Karben4 Beer Recall

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Victory_Sabre1973, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,564) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-new...-VzRr1wqGN7XrOzs824SpRxPMde_ct7e9Tosgj38nsFM8
    Apparently some Karben4 beers have been recalled due to the possibility of breakage of the bottles, and glass getting into the beer.

Here's a list of the recall:

• Fantasy Factory bottled on 11/08/18, 11/15/18, 11/20/18, 11/27/18, 12/04/18, 12/18/18, 12/27/18 and 12/31/18
    • Raspberry Fantasy Factory bottled on 11/13/18 and 11/27/18
    • Lady Luck bottled on 12/06/18 and 12/27/18
    • Dragon Flute bottled on 11/08/18 and 12/18/18
    • Block Party bottled on 12/13/18
    • Belly Bongos bottled on 12/13/18 and 12/20/18
    • Champagne Tortoise bottled on 12/13/18 and 12/31/18
    • Diet Starts Tomorrow bottled on 11/15/18 and 12/20/18

GreenBayBA and Milktoast75 like this.
  2. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Disciple (398) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Premium

During the 80’s, I worked as as Regional Sales Mrg for Coca-Cola. I can attest that this is a nightmare come true for any company in any industry. Product recall. I understand insurance can cover some of the loss of product cost but cannot cover consumer sentiment, loss of shelf or cooler space, if there is a temporary product shortage.

It is not Karen4’s fault, it’s the bottle supplier, but K4 will suffer for it. K4 has gotten out in front of this and most customers ( I sincerely hope) will understand the situation and not hold a grudge against K4.
    I live about 40 minutes from Madison and enjoy several K4 beers. Fantasy Factory, Block Party, Lady Luck.They have a passionate and growing fan base. I intend to reacquaint myself with their products very soon to show my support.

3. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,564) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

I've bought their beers in Hudson, and did like what I've bought. I hope that there's no issues about this.

eldoctorador and GreenBayBA like this.
  4. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Disciple (398) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Premium

I hope it’s just a bump in the road for them.
    I do think they will be ok based on their growth the last few years.
    Man, that’s destroying a lot of beer but no choice.

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,168) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

What are the tradeoffs to going with cans vs bottles? Cans wouldn't have the glass risk, but perhaps other risks? I'm amazed more breweries haven't gone to cans, so there must be some detractors.

6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,073) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I cannot think of any reason why cans aren't a better container for beer. Properly filled cans give greater protection than any bottle can provide and are far more cost effective to ship and store. As a retired gent who advised a lot of businesses I can understand why a small brewer might not be in a position to pay for an in house canning line, just please don't insult my intelligence by positing that craft beer somehow "deserves" presentation in a bottle. I know when smoke is being blown up my kilt.

I saw an interview with one of the Jester King owners who openly said their 750 mil bottles provided "a greater margin" than the same beer would in 12 oz cans and he couldn't help but smile when saying it.

7. bbtkd

Premium Trader

I agree that cans make more sense, stack better too. Some beers will probably always be in glass - for instance BCBS. I just don't see cans being good for their sales. As far as bombers, yeah profit margin is huge.

8. bbtkd

Premium Trader

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  9. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,348) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

Could not agree more. I've worked in beverages for 37 years, and not one of us veterans who worked here when we ran 100% glass wants to revisit those days - plastic, paper, pouches, and cans for us. I can remember trainees literally running out the door because of the noise and due to glass breakage on the lines. Glass was a horror show in comparison to what we do now. Completely different risk assessment and food safety plan requirements.

We've been looking into canning options for our pilot facility. For the time being, we have chosen a mobile outfit assuming we can integrate their quality procedures with ours. We've quoted a decently equipped modular two-head rinser/filler/seamer from Wild Goose and that runs around $60K for I think 30 cans a minute or 5.4 bbl/hour (CRS is setting in) and we bought two 500 gallon brite tanks for half what they cost new. If what we're doing takes off, we'll re-evaluate versus the cost of mobile canning, but I was quite impressed with the mobile outfit and their cost is damned favorable. The filling line capital costs range from around $30K for bare bones minimum to $200K. Significant investment when you are struggling to establish yourself - timing that investment and knowing your accounting would seem to be critical.

And the "perception" argument - yeah...if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it must be bullshit.

Squire and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.