffington like this.
  9. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (25) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey

Exactly. I was just up in Portland and almost every brewery had IPAs/DIPAs/pales with a few other styles thrown in here and there, but I happily bought many cans from Foundation, who had those styles but also a canned sour farmhouse, a hoppy farmhouse, a helles lager, a Pilsner, a Brown, etc.
    We need people buying the other styles and they’ll make more hopefully.

fdonnelly, Brian_Lynch and jonphisher like this.
  10. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (224) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

that's the key. You look at "IPA factories" like Other Half, Tree House and Magnify, and while their hoppy beers fly out the door, when they brew pilsners, helles, etc. they hang around for weeks.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  11. jonphisher

Beer Trader

I think it’s because bros don’t like anything but juice and dessert beers. The breweries you mentioned are all one trick ponies IMO, very good at what they do though. They brew juice and dessert tasting stouts for the most part and very few other styles. So the clientele they attract will only by said type of beer.

#11 jonphisher, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Mrstiffington likes this.
  12. bryantc3

Beer Trader

and the majority of beers that Kane packages in bottles/cans are stouts/porters with adjuncts and hoppy stuff.

and calling Tree House a one trick pony is just not true.

kthoag likes this.
  13. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,218) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

14. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (240) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Both sound good although I'm not biggest 'tose fan...Hoping this isn't the start of Kane going that route. Since it's a collab I am guessing this will be a one-off.

jonphisher likes this.
  15. bryantc3

Beer Trader

their fruited beers, like the punch series tends to use it.

so how crazy are we expecting this given the early announcement? t

16. mikegryo

Beer Trader

Well technically it isn’t ‘tose, it’s oats. Not convinced myself but wanted to clarify.

17. mikegryo

Beer Trader

My bad I didnt see the ‘tose in the blueberry beer. Thought we were talking about the other one.

18. bryantc3

Beer Trader

@glennl did these beers get a output? Like these aren't going to sell out in <2 hours like the smaller batch HH/SB variants is it? I don't think i can get there until 2pm or later.

19. glennl

glennl Initiate (181) Aug 22, 2009 New Jersey

I can't speculate on when they'll sell out, but i'm pretty sure there's a lot more than there were DDH HH and sneak... like twice as much or more of each of today's release...

beertrip and bryantc3 like this.
  20. bryantc3

Beer Trader

Awesome, thank you Glenn!

And "yield" was the word I was looking for, coffee was slow the to kick in apparently.

glennl likes this.
  21. LFC_YNWA

Beer Trader

How's the line?

22. Tim725

Tim725 Devotee (407) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just got here. Moving quick but its out the back all the way across to the other side of the lot

23. RollTide7

RollTide7 Aspirant (279) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Still have some left...line is barely out the door now maybe 15 people waiting outside. Just saw them wheel out like 10 more cases too

Edit: and another 10 cases

cp45 and bryantc3 like this.
  24. bryantc3

Beer Trader

got there around 2:30 (traffic on parkway south was a KILLER). They were moving brightness to the coolers up front - looked like they had a solid amount left. Not sure about the collab beer - they had that at the back (along with pictures in reverse) but couldn't see how many they had left.

also, one of my favorite parts about heading to Kane is stopping at Rook, got some nice cold brew growlers :grinning:

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  25. bryantc3

Beer Trader

Blueberry island is quite good. A great display of mosaic hops. The blueberry fruit and vanilla is fairly subtle - doesn't seem like there is too much lactose either. Much better than other blueberry IPAs from other area breweries.

26. glennl

Good to hear. We were aiming for subtle, which can be challenging. There's a fine line between "subtle" and "hey how come this doesn't taste like what it says on the label?"

27. glennl

By the way its VP, Operations now :sunglasses:

28. bryantc3

Beer Trader

My last post may be a bit ambiguous, I'm saying subtle as a good thing. This is still very much a beer, not a smoothie hahaha.

Congrats on the promotion, and the new brighten the corners label is pretty dope.

29. RollTide7

RollTide7 Aspirant (279) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

congrats, its awesome to have you on here to comment and add your thoughts and we all appreciate when you do! I like Blueberry Island and think it turned out real nice, like you said there's a very fine line on these type of beers that can pretty quickly make it too heavy handed.

FWIW it was also nice having the post go out a little earlier today, I'm ~45 min away and it's always nice having a little advance notice to plan out the day.

forum8417 and glennl like this.
  30. glennl

No i caught that... that's why i replied, i am glad people seem to be seeing the subtlety as a positive.

And thanks but no congratulations necessary, not really a promotion, just a new title to reflect what I do. I've been uninvolved with sales for quite a while now...

RollTide7 and bryantc3 like this.
  31. kthoag

kthoag Disciple (339) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Hey guys does the Black label signify anything? I know they did it with the Troon collab but I figured that was just Alex's #aesthetic.

Hoping yesterday's beers make it to the taproom for samples as they sound nice.

32. bryantc3

Beer Trader

i assume just messing around with new labels instead of the same ole white ones? I know night swimming and Aloha Shirt also had different labels (as did Imperial SB)

33. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Aspirant (214) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

BRIghten the corners is a damn good beer

34. bryantc3

Beer Trader

Don't get me wrong, Brighten is a quality beer and I will enjoy drinking the remaining 10 cans I have (when you have to sit in traffic for 1.5 hours, you get enough beer so you don't have to repeat this trip for a while). However, it's nothing out of the ordinary for an oat DIPA done by a reputable brewery. Despite the very different hop profile, it reminds me of Other Half green city IPA.. I'm guessing it's the Simcoe.

The blueberry beer is the stand out this week for sure, I think I like it more than mosaic punch. It makes me hope that Kane revisits this in the future, it would be super interesting as a kettle soured beer, imo.

35. glennl

We have a full time, in-house graphic designer now, so getting labels designed/approved/printed is considerably easier than it used to be.

fdonnelly and bryantc3 like this.
  36. Tim725

Tim725 Devotee (407) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Looking forward to seeing the official party wave labels :slight_smile:

37. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (461) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This is only my second time having Sneak Box but its a great brew

canned 7/3/18
    [​IMG]

38. bryantc3

Beer Trader

sneakbox holds up incredibly well. I have found 6 month old sneak hiding at the back of my parent's fridge from when I brought it over for something, it still tasted mighty fine.

fdonnelly likes this.
  39. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Initiate (96) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I know that this is 99% pointless, BUT... any speculation regarding bottles in the near future? I know the heavy hitters seem to be all EventBrite nowadays but it would be nice to have a great release to look forward to with my upcoming Saturday morning free.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  40. bryantc3

Beer Trader

I'd assume that by the end of the year Mexican and Sunday Brunch will be released - most likely with eventbrite tickets.

Possibility that within a few months that BBA morning/evening bell hits - they're usually saturday releases without eventbrite.

then there is ANTEAD but who knows what's going on with that and it will be a raffle anyway. The other bottles are generally season specific and for the most part are saturday releases that hang around.

fdonnelly and William_Navidson like this.