Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Kane Brewing...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by JaymoNJ, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notjustgc

notjustgc Nov 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Correct, 64oz/2L only.

jkane101 likes this.
  2. bayridge27

bayridge27 Dec 3, 2009 New York

The new fliop top ones are real nice.

3. BeerFan

BeerFan Feb 11, 2003 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

What's the price range for growler fillls - more specifically for Head High and Overhead?

4. SPRichard

SPRichard Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

I want to say $12 for Head High

5. Hessian257

Hessian257 Mar 22, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

12 for Head High. 16 for Overhead.

OddNotion likes this.
  6. Northlax3

Northlax3 Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I had Kane's "a night to end all dawns" tonight.

[​IMG]

AMAZING.

Better than BCBS. Better than any other barrel aged stout I've ever had. Such intense flavor. Starts with a robust roasty aroma that gives way to a really intense oakey/whiskey taste with so much body. This is now my favorite beer of all time. GREAT things coming out of Kane. They know their beer.

ufmj, notjustgc and frothyhead like this.
  7. Xtent

Xtent Jan 16, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Awesome post!
    This shit made me laugh, BM me if you want something from the westcoast, if I can find it, it's on me.

8. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

I'm driving up to NY from MD tonight. Kane isn't on the way, but I'm itching to find out what this place is all about. Any chance bottles of ANTEAD are still available at the brewery? If not there, can anyone recommend a near by shop? TIA!

9. iL0VEbeer

iL0VEbeer Oct 4, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

They're only open on Fridays and Saturdays, and it was still available last Saturday so it should definitely be there today.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  10. Beerontwowheels

Great news. A growler of Head High and some ANTEAD's should give me good feels this weekend. ;)

I would stay and sample a few tonight, but I must voyage on to NY for Mother's Day.

11. drebrew

drebrew May 8, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

There is a Wegman's like right next to the brewery. The fridge in the back has a ton of bottles of ANTEAD. Picked up about 5 last night. It's like a best kept secret, until now :)

Beerontwowheels and warriorsoul like this.
  12. iL0VEbeer

iL0VEbeer Oct 4, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Hah. Why would they distribute there? Those bottles could've gone to one of the shops in North Jersey that sold out in one day.

WhereTheWildBeersGo likes this.
  13. nrs207

nrs207 Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Let them sell out. Fight the Midwest shelf walez, bro.

14. Beerontwowheels

Nice little brewery y'all got! Grabbed head high and mosaic overhead growlers and a couple ANTEADs. Looking forward to cracking these open!

notjustgc and martin123012 like this.
  15. jkane101

jkane101 Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

My bet is you'll want to figure out a way to go back

Axic10 likes this.
  16. eagles7251

eagles7251 Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Had Kane Head IPA at the Pour House in Westmont yesterday. I think it might be my favorite IPA out there. Great that they made it to SNJ.

notjustgc likes this.
  17. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

To anyone who has had ANTEAD, are you going into it expecting a stout? It has it labeled as a stout on BA, but the bottle now calls it an imperial dark ale. Had it at a tap takeover a few months ago with it listed as a stout as well and was fairly underwhelmed due to the lack of body. I think they wisened up and realized that just because it goes into the barrels as a stout, doesn't mean it came out as one. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this. I have one in the fridge and am seriously looking forward to drinking it with different expectations.

18. wittyname

wittyname Aug 4, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I spoke with one of the guys when I went to Kane a few months back - before I even saw it at the local tap takeovers (CL, place in Wayne). He mentioned something like - they didn't want to call it a bourbon barrel aged stout because everyone would compare it to the others out there (BCBS)...he said after 15 months in the barrel, its a completely different beer so they were thinking abt calling it an Old Ale or dark ale.

But that was after several glasses of their beers (I remember Mysterioso #17, the barleywine)...so its possible:
    I misunderstood
    I never actually had the conversation

claspada, ufmj and mikeburd1128 like this.
  19. frothyhead

frothyhead Mar 14, 2007 New Jersey

I had a bottle the day of the release and thought it was comparable to other barrel aged stouts, albeit with a twist due to the Belgian candy sugar. Reminded me a lot of a roastier, barrel aged Black Albert. I really liked it. Unfortunately I cracked another bottle last night and it tasted like coke and nail polish remover. Really thin and kinda gross by the end of the bottle. Makes me question if it's me (I might have been a littttttle drunk the first time after spending the afternoon at the brewery) or there are some production issues with this beer.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  20. mikeburd1128

So basically no one is of any help because you're all a bunch of drunks. Great. Just great.

ColForbinBC, ufmj, phooky and 4 others like this.
  21. Beerontwowheels

I read a review that said Kane intends for you too essentially keep this beer cold. That struck me as odd and sounds like it would only be kept cold to prevent infection from taking over. I bought 5 bottles on Friday anyway. Might regret that. I HOPE THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

22. Beerontwowheels

In other news, I just crushed a growler of Head High with bum732. Every glass was delicious and I'll find my way back to the brewery soon!

bum732 likes this.
  23. mikeburd1128

Nothing beats head high. except double dry hopped head high. and hm. interesting point about ANTEAD. kind of unfortunate if it's true. will have to drink mine soon to avoid any possible problems.

24. devilsfan26

devilsfan26 Aug 24, 2009 New Jersey

I had A Night to End All Dawns at their tap takeover at Barcade in the fall and found it tremendous.

I have had it again out of two bottles so far. The first time was the day after we accidentally left it in a freezer overnight and obviously it did not taste right. The second time was last night and I split it with three other people. The other three thought it was really good but I didn't seem to enjoy it, but I also got the last pour out of the bottle and had a ton of yeast floating around whereas the other three didn't have anything floating in theirs. I'm thinking maybe I didn't like it because my glass was too heavy on the yeast. I guess I'll have to try this beer out again to see if it really is as good as I remember from that night at Barcade, or if I was just too drunk that night by the time I ordered A Night to End All Dawns.

25. pistlpete

pistlpete Jul 28, 2009 New Jersey

It's only a matter of time before the Kane brewing is overrated posts start to spring up. Which they aren't

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  26. Beerontwowheels

I'm opening a bottle on Wednesday or Thursday. Will report back.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  27. notjustgc

Beer Trader

I love all the "I didn't like ANTEAD, but I (was already bombed when I had it / drank a bottle from the freezer / am judging based on a glass full of dregs / had my tongue cut out in a tribal ceremony)" posts. Why???

OddNotion and mikeburd1128 like this.
  28. mdfb79

mdfb79 Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I picked up a bottle of this on Saturday and drank it that night after 1 other beer (so sober), and I went into it expecting a bourbon barrel aged stout, based off of the reviews and hearing some people talk about it. I did notice the label saying it was a dark ale, but was still expecting a stout-type beer, after reading the back label and reviews.

My bottle was completely fine (no off flavors like cola and nail polish, no dregs or large amount of yeast) and like most stouts I have, I let it warm up a bit before I opened it and as I drank it.

Overall I liked the beer quite a bit, though I would not put it anywhere near other top BA stouts like BCS, Black Note, or BBPT5. I can see how some people are confused as to whether it should really be labeled a stout or not, as the nose doesn't have a ton of stout characteristics, and the body is thinner than you'd expect, but either way, it is a good beer so I didn't really care. I didn't find a ton of bourbon to it, especially in the nose, and thought it had a lot of cream/vanilla to it, and that it was very easy to drink for 13% ABV. Also like a lot of stouts, I thought it improved and I got more bourbon as it warmed up, so I wouldn't drink it too cold personally.

I think it is a very good beer, though I wouldn't buy it hoping for the next BCS, a bourbon bomb, a thick heavy stout, etc. I think it is their best non-IPA and their best bottled beer (from the ones I've had so far). I have one more bottle of it so will probably revisit it in September or so.

29. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

Doesn't the extended aging contribute to the thinner body? 15 months is a pretty substantial amount of time for a stout to sit in a barrel, which can cause some base beers to thin out a bit (ie - CW15 which people are killing each other over, then complaining about 'lack of body'). Most of these beers that seem to go over a year+ in the barrel tend to be thinner than other benchmark BA stouts (BCBS), with the exception of anomalies such as Rare.

That said, I still haven't tried ANTEAD yet, so I'm curious to find out for myself.

30. notjustgc

Beer Trader

Am I the only one who thinks the dryness is desirable? I tend to balk at the maple syrup consistency of BCBS and the likes. Can't even bring myself to drink that stuff until it's been in the cellar for a year. The reason I'm so crazy about ANTEAD is because it's so quaffable despite its incredible complexity.

justin_nj and Beerontwowheels like this.
  31. mdfb79

mdfb79 Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I think it's just personal preference. Personally, I enjoy the thick, chewy mouthfeel of a stout like BCS much more than a dryer, thinner body, like ANTEAD. While BCS ages very nicely, I love it fresh as well.

I still enjoyed it quite a bit and I'm glad I've got another bottle to try down the road.

32. Beerontwowheels

I might just have to get into a bottle of ANTEAD tonight. Can't take all this waiting. Bum732 - Consider this an open invitation after your trip to Frederick. If you stop by I'll open one up.

33. Timmush

Timmush Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

I think it's a watered down mess ;)

34. devilsfan26

devilsfan26 Aug 24, 2009 New Jersey

Ha just figured I would continue the trend. I will now look for a tribal ceremony that involves tongue-chopping and then try this beer again and see how it affects the flavor, thanks for the suggestion.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the beer should be kept cold. The other bottle I have was purchased a few weeks ago and I have had it sitting in a kitchen cabinet since then. I can't imagine the beer has been changed just because it wasn't kept constantly cold, but does anyone else have an opinion/experience with this?

notjustgc likes this.
  35. notjustgc

Beer Trader

A week at NJ ambient temps shouldn't cause any detectable changes, in theory...

36. bayridge27

bayridge27 Dec 3, 2009 New York

The brewery said to keep it cold. Im unsure as to why 55 wouldnt be ok for this beer. Seems to me that keeping it cold slows down the aging on it, so maybe they feel it is aged enough and is going to start declining? I have no idea.

37. Beerontwowheels

I opened up a bottle this evening with brees6221 and we both enjoyed the beer. No signs of infection so far as we could tell. I have two more bottles and that's plenty. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. I'd rate it about a 3.75 if I were to 'had' it. Already wanting more of that mosaic overhead...

38. marshmeli

marshmeli Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

I plan on stopped by Kane on Saturday for some growlers and hopefully a bottle or two of ANTEAD. Does Kane do only fill 64 oz growlers or can I bring some 750ml swingtops? Also, they do not need to be Kane's own growlers right?

39. notjustgc

Beer Trader

Doesn't matter what's printed on them, but they do have to be 64oz.

40. wittyname

wittyname Aug 4, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I was told only 64 oz growlers - they wouldn't do my 750 ml swingtop. But they filled non-Kane growlers for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe