KBS sightings in CT!!!

Discussion in 'New England' started by seplo, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smutty33

smutty33 Zealot (558) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'll take a lil' heat off ya and thank you and mansfield for picking me up 1 of those luscious 4pks.

Saturday night bonfire/KBS it is!!

Cheers Bro.

seplo likes this.
  2. seplo

seplo Disciple (376) Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

You know it bro, see you then...CHEERS

3. seplo

Beer Trader

4. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

The problem with releases like this is you go to your normal store (in my case M&R) were I spend far to much money all year and I feel like I have to beg for a bottle or 2.

Stopped in some small store during lunch that I have never been to before and walk out with a case.

Doesn't make sense.

jaxon53 likes this.
  5. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (154) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Makes sense to me...you have your usual haunts that you rely on for most of your beer purchases as I'm sure most others do and oftentimes these are the same landmark locations that these same people typically rely on as well.

Hitting the smaller stores that are a bit more "in the cut" is a smart move as those lower profile locations likely don't receive the type of attention that would make that particular place a go-to for voracious craft beer lovers.

I would have never thought to hit Stew Leonard's Wines for my 4pk if it weren't for the fact that the more "popular" local stores were either working with lists (World Of Bev), hadn't received their shipments yet (Ninety9) or were limiting the amount sold per person due to the volume of inquiries that they had been receiving prior to the delivery (Total Wine).

Over time, I think this strategy will eventually catch up with itself. Nothing good lasts forever.

Congrats on the solid haul.

6. woosterbill

woosterbill Poo-Bah (2,591) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I'm glad others have been having luck; so far my attempts have met with nothing but frustration - and I wasn't even hoping to get more than a bottle or two. A couple stores told me they'd be getting some tomorrow, but since my local store told me they'd be getting it today and had already sold out with a 1-bottle limit by the time I got there at noon, I'm not holding my breath.

I did hear that Prime got a keg, so hopefully I'll just be able to drink a few glasses whenever that gets tapped; not a fan of aged KBS anyway.

Cheers!

7. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (409) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Atleast 1 or 2 places in Glastonbury have it on tap now

8. ScottieD

ScottieD Devotee (466) Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Got a 4 pack at M&R in Glastonbury but they sold out quickly. Had it on draft at Plan B in Glastonbury this evening. Amazing!!

9. CharlatanSin

CharlatanSin Zealot (513) May 28, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I ended up with 2 lonely bottles here in New Haven. Oh, well, way better than nothing. Hope I'll catch it if Prime puts some on tap.

10. LambAndTunaPhish

LambAndTunaPhish Initiate (162) Nov 16, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

For those still looking... Loading Dock in Milford just posted on facebook that they have it in. 2 bottle limit, $5.99 each.

11. sandman3479

Beer Trader

I never thought I'd see the day where Loading Dock made Ancona's look bad...

Sidenote: Appears Ancona's finally sold out last night...

Knifestyles likes this.
  12. Knifestyles

Their reasoning for their price point:

"trust me, it's a difficult decision when pricing rare, hard to get beer. In this particular instance we called around to other stores in Fairfield county that received this beer (not many stores got the beer). We were given pricing from $24 for a four pack to $15 for a single bottle. We settled on $9.99 which is somewhere in the middle. In this case demand supported the price that we set. This is far from our traditional method of pricing."

I checked and it turns out that it's actually not a difficult decision when pricing rare/hard to get beer.The whole call-a-bunch-of-stores-to-determine-an-average seems rather disingenuous. Why not mark it accordingly with your other beers (which we've agreed was already in-line with the area)?

It's not hard for them to get. It's hard to us to get.

sandman3479 likes this.
  13. LambAndTunaPhish

LambAndTunaPhish Initiate (162) Nov 16, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Picking "somewhere in the middle" doesn't make sense when most stores are in the $5-$6 range per bottle, with an outlier at $15. Pricing it at $9.99 still makes them an outlier. But, maybe that price allowed some people to get it who otherwise would have missed out if we all flocked there at $6/bottle.

14. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Yeah, sucked to see Mitch post that, as i actually think he's a good guy, and I like him as a person. It is what it is though. Let's hope it's just a blip on the radar and not something they do regularly with "rare" beer moving forward...

15. Knifestyles

I agree with that. I'm sure that anyone who hasn't had the access/opportunity to buy KBS before would jump at the chance of grabbing a bottle for $9.99. Nothing wrong with paying whatever price that you may think is reasonable.

However, they're also alienating their regular customers, such as myself, by creating a precedence with this type of pricing practice. I would say that I'm curious as to how they'll be pricing the next rare/hard-to-get beer that they receive, but I've officially crossed them off my list.

jaxon53 likes this.
  16. sandman3479

Beer Trader

I agree with all of this, but haven't officially gona as far as the bolded portion yet, although its garnered my attention.

17. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (172) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

The case cost $90 from the distributor. Even at $5.99 per bottle, they're still making a hefty profit. $9.99 is just ridiculous

jaxon53, averagjoe3 and smutty33 like this.
  18. Zbyler

Zbyler Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2013 Connecticut

I work at a store so maybe my opinion can help a little bit on subject. It is indeed extremely hard to price these types of beers. They come out once a year and where I work we get an extremely small amount, if any at all. This year our salesperson was allotted 3 cases total for all of his accounts. They had to split up cases and give stores individual six packs and bottles. It's a complete disaster.

In my opinion you cannot price these with the same profit margin as a "regular" craft beer. You also can't price gouge like I see a lot of these stores doing because that's just ridiculous. Can you charge a small percentage more? I believe that's more than reasonable.

Many stores are putting a cap on how many bottles you can buy per person but I see people finding stores that don't care and they walk in and buy a CASE. This is just as bad as price gouging IMO. We want to allow as many people that we can the opportunity to try this amazing beer and the people that go in a buy cases of it are causing just as much of a problem as the stores charging too much for it. Either way, people are still not getting any.

Hope that helps

~Z

19. jmarce

jmarce Initiate (70) May 15, 2011 Connecticut

Totally agree, I would have accepted a reasonable justification for $10 a bottle but that response just reinforces that I should probably avoid Ancona's from now on. Using a standard margin has worked for all their other beers in the past, including other limited releases, so why is this one any different? They took advantage of getting a beer that was hard to get for consumers and more then doubled their margins because they could find 24 people who would pay that price. It does seem disingenuous to say "We were given pricing from $24/4 pack to $15/bottle" when they probably talked to one place that was $15/bottle (wonder who that was by the way.) If I didn't know better and read their response on facebook I'd probably think they were somewhere in the middle on pricing when in reality they're one of 2 or 3 outliers. I talked to more than 6 places in the area including Ancona's and they were the only one over $6/bottle.

But like I said, good for them for squeezing another $100 out of their case of KBS from the .rar beer hunters. I hope they get a lot of super limited releases in the future because they'll need them to get those people back in their store to make up for the loss of business. I won't feel bad about buying my Sea Hag at Total Wine for $1.50 less a six pack or my Gandhi at Ninety9.

jaxon53, averagjoe3 and smutty33 like this.
  20. jmarce

jmarce Initiate (70) May 15, 2011 Connecticut

I agree that a limited release like this may merit slightly higher margins because of the hassle associated with it, if they wanted to charge $7 bottle, which is an almost 50% larger margin than those charging $6 if the $90 a case cost is correct, because someone had to deal with phone calls all day then fine I wouldn't be upset about that. But this release wasn't crazy, it's not like they had to have extra employees working and deal with a huge line of people waiting to get it, they get the case, put it behind the register and answer a phone call once in a while. People come in throughout the day, it sells itself and it's gone in a few days at the most. Charging $10 a bottle, which equates to a margin of more than 2.5 times other stores in the area, and then saying well another store is charging more when someone inquires about the price strikes me as being similar to a mom asking her child if he broke a lamp in the house and the child responding yes but his brother took the car for a joyride and crashed it so he shouldn't get in trouble.

Zbyler likes this.
  21. sandman3479

Beer Trader

No one is arguing the bottle limits, just their pricing method for this instance. Ancona's also isn't a small store. It's not large, but it's one of the better known for it's area for craft beer, and i'm sure it pumps out a fair anount of regular Founders product.

22. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (467) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Essentially using the rarity as an excuse for gouging and departing from standard or slightly higher margins. "I've got it, and I will charge right up to what the market will bear". Screw you customer. Good thing Mitch wasn't selling gas or generators during the storms. Off the list. I won't support him on regular purchases if he doesn't support fair pricing on rare stuff.

jaxon53 and smutty33 like this.
  23. seplo

Beer Trader

I will be the guy that will argue btl limits. Even though I'm for them it's up to the store to decide what to do with them. If they want to sell a case to someone that's their beer and can do what they choose. Now usually that's gonna happen at a mom and pop store that doesn't know what they got. Most craft beer stores know what they got and ration it whether by the btl or 4 pk. I wouldn't be mad at the guy that bought a case or the store owner that sold it, I'd be pissed at the distributor for sending it there in the first place. Shit I wish I was the guy lucky enough to get the case, I'd be like "fuck yeah, I got a case".
    99% of the stores the get KBS are gonna ration it off by btl or 4 pk who cares about the other 1% that sold their only to one guy.Quit your bitching and get on the hunt

P.S. Screw Ancona and their $10 a btl, that's B.S.

smutty33 and Zbyler like this.
  24. Zbyler

take this into account when you think of other things in life that are "rare" or collectors editions. Cars, cards, autographed memorabilia, any collectible item really. People are willing to pay more therefore stores are more than willing to charge more. If you were on the list to purchase the new mclaren and they only made 100 of them you're damn straight that they are gonna charge a pretty penny for them no? Why is it any different when it comes to beer? Not saying price gouging is right but saying that KBS should be priced at the same margin as other beers is a little outrageous if you ask me.

Besides, the stores that did actually get some KBS have to sell a shitload of founders products so the store is putting in work up front to try and sell more of those products to even get a chance to receive some KBS. We carry everything that we can get from founders and sell it like hot cakes and we still only got 3 4pks. Its nuts.

~Z

25. DrWangerBanger

DrWangerBanger Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2010 Connecticut

I'm sort of conflicted. On one hand, beer stores are capitalist in nature and if they can get away with selling KBS bottles for $9, more power to them. It's their store and people are buying it, so they can do whatever they want.

On the other hand, it definitely shows a fair amount of disrespect for their customers. Back when the Loading Dock was selling $25 packs of Heady Topper / $10 per can, I was pretty insulted by such pricing, so I haven't gone back there since.

I guess the bottom line is you need to vote with your wallet and that's really all you can do.

jaxon53, smutty33, RMoeNay and 2 others like this.
  26. Knifestyles

Why is it "outrageous" that KBS should be handled just as any other beer is? Pricing it otherwise (i.e. beyond your typical mark-up) just smacks of opportunism and only perpetuates the practice in the end. It's really not that special of a beer. This just happens to be the first time that it's been available in CT which clearly resulted in a large portion of the local beer community clamoring for it, thus creating a demand that most shops have not seen before. To take advantage of this interest where it has otherwise not existed seems particularly questionable (especially in a store where this type of precedence has not yet been set). It's a slippery slope to even more dubious practices (see Loading Dock).

Also, comparing it to collectible non-consumables such as cars/cards/memorabilia is a little misguided.

Care to share which store it is that you work at?

sandman3479 likes this.
  27. sandman3479

Beer Trader

While maybe not the same margin, it shouldn't be so out of whack to offend people, or THAT much off in general.

Then again, you can charge what you want. It'll probably still sell, but at what cost in the long run...

What county are you in? Sounds like your county got the short end of the stick.

28. Zbyler

I guarantee that if you are an avid beer drinker that you have paid much more than standard mark up for a beer before. Without even knowing it.

Also, I am not allowed to share the store I work at per the BA's request. They consider it soliciting. Sorry.

~Z

29. Zbyler

New haven county. Smallest ditributor and smallest allocation of product as usual ha. It sucks.

~Z

30. seplo

Beer Trader

"Really not that special", it's ranked 6th and deservedly so, it comes out once a year and is delicious, I appreciate YOUR opinion but I disagree with you and I think most CT BA's would too

smutty33 likes this.
  31. Knifestyles

1) It appears that you've sidestepped my point entirely.

2) I pride myself in putting in the proper research so that I'm appropriately armed with enough knowledge to not allow myself to be taken advantage of in such a manner. Much like Ancona's, I can/will also call a variety of stores to inquire about their pricing. Once I've done so, I can then make an informed choice about where to make my purchases. So no, you can't guarantee that at all. Choosing to accept a significant up-charge on a consumable such as beer is far from being taken advantage of....trust me, I've been to Spuyten Duyvil enough times to know the difference.

3) You're allowed to say where you work. Advertising is one thing, but disclosure is another. Fortunately, I don't do that much beer shopping in New Haven County....so I think I'm safe.

32. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (467) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Respectfully disagree with you on the analogy. The margins on items like you mention are abnormally high because those sales support that particular style of business which is high margin and ultra low volume. The prices need to support the business far longer than someone selling commodities like Bud Light along side a price gouged KBS. I never said it didn't warrant higher margins, just not out of this world margins. I hope Mitch enjoys the extra C note in light of people that he turned off.

33. Zbyler

Not sure why you are arguing as we are both making the same point. I am not in favor of the higher mark up that people are putting on their bottle of KBS but I also don't think that a slightly higher margin than normal is out of line.

In response to your "think I'm safe comment" I would like to reiterate this point AGAIN that I do not participate in price gouging at my store. Never have, never will.

Also, since you seem to be a price hunter without regard for shop loyalty and/or service in general it does not matter what the name of my store is. To each their own. Also, your method of calling all the bottle shops in the area does not mean that you have not been overcharged for a limited release beer. It simply means that you found the cheapest in your area which is the smartest thing you can do in that situation.

34. sandman3479

Beer Trader

As I read it, I believe he meant it is special, but not over the top like many beers that are out there, hence the italics on "that".

Knifestyles and Zbyler like this.
  35. Zbyler

I completely agree with the point of a reasonable margin. That's what I have been saying the whole time. Also, not sure who "mitch" is but I don't know what you're talking about here. Feel free to clarify.

~Z

36. sandman3479

Beer Trader

Mitch Ancona, owner of Ancona's Wines and Spirits. He made an extar $100 for selling KBS for $10 a bottle (the thing we've been talking about for the last page).

smutty33 and Knifestyles like this.
  37. seplo

Beer Trader

Well if he did my bad, but only he knows

38. averagjoe3

averagjoe3 Initiate (127) Jul 9, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

the artist formerly known as total wines in Milford. 10.99 per bottle, 1 bottle limit. they just lost ALL of my business for the future. unbelievable

39. sandman3479

Beer Trader

There ya go! And Mitch tooooooooootaly redeemed himself!!!!

Knifestyles likes this.
  40. Knifestyles

Not sure if sweeping generalizations are just your thing or what, but I would absolutely consider the conscious over-inflation of prices to be a disservice in and of itself. So I actually do have quite a bit of regard for such.

However, with respect to loyalty, due the varying nature of stock on a store-by-store basis, it's difficult to purchase everything in just one place. Regardless of whichever store you happen to work at, I can guarantee that you do not stock all products that are available in our market. Is it disloyal of your "regulars" to go down the street to another retail location to buy something that you never stocked to begin with or is simply priced competitively? Choosing the lowest price has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty or service and my local stores will not hold it against me if I do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe