1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

KBS Trade

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by ThirstyD70, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThirstyD70

ThirstyD70 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Michigan

I have some 2014 Kentucky breakfast stout and was curious on its trade value to Pliney the Younger or pliney the elder?

2. unclejazz

unclejazz Maven (1,287) Oct 24, 2011 New York

Pliny the Elder is the only Pliny you could really trade for. younger is draft only at the brewery and a few bars in February. Both KBS and PtE are shelf beers and in high demand, so you could go $4$ or slightly higher since KBS is only released once a year. I would consider a fair trade to be 4 KBS for 5 or maybe 6 Pliny the Elder. Good luck and make sure the Pliny you are trading for is fresh!

mythaeus likes this.
  3. ThirstyD70

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to drink at least the top 100 beers this year so the younger news is a bummer. Also have some fresh Heady Topper if you know the trade value of it.

4. Bigtwin

Bigtwin Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2010 Michigan

Heady goes $4$ with the likes of PtE and ZD.

5. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

trying the top 100 will be tough. some of those beers are incredibly difficult to get your hands on. good luck though, should be fun. what part of michigan are you from?

6. ThirstyD70

Muskegon, you? Yeah I know it's going to be very difficult

7. fishmich

im quite a ways from you. if you are ever in the northern oakland county area feel free to hit me up, i can probably help you knock a few of the top 100 down.

8. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Pooh-Bah (1,982) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nice post!

9. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Do as you wish but please don't trade your KBS for any PTE

ChrisChagnon, willth and tommyz like this.
  10. fishmich

i was gonna suggest that also. there are some good michigan shelf beers that will trade for pliny, no real need to trade your kbs for that. id use the kbs to get some of the other top 100.

tommyz likes this.
  11. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

As much as I love Pliney, no way would I trade a KBS for it...just my opinion...

JasonR1975 likes this.
  12. ThirstyD70

So now that I have all that info what would be some good trades for the KBS?

13. fishmich

if im looking at the top 100, i would aim for beer with similar limited distribution and availability. things like Bourbon County, BC Coffee, Parabola, Sucaba, Abyss, Darkness, Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain and so on. some of these you will be able to do 1 for 1, others you will need to 2 or 3, and something like Chocolate Rain might take as many as 6 but some will do maybe 4 plus some good locals to even out $ value.

keep in mind some of the IPAs in the top 100 like Pliny and Heady are made year round and the people that have it likely have a limited but regular access to it. so trading a once a year limited barrel aged high quality stout for it doesnt make much sense unless you just really want Pliny and want the trade done quickly. personally i never trade my high end stouts for IPAs because i can usually just go to the store and buy an IPA that satisfies the taste buds just as well as anything i can trade for. granted Pliny and and Heady really are amazing but they arent that much different from quality brews we can get here in Michigan. whereas with stouts i cant just go to the store and buy a high quality barrel aged stout on a regular basis. to each his own though, if you are more of an IPA guy and both sides of the trade are happy then thats great.

ThirstyD70 and markgugs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.