KBS in KY

Discussion in 'South' started by TheBeerAlmanac, Apr 1, 2013.

1. brian44556

brian44556 Aug 29, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Anyone know of kegs of KBS that will be tapped in the Louisville area in the near future? I was lucky enough to score 2 four packs while taking a 2.5 hour lunch today.

2. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Nice! Me and my one bottle are envious (well, 3 bottles if you count the 2 left over from last year).

3. johnking82

johnking82 Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

In time, I have a good feeling either RCD, Four Pegs, or Grale will get some.

4. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Jan 8, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Hell Four Pegs had a release party for it last year. Didn't hear anything about one this year.

5. King23James

King23James Aug 30, 2009 Kentucky

Beaumont LB sold out in 5 minutes this morning. I was lucky to grab a 4-pack . Others were not so lucky. I believe they sold out with about 4-5 people left in line. I believe they got 2 cases. Supposedly, Richmond rd. Is getting their allotment on Friday.

6. johnking82

johnking82 Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

That's because our Founders rep has changed.

7. fiend4stouts

fiend4stouts Mar 2, 2010 Tennessee

Any Bowling Green sightings yet?

8. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Beer Trappe Lexington has singles at the bar if you feel like sitting down and having a bottle, not sure how many left. Also, I just grabbed the last 4 pack at LB Express in Chevy Chase, so they're out, too.

9. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 May 10, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Hmm, I'm visiting family in Lexington next Thursday-Sunday, but from the way it sounds I might be SOL. If anyone knows of places that still have it (draft-only or on-site consumption is fine), let me know.

10. Shagator

Shagator Mar 17, 2012 Kentucky

Please tell me you got yours at LB CC before 12. I was going to stop there on my way to the dentist but I decided to wait until after. Read your post on my way back to work.

11. Shagator

Did have it on draft at Pazzos tonight. did not disappoint

12. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Haha, it was between 12 and 12:30, you could have just edged me out!

13. Shagator

damn. i would have been there before you. How many did you end up with?

14. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Just two four packs, I think that's enough for this year.

15. Shagator

I got some at Pazzos and I was impressed. Had a KY Ale BB Stout later on. There is no comparison

16. jbrana

jbrana Mar 7, 2012 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Last year they tapped it at a few places during Derby weekend... wouldn't be surprised if that happened again.

17. Shagator

Should you want more, I do know of a store (maybe 2) that is getting some on Friday

18. margles

margles Apr 25, 2011 Kentucky

Shoppers will be getting some in next week from what I heard. And there just might still be some in Chevy Chase...also check whole foods

19. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

A guy named Justin at Shenanigans told me they're getting ONE case on Friday and they will, indeed, likely do single bottle sales. :(

20. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Jan 8, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Looks like Four Pegs is tapping it at 5 tomorrow (per their facebook page)

21. dvmky

dvmky Jun 17, 2012 Kentucky

lb richmond road is getting their shipment on friday. fwiw, whole foods intimated that they'd get some and it would come in yesterday or today; i didn't see any yesterday afternoon when i went in.

22. Shagator

I went there yesterday and did not see any as well

23. Jake_Ramrod

Jake_Ramrod Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky

I'll be at Richmond Rd at opening tomorrow. I got shut out at Hamburg and at Beaumont. Guy told me to be at Beaumont at 10:00. Showed up at 10:00 like I was told and when I asked where it was they laughed at me. Said it sold out immediately. Will try Shenanigans if I have to. Where's that damn snipe anyway?

24. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

Just confirmed Shenanigans has KBS, limit one bottle person, $6.99 a piece. Have fun with that one.

25. drfabulous

drfabulous Jul 23, 2005 Kentucky
    Subscriber

I'm so tired of the running to the store thing that I skipped even trying this year to get KBS (I did the store to store rush last year). I spent my money on three new Prairie Artisans. I love KBS, it's a great beer, but the crazy is getting too much for me. I didn't get any Black Note this year either. Just didn't get into the crazy. Prairie, on the other hand, is putting out stellar after stellar farmhouse beers. This is one of those breweries that I'm like: wow. We're getting this?

I say all this, though, knowing that Doom will get me wanting to rush out again. I feel committed to the Backstage crazy for some reason. Still crazy, I guess, after all these years.

BEERchitect likes this.
  26. Jake_Ramrod

Well, I got shut out at the Liquor Barn on Richmond Rd - AGAIN. When I went by this morning, there were about 30 people lined up outside the building. I thought that they were there for the KBS, but they were actually there for the new Maker's Bottle. I figured it out pretty quick, but the girl I spoke with said she didn't think they would be putting the KBS out until 10:00. I showed up a bit before that, but was told that they sold out right when they opened. Anyway, I snagged one at Shenanigans just now, but they are almost out already. $7 was steep, but it's worth it I guess. Now, on to West Sixth tonight hopefully.

27. Jake_Ramrod

drfab, I just saw two Prairie's at Shenanigans and thought about reading them after reading your blog about them. What's the price point on these? Any reason to be concerned with the amount of sediment at the bottom of the bottle?

28. drfabulous

Subscriber

I love these beers! They run in the $12 range. Whole Foods has a few and Beer Trappe has been carrying all (I think) that are out. The Gold was like a lambic without being a lambic. I've tried maybe 5, and I have one more to try. There may be one I haven't bought yet as well.

29. drfabulous

Subscriber

Also, I love Archer Liquor's update on their KBS allotment:
    "In an effort to put this beer into the hands of my local buyers, the ones who frequent the store and have helped make us who we are, we’re instituting what I’ve dubbed the Scramble Rule. At some point in the next week, I will hit the airwaves with an alert that will announce a time that it’s available. At that point the scramble begins: you jump on your bicycle, flag that bus, borrow that car, get the babysitter over to take care of the kids, whatever you need to do to get here pronto. There will be very little time between the alert and the time it’s being sold. And there will be even less time before it’s sold out. This will minimize the number of sharks that swim in from far away and take away your God-given right to this beer.

PS--Showing up with your mom and cousin so that you can get three? Nope, you will be publicly humiliated by the staff and shamed by all the other awesome people in the store. Be cool, share the wealth, we’re trying to make 24 people happy, OK?"

30. Jake_Ramrod

Yeah, I'm pretty frustrated with Liquor Barn right now after twice being given bad info on when to show up to get it. I had pretty much just given up on it and figured I'd catch it on tap soon enough anyway, but decided I'd give Shenanigans a go of it. It worked out in the end, but I would have loved to have gotten four of them. Oh well. Onward and upward. I did grab a couple of La Roja's that were stashed in the back. And, maybe I'll just go back and buy the two Prairie's that are left.

31. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

I agree with Prairie, although I think they're a little steep. I try them when I can, but I'm not totally convinced the price is justified.

I agree with the Backstage Series, too. For the all the hate they get around here, I actually liked Bolt Cutter and REALLY enjoyed Frangelic Mountain Brown, I feel like it's just the opposite of beer hype; a bunch of people dog it and everyone else feels the mob mentality whether they believe that or not.

32. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

I can't say the beer is worth all the craziness, or any beer is worth the craziness for that matter. I say we just keep petitioning West Sixth to bring back Snakes In A Barrel and that will more than make up for the shortage of KBS.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  33. Jake_Ramrod

I was at West Sixth last night and did just that. That's a great beer.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  34. KYGunner

KYGunner Sep 16, 2012 Kentucky

A petition drive should start for Country Boy to bring back RX Strength. I found it better than KBS and Snakes in a Barrel.

35. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

I see us having many gentlemanly arguments in the future over this topic. ;)

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  36. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN May 13, 2003 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Yeah, you are dead on with that outlook on the craft beer situation. Back when I started drinking craft beer gold was $270 an ounce(now its $1600) and there really was no rare hard to find beers. Guess I should have set my 401k back then to craft beer and gold.

brian44556 and KYGunner like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe