KBS on tap PRICE. WTF?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NbeerJ, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (336) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I wasn't referring to that price specifically, just the general comment about how people expect to pay more in nicer places. It was off-topic. $14 is ridiculous for a pour of KBS.

Kadonny likes this.
  2. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (692) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I don't understand everyone's complaining about markup and overcharging. KBS prices being talked about are in line with pretty much every other beer you would order in a bar. We all can buy a bottle of Dirtwolf or Sculpin (or any standard IPA/DIPA) for $2-$3 per bottle in a bottle shop, yet nobody complains about paying $6-$7 for it in a bar. So why is paying $10-$14 for a beer that costs $7-$8 in a bottle any different? If anything I think the markup is less on the BA expensive beers in general than it is on your standard every day craft choices because bars know there is only so much they can charge and expect to sell. And now throw in the fact KBS is rare and hard to come by, these prices should not be so shocking to anyone. House wines cost up to $10 a glass in many bars and restaurants, how much would one expect to pay for a glass of a "world class" wine? So let's not expect to go out and drink "world class" beers and not have to pay the price.

#42 KingforaDay, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    BMitch and SlothB77 like this.
  3. taestee

taestee Initiate (132) Dec 12, 2012 New York

yep. it's price elasticity... which is pretty much the only thing i remember from my econ studies in college.

4. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (417) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I never said I was ok with it. I also dont drink wine.

5. AricGresko

AricGresko Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

I actually got mine in a small 6-pack shop in a really small town in Pennsylvania. They just recently started getting more recognized craft beers. They sold BCBS for $8/bottle or a 4-pack for $30 (that's $7.50/bottle in a 4-pack).

6. fire34fighter

fire34fighter Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Virginia

People will pay that all day...A rare beer that's brewed every couple of years? It's worth it...Something thats pretty easily obtained once a year isn't though.

7. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Not in GR. It was on tap for about a week before it was killed. I can see it happening in other markets, but Founders was great with getting the market rather saturated it this year. I really wouldn't go much over $1 an oz. and felt the taproom price of $7 for an 8-9oz pour to be reasonable.

8. fire34fighter

fire34fighter Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Virginia

True. I meant in respect to other markets, $11 will kick in an hour in the DC area.

9. SlothB77

SlothB77 Zealot (522) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

Is Rustico gonna be a shitshow on saturday? what time should I get there, if the pours start at 11am?

10. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (445) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

ChurchKey's twitter feed intimated that it lasted a reasonable amount of time, so I would imagine showing up at 11 would be more than sufficient. But don't quote me on that.

11. SlothB77

It is a shitshow here.

They said 240 4oz pours of cbs and kbs available at $6 a pour.

12. SlothB77

About 150 people in line

13. DammitMike

DammitMike Initiate (81) Nov 28, 2014 Virginia

It was definitely packed, but I think they did a good job keeping it organized. I'm not sure if anyone was able to get a 2nd pour or if it kicked before the original line was done. It was damn good though!

BMitch likes this.
  14. SlothB77

It was well organized and well controlled. A lot of people gave up on the line. My only gripe is they only brought 72 pours of kbs.

15. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,384) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Founders stopped selling Sixtels, I think everything is Quarter keg or Half keg

16. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Not true, saw the legs being lined up at Rustico, many sisters of Founders there.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  17. BMitch

BMitch Initiate (110) Jul 10, 2012 Virginia

Yeah it went super smooth, one of the most organized events I've been to recently. Walked in, immediately got our pours (got the last pour of KBS, lucky me) and were lucky enough to get two tables next to each other for our large group. Waitress service was pretty fast especially considering for how busy it was. Thumbs up to Rustico on a great day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.