Kane Brewing (September 2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

It's Jersey
    We always take separate cars

ajfa531, Matt7781, RSB and 3 others like this.
  2. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,199) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Lager was a certainly a standout…Brittle, biscuity, and grainy with sweet caramel malt, hints of sugar, and refined bitterness; NZ hops incorporated competently – A nice floral/spice element: quite earthy and predominately citrusy with traces of lemons/fruit…Night Swimming is rather impressive

jonphisher likes this.
  3. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey

Packed but lines for Brunch and cans/growlers moved really fast. Waited in line longer to use the bathroom than I did for cans and Brunch combined. Tastings was another story. I grabbed packages and hit the road.

4. balmand

balmand Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2015 New Jersey

Anyone else crack a Brunch yet? Mine gushed like crazy upon opening

5. jonphisher

jonphisher Devotee (458) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

A gusher dark beer, that can't be good. Not out of the ordinary for a wild ale or bottle conditioned beere fruited beer, but in a porter? Did it taste alright.

6. balmand

Tastes great. Saw a few comments on Untappd stating the same thing as me. Makes me nervous

7. digdug1810

digdug1810 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

yikes... was the bottle cold? gushing brunches doesn't sound too good, especially if multiple people are reporting it

8. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,538) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

If this turns, does Kane have a reputation of making good with owners of bad batches?

VABA likes this.
  9. balmand

Not just me reporting this. All over Facebook groups now as well, for those of you in NJLTCB

10. balmand

Wasn't fresh out of the fridge. Picked them up and then drove home and had one. Was still cool, though

11. balmand

I'm curious about all this as well. First time I've even seen or heard about something like this from Kane

12. kes688

kes688 Initiate (79) Sep 4, 2015 New Jersey

Just my 2 cents but mine gushed as well.

13. digdug1810

yeah checked with a friend and his did as well... will be interesting to see if anything actually beings to taste off or if it's simply just way over carb'd

14. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (241) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

Any noticeable off flavors from gushers?

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  15. MattyBlayze

MattyBlayze Initiate (48) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey

Mine gushed. Didn't think anything of it - neighbor gave it to me when he got home, went in fridge, and I opened it when fight started. Checked it in to Untappd, and someone questioned if it gushed which made me realize it wasn't just me. No off flavors, but slight over-carb.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. J5ryall

J5ryall Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2015 New Jersey

I haven't yet opened any. Brought home and put in beer fridge. What is proper serving temp? If worried about gushing do I open cold then let sit until temp comes up? Or will that flatten it?

17. glennl

glennl Initiate (130) Aug 22, 2009 New Jersey

Michael asked me to post this to address any concerns with Mexican Brunch:

Hey guys-

We are aware of a few incidents of bottles of Mexican Brunch foaming out when opened. We obviously take any potential issue regarding quality control very seriously and we are looking into it more. I just wanted to take this opportunity to address our quality control process so you have an understanding of what the beer goes through prior to release.

We have always had an increased focus on quality control testing for all our bottled and canned beers, but over the last 6-12 months we have spent a tremendous amount of resources building out our lab equipment and personnel. Like all of our bottled and canned products, we tested Mexican Brunch in the brite tank prior to packaging, and bottles from each of the fill heads on our bottling line post-run for biological contaminants. In the case of an adjunct beer like this, we test after each new ingredient is introduced to the process to ensure the beer remains clean during the process—both by traditional lab plating and electronic testing means. Every test throughout this process came back negative for beer spoiling contaminants which is why we are confident there is no contamination issue with this beer.

The other potential issues with foaming concerns CO2 volumes (carbonation level) in the beer. Once we invested in a canning line we also bought a Gehaltemeter to measure CO2 and oxygen levels in beer. This is to ensure that our beer is being packaged at our desired carbonation level, and to measure oxygen pickup in our beer to keep it as low as possible. Mexican Brunch was tested in the bottle after packaging at around 2.4-2.45 volumes of CO2, so we are confident that, as a whole, the bottles were not overcarbonated.

The other outstanding issues that could have caused foaming in these instances are fill levels, nucleation points, and temperature. High fills with increased nucleation points from spices and higher temperature could cause foaming. This is what we are looking into now. Since we have opened bottles at the brewery without issue we don’t want to rush to judgment on what, if any, the issue is. We’d like to get a better understanding of what might have caused these reported issues before we come to any conclusions. As always, if you have any questions or issues with our bottles, or any of our beers, please contact me directly. mkane @ kanebrewing.com

Michael Kane

18. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

If you need to test open any more bottles, let me know. I will dispose of the contents for you. Anything to help.

Thanks for the update.

fdonnelly, kthoag, Hopznbuds and 9 others like this.
  19. Jsalz21

Jsalz21 Champion (814) May 21, 2015 New Jersey

Sadly, I have no idea when to drink this now that it's geyser-ing leaves you with a totally under-carbonated version of the finished product. Is there a theory to avoid this via time/serving temp that anyone has done before in similar circumstances?

(On a side note, Wave Tank was/is excellent)

20. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (199) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Odd, wave tank was good out of the gates however it fell off really hard for me, I've dumped the last 3 of 4 that I have cracked between end of August and earlier this week.

21. J5ryall

Carefully opened my first a few minutes ago, from my fridge about 37 degrees. Used and old school pry opener. Nothing at first, then slowly the foam started to rise. So I stuck a wine stopper in and let it sit for 5 mins. When pulled the stopper still a slow rise; poured first glass and everything is great. I suspect "gushing" was temperature related.

Sabtos likes this.
  22. J5ryall

BTW drinking great though not getting any pepper at all. I have never had this beer but someone above mentioned that they thought that the peppers used this year are different than in the past and she/he thinks it is milder this year. In response Glenn L said that they've been using the same type of peppers every single year. That does not necessarily mean that the spice is going to be the same though. Could be a less spicy batch of the same style of pepper I guess.

Either way definitely a great beer. But I must say I do not quite understand people that chase whales. At 17 or 18 bucks for the 750 this beer is good. If I paid a multiple of that too get my hands on it I would be severely disappointed. But frankly I could say that about any beer. There is great beer everywhere nowadays despite the market being flooded you can always find the gems. If someone is trading or paying a premium for any Kane beer frankly it should be sneakbox. That beer is heady topper level

#222 J5ryall, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    beertrip and Brewzer1010 like this.
  23. Tim725

Tim725 Disciple (355) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

So I guess if I want to have a chance at the leftover bottles, I should go and line up some time today and just camp out? ....

Just had my last bottle of Mexican Brunch from last year a few weeks ago and the pepper is very subtle... but that is how its supposed to be. Personally I prefer this to the in your face spiciness of something like Mexican Cake but can understand a preference either way depends on tastes!

At 18 bucks a bottle I will gladly purchase 2 bottles if I have the chance. I refuse to over pay though in the secondary market that is just crazy. I saw people listing the bottles for upwards of $100 and can not believe people are actually paying that...

24. Lucoli

Lucoli Defender (639) Apr 2, 2013 New York
    Trader

Corrected me if I'm wrong but I believe they use ancho chilies which are not as spicy but give a smokey flavor. At least that is what I remember from last year

digdug1810, nickfern and fdonnelly like this.
  25. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Aspirant (282) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Yes, Glenn has said this a handful of times here whenever Mex Brunch is brought up. He said they always use Ancho and they add them for the smokiness not the heat. Granted every pepper is different so its possible one year there was more "heat" than another, but that isn't the intention for the addition of the Ancho Chiles

glennl likes this.
  26. LuckyOneSix

LuckyOneSix Initiate (171) Aug 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Cracked a bottle on Saturday. No gush, but I also put the bottle in a ice filled cooler in the car when I left the brewery. Not much of any pepper. It honestly reminded me of 2016 Sunday Brunch, which is a good problem to have.

Sabtos and gardenstatepkwy like this.
  27. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

I think the gushing issue might actually have to do with the bags they were in. I have a bag like that at home and whenever I use it to bring a few bottles somewhere, they almost always clank together like once or twice, which invariably causes them to gush whenever I get where im going and open them.

