KC Trip

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by kanderna, Mar 12, 2017.

1. kanderna

kanderna Initiate (121) Sep 8, 2009 Iowa

Hi all,

Sorry for the new thread... I looked for a KC Distro thread, but came up a bit empty. I'll be in KC on Friday-Sunday. Hanging mostly around Legends area and in Basehor, but will be driving 152 through Liberty as well. Looking for anything I can't get in IA (and seekabrew has sadly become out of date). Are there any must stops from a beer/bottle shop standpoint? Any recent drops I should be looking for? IPA and BA stouts would be the major areas of interest.

Thanks!

2. given2flybrewing

given2flybrewing Initiate (93) Dec 19, 2008 Missouri

3. kanderna

Thanks... that's one I've not heard of before. Although it appears to be a bit out of date as well. Do these sites depend on the users to send updates when new beer comes to their state?

4. given2flybrewing

given2flybrewing Initiate (93) Dec 19, 2008 Missouri

The mybeerhaul database is updated on a weekly basis using user feedback, news feeds, brewery updates etc. If you have any changes or notice errors, there is a contact button on the site, as well as social media links. Beer distribution changes frequently, so user support to help maintain accuracy of the data is important.

5. kanderna

Looks like a good site. After posting above I did send him an email with some changes to the Iowa offering. He responded quickly and mentioned a few updates he's going through on his side.

6. Disc_n_Beer

Disc_n_Beer Initiate (77) Mar 20, 2015 Iowa

The Hy-Vee in Liberty has a nice selection. As of Sunday they had Avery's Tweak and Uncle Jacobs along with 4 Hands Absence of Light. Can't speak to the freshness of their IPAs though.

7. TheHopsman

TheHopsman Zealot (568) Apr 7, 2015 Nebraska
    Trader

I've never stopped on the north side of KC for beer shopping so I'll be interested in seeing some suggestions as well. I'll tell you what though, when I left Lukas Liquors Superstore way down south on Washington Ave, I was not disappointed. Gomer's Midtown had some goodies but tiny & pricey; the trade-off for downtown shopping convenience. I personally think Missouri's distro is better than Kansas' so there's my biased opinion. Good luck scavenging!

8. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (107) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

I am looking to attend the Sporting KC vs Minnesota United FC match in June. What are the places I should check out when I am down there?

9. FermentalDisorder

FermentalDisorder Initiate (88) Oct 12, 2016 Oregon

Kansas sucks for beer. I know, I lived there for 20 years. Your choices near the soccer stadium are pretty much just Yard House or a cooler in the trunk. For eats you MUST try Arthur Bryants! It's right across the street. Their "sweet heat" sauce is awesome