KBS in MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by BillDon, Mar 31, 2017.

1. BillDon

BillDon Aspirant (263) Jul 16, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Know it was released in VT on Friday. Any word on when it hits in Mass or any sightings?

2. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Initiate (154) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

I just called a few local liquor stores and spoke to a manager. They can tell you the day and time that their deliveries are expected.

Last year most said 1 bottle per person. This year a few are saying one 4pk per person

7irondave likes this.
  3. Myles048

Myles048 Initiate (138) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wollaston Wine and Spirits still has cases of the 2016 - 4 packs are $30

4. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (393) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think a lot of places are getting deliveries today.

Kevincredible likes this.
  5. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (180) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Urban Grape, Bacon's and Julio's have all said they have it.

6. hemiman

hemiman Initiate (182) Dec 17, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just got a 4 pack from Stans Liquors in Athol. Nice beer selection for a small store.

SouthAtholSuds likes this.
  7. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (283) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That place and the beer guy there are laughable. They lock their over priced individual BCBS and KBS bottles and do holds which i find highly annoying.

8. Myles048

Myles048 Initiate (138) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They do all the things that piss people off, unless you're the one getting the hookup -- I go there a lot, they know me, I spend a lot there, most of the time on 4-packs of hops, so when a good stout comes out, I know they'll hold one to take care of me.
    I like the beer guy there, he's always been very friendly (and no, I'm not him,) and they don't hover like CBC.

Not to highjack the thread though -- what's the KBS 2017 going for at other stores?

9. cdilisio

cdilisio Initiate (31) Apr 18, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

$22 in ME

10. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (174) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

Anywhere from $25-$28 in CT... ridiculous.

11. LiquidMetalSlime

LiquidMetalSlime Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

From $22 to $32 in RI

12. Manfrombelmonty

Managed to grab 10 bottles. $22.99 in two separate places and then $6 a bottle in the third place.

muzzy likes this.
  13. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (396) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I got some at Fifth Avenue in Framingham. $23 a 4 pack.

MyIronLung likes this.
  14. 7irondave

7irondave Aspirant (294) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What city/town? What stores?

MacCruiskeen likes this.
  15. Manfrombelmonty

Kappys Rt16 had 6 cases. Went on sale at 5pm. They are holding the bombers back til tmw

Kappys east Boston done 2 bottles per.

Belle isle wine in Winthrop got 4 cases.

Called Atlas in Medford. They'll have 6 cases on Thursday. Will announce of Facebook.

Other stores in the area are expecting Thursday deliveries too.

Best bet is total wine in Everett. Expecting 17 cases tomorrow plus ridiculously over priced bombers too

Nestor87 and 7irondave like this.
  16. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (143) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

i'd love to pick up some birthday kbs tomorrow, maybe i'll try Total Wine. Last year i was searching for kbs like crazy and only managed to get 2 bottles, and it was not worth the effort/money i put in to get them. Hopefully now that i have a car it will be easier. I know CBC Belmont is getting it this week and will be selling it Saturday at opening, but i'm typically not a fan of how CBC does it. One of them wanted you to buy a founders 4/6 pack in order to be allowed to buy it.

17. Manfrombelmonty

Best bet is to ignore the craft beer destinations like CBC or Redstone. They work the hype, get the crowds.

make a few calls to local stores with decent beer selections. I'm lucky to have 4 places near home and another 2 close to work that will be getting deliveries this week. I've called, spoke with the manager and now know when they expect delivery. I should be able to lay my hands on another 3 or 4 4pks before weeks end. Maybe more of the missus can help out.

Meanwhile, at some beer Mecca there'll be queues round the block on Saturday morning for some big hoopla of a release.

Gotta shop smart

18. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (25) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Shop S-Mart!
    [​IMG]

19. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (204) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

South of Boston looks to be getting their deliveries today and tomorrow

20. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (171) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

$40 a 4 pack in North Adams.

21. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (319) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Why is that ridiculous? The 2017 pricing for a four-pack from Founders directly went up to $24 (it was $20, I believe in 2016). I'd consider paying $25 to $28 for a four-pack a little more, but certainly not ridiculous.

A few liquor stores in the Boston area, I'm sure, will price at $8/bottle if not $9/$10. Kind of shocked seeing so many prices below the 4/$24 to be honest.

BAMF and 7irondave like this.
  22. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (204) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That's not bad at all... as for the $40 price in North Adams, that is straight up price gouging. Might as well be selling on secondary...

23. Jcorn

Beer Trader

paid $26 for a 4 pack yesterday in newton. seems steep until you realize that most good BA stouts come in $15+ bombers.

24. gclaw4444

Beer Trader

Where in Newton?

Also Social Wines in South Boston got it in today

25. Jcorn

Beer Trader

Martys

26. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (956) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Those bombers also tend to be better than KBS

27. Jcorn

Beer Trader

eh some are some aren't. but with distro'd beers you aren't necessarily paying for quality. there's some expensive shelf beers that suck & some inexpensive shelf beers that are excellent.

Rysk22 likes this.
  28. gclaw4444

Beer Trader

Figured, well i hope there's some left when i get out of work today but i doubt it.

29. Jcorn

Beer Trader

yeah they're pretty good about posting when they run out of sip of sunshine & i cant find that they've posted they ran out of kbs so maybe?

30. muzzy

muzzy Disciple (352) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Whole foods on river street in Cambridge has some.

31. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (956) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That's true with any beer. You referenced "good" bombers so I'm not referring to the bad ones. It would be foolish to assume the beer that cost more must be better.

I guess it's subjective overall but KBS always falls way behind in blind tastings next to other great BA stouts on shelves, in my experience.

32. MacCruiskeen

MacCruiskeen Initiate (16) Nov 26, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How much per bottle there? Do they have much of it? I just got 1 bottle at CBC Fenway.

PhilDicarlo likes this.
  33. muzzy

muzzy Disciple (352) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think the 4 pack was $25 or $26 or you have the option of the 750 but I don't know who much those were. Looked to be a couple of cases left and you can only pick 1 or the other.

34. MacCruiskeen

Beer Trader

Thanks, will go right now!

35. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (283) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I passed on the $30 price and decided to pick up some Sunday Morning Stout at half that instead.

SABERG, jjnasty and MyIronLung like this.
  36. Phineasco

Phineasco Devotee (439) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I got the last 750 at Marty's newton last night. Marty's Allston said they are getting it today. Blanchard a in Allston said there getting it tm.

37. MacCruiskeen

Beer Trader

1pp at The Wine Press in Brookline ($6.50) and 1pp at Supreme Liquors at Central Square, Cambridge ($7). Both only had one case.

38. prism

prism Initiate (147) Aug 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Boston Liquors has some. One 4-pack or one bomber pp. 4-pack was $24.99, and bomber was maybe around $19? I can't remember exactly.

39. Patronus823

Patronus823 Aspirant (230) Mar 21, 2013 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Just picked up 2 bottles at Liquor World in Porter Sq. 2 per person, $6.50 each. They had about 4 cases. Also had 1.5 cases of bombers

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. Manfrombelmonty

I went to Total wine in Everett at 4.30. Didn't have it.

Wife popped in on her way home and it's arrived. 1 4pk and 1 bomber pp.

On my way again now

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.