28. bryantc3

Trader

Plausible, but I know at least the BBA morning and evening bell were sold in those bags, haven't heard of ant gushers.

Was SB and regular MB sold in those bags this year?

29. Norexyet

Norexyet Initiate (161) Nov 23, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Sunday Brunch was in the red bags. Not sure on MB.

30. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Aspirant (282) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Morning Bell wasn't, they were selling it in case boxes b/c the limit was a case. BA MB/EB might not have "clanked" since those bottles were smaller and everyone only got 2 of each, kind of makes sense.

I've put all my Mex bottles in the fridge, I have my co-worker one today, let him know about what some people said and what Mike/Glenn said as well. Haven't opened any of mine, but I will report back once I do

Norexyet likes this.
  31. Norexyet

Norexyet Initiate (161) Nov 23, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I've opened two without issue so far. They went right into a cooler after picking them up and then into the fridge when I got home. The heat is definitely more subtle compared to last year but it was still great.

gardenstatepkwy likes this.
  32. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Initiate (108) May 31, 2014 New Jersey

Really? wtf

33. bryantc3

Trader

yeah, wave tank fell off a cliff. it got really malty and then just bad, very BAD.

34. glennl

glennl Initiate (130) Aug 22, 2009 New Jersey

Hey just an update from Michael on what's going on after looking into everything a little more:

Over the weekend we became aware of some incidents of Mexican Brunch bottles foaming when opened. We take any potential issues regarding quality seriously and so starting Monday morning we began investigating the issue to determine whether there was a problem. As with all our bottled and canned beers, Mexican Brunch went through a series of laboratory tests to detect any beer spoiling contaminants in the tank and once again in the package - all of which came back negative prior to its release.

Our first step was to re-run all those tests yesterday to confirm that the beer was negative—which it is. We also re-tested the carbonation levels in the bottles. The result was between 2.2-2.4 volumes of carbonation which is in the correct tolerance for this beer (Head High is carbonated at 2.5 volumes as a point of reference). We then proceeded to open a few cases of archived bottles that we save from each release that were from different points in the bottling run.

Our results mirrored what we are hearing in the market place. A large portion of our bottles were fine, but we did encounter some that foamed when opened. Since we ruled out contamination and over-carbonation, we then considered other causes of foaming in beer--specifically nucleation points.

After some research, we believe that the foaming in some bottles was caused by nucleation points which is attributed to the abundant amount of the specific spices we used in Mexican Brunch. As we got closer to the end of the bottling run more of the spice particulates that had settled to the bottom of the tank ended up in some of the bottles. Since we have no way of knowing which bottles or how many are impacted, we are issuing a full refund to anyone who purchased Mexican Brunch. We are not asking for the bottles back or that you discard them because there is no issue with the beer and the flavor should not be impacted. There is also no need to store them cold, but we do recommend that you chill the bottles down completely prior to opening and pour quickly into a glass once opened.

Since we opened in 2011 our focus has been on setting and maintaining a consistently high level of quality for all our beers. With this bottle release we didn’t met those high internal standards we set for ourselves. We are continuing to research this issue to prevent this problem in the future. If you have any questions at all please email us at mkane@kanebrewing.com.

35. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,199) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

The hospitality here is absurd

36. CharacterZero

CharacterZero Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2017 Pennsylvania

It really is.

37. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,538) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

So much so it's just overboard--I'd feel bad trying to get my money back. Simply wouldn't do it.

38. mendham_mikey

mendham_mikey Initiate (60) Nov 11, 2014 South Carolina

Bolero?

SammyJaxxxx and gardenstatepkwy like this.
  39. digdug1810

if they are giving full refunds are they literally just going to give everybody their money back and this was basically a free release of beer to anybody who got it?

40. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

just got an email.. they are processing the refunds automatically
    going to spend double next time I visit.. they did not have to do this

stand up move though!

Sip404, VaTechPhilly, JBuj and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.