Kane Brewing...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by JaymoNJ, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopolds

chopolds Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2009 New Jersey

Stopped by there on Sat, first time. Did a flight, really impressed, even by their "Mysteriosos" or pilot program beers. Brought home a growler of the Solitude, Belgian style dark strong ale, fantastic!

2. AdamP

AdamP Devotee (460) Mar 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

How much do they charge for a flight and is it for everything they have on tap? Cheers!

3. marshmeli

marshmeli Devotee (420) Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

A flight is $4 and you get 4 4oz pours a great deal... you can use it for anything on tap.

they also have additional 4oz pours for $2 and you can also get 8oz or 12oz of most too (limited stuff is only smaller sized pours)

AdamP likes this.
  4. AdamP

AdamP Devotee (460) Mar 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Awesome, thanks. How many different taps do they usually have?

5. marshmeli

marshmeli Devotee (420) Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

The days they are pouring, they update their facebook page with what is on tap… I have seen as many or 7 and as few as 5 (both including 1 nitro), but I have only been there a handful of times

6. WineWorldMatt

WineWorldMatt Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 California

We have to limit highly allocated beers to a small amount per customer, usually one or two bottles. We feel it is only fair that as many people get to taste them as possible, and like to satisfy as many customers as we can. That is the reason that some beers are not always put on the floor..We do have a new beer rack which will have most beers, even sought-after gems available for purchase.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  7. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Definitely understand that. Not a complaint...I think most stores emplore that technique just so someone doesn't come along and grab 8 bottles in the first hour. All about sharing beer with the rest of the state's BAs!

WineWorldMatt likes this.
  8. notjustgc

notjustgc Initiate (154) Nov 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm definitely more of a fan of the "have to ask for it" system than the "have to pay out your ass for it" system when it comes to limited releases at bottle shops.

9. benz08

benz08 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2008 New Jersey

At my store we employ the ask for it method for a few beers. But all employees are aware of what is behind the counter and we're very small so it is nearly impossible to not find an employee. We also have our standard markup on all beers no matter how rare they are. No lists, no holds, no reservations. Our "best" customers are trained and know if they want something they follow our Facebook and they find someone to grab it for them. Lucky enough my store is a walking store and we don't draw from a huge area so we have only so many beer geeks but we give everyone an even chance. I like seeing other stores that do that.

10. Hessian257

Hessian257 Devotee (486) Mar 22, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Barrel Aged Morning Bell released tomorrow (8/3/2013)

Brewery only release with less than 200 Bottles made!

11. sobeleg

sobeleg Disciple (392) Jun 29, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Anyone want to gopickitupformebro? :slight_smile:

12. Hessian257

Beer Trader

Got you man, BM me.

13. justin_nj

justin_nj Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 New Jersey

Sick. Just so happens I'm not working tomorrow.

14. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Zealot (515) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Ack, I'm on Long Island for work and hoped to stop there on the way back, might not make it until 4 PM or so though...

15. martin123012

martin123012 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New Jersey

If anyone can grab an extra. Let me know. It would def be shared with other sj ba

digdug1810 likes this.
  16. RollTide7

RollTide7 Aspirant (263) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

it is probably too late to help you on this but the canal's in Lawrenceville had them in the back. If you are further south, this might be a better place for you to hit. do a lot of high volume and get a ton of stuff in...

17. siege06nd

siege06nd Savant (922) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

What's the line looking like?

18. wittyname

wittyname Initiate (195) Aug 4, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

About 50 right now

19. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (472) Feb 4, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Well, Kane is now officially official...

20. Hessian257

Beer Trader

Fuggin people an their mules. Missed a bottle by about 10 people.

CassinoNorth likes this.
  21. frothyhead

frothyhead Initiate (108) Mar 14, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Same.

22. Kinshasa

Kinshasa Initiate (138) Jan 4, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Missed it too. 4 bottle allotment per person with only 200 bottles or less available was probably a bit much....but I'm probably just bitter because a drove an hour to get there and didn't get any and I got there at Noon when they opened. There's always next time, but limited releases are starting to get a little too ridiculous for me.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  23. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Zealot (595) Oct 18, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I was 4th in line when they ran out. Really stupid decision by the brewery to do a 4 bottle limit with only 200 bottles especially when they saw how long the line was.

24. Jmamay22

Jmamay22 Champion (830) Sep 11, 2006 New York

2nd after they ran out. So it goes. I arrived about 10 minutes before opening. You can't blame the brewery for the popularity. Special releases are becoming difficult everywhere and are probably tough to manage.

Maybe have some type of online ticket system to avoid unnecessary trips? It would be nice, but probably unreasonable to expect a brewery (especially the smaller ones) to put time and money into it.

25. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (485) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Welcome to the world of limited releases. The only way to better ones chances of getting a bottle is to arrive early. Other than that its a crap shoot. I was unable to leave early but went anyway knowing that I'd probably get shut out. Arrived at noon and knew right away that I wouldn't get any. No worries ..sampled some other great beers, filled my growler and went home. It was a good beer day even without the score.

siege06nd likes this.
  26. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

There's going to be more BA Morning Bell, this was only one barrel's worth.

regularjohn, mdfb79 and ufmj like this.
  27. benz08

benz08 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2008 New Jersey

There were definitely more barrels. Doesn't mean they'll be soon though.

28. siege06nd

siege06nd Savant (922) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

You are being far too reasonable. If you ramp up the whining a little bit more, you'll fit in far better.

29. justin_nj

justin_nj Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 New Jersey

It sucks for the people that missed out on it, but on the bright side they still have 4 barrels filled with Morning Bell that were filled in May. So there will be more!

siege06nd likes this.
  30. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Zealot (515) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I was far too late to legitimately feel left out of the BA release, but I did make it there for my first time, and both Solitude and the quad kicked while I was waiting for a taster of them. I don't have the best beer luck.

Still a sweet place though, and I was really impressed by cloud cover. Doesn't seem to get as much love as the IPAs.

31. imbrue001

imbrue001 Aspirant (213) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

dude is probably a kane employee

32. dmac621

dmac621 Initiate (174) Nov 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This. Consider also Kane is going into their 2nd year and have never had a beer sell out that didn't see distribution. Granted the numbers were far greater but it lasted days, normally weeks, at the brewery and STILL hit many stores in NJ. I'm quite sure "they" had no idea how big the turn out would be. I would not be surprised for something different, maybe just a smaller bottle allotment, for the next release.

33. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Live and learn for them. I'm more happy for them that they had such a demand for their product in their 2nd year of existence.

siege06nd likes this.
  34. jkane101

Beer Trader

Not sure if that was directed at me, if so you'd be wrong. Although I wouldn't mind working the taps on a Saturday! My statement was based solely on my many experiences in attending limited releases, nothing more. With the availability of good brews on the shelves of stores nowadays I typically don't bother going to releases.

siege06nd likes this.
  35. Keyes88

Keyes88 Aspirant (278) Jul 19, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I think it's bc your user name says Kane in it

36. jkane101

Beer Trader

No doubt. Trust me I wish I was affiliated with the brewery...having sixtels of all their one offs at home would be okay with me!

37. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

People complaining they didn't get bottles when they showed up 10 minutes before opening? hmm..okay..

38. SPRichard

SPRichard Disciple (359) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

I showed up about 10 mins before opening and I was #49 in line

39. Jmac91

Jmac91 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New Jersey

I know me and my two friends went their and we were able to get 12 bottles all together. If you go to a limited release of course your going to get the maximum limit. We got their an hour early and stood in the rain. The people who are complaining are the one's who showed up at 11:50 to 12.

Squidly likes this.
  40. GoGators

GoGators Crusader (735) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Once they saw the line and the demand, there is no reason they couldn't drop the bottle limit to 2 (or even 3) per person to get this in as many hands as possible. With only 200 bottles out there it does not make any sense to place the limit at 4.

cactusleon and AdamP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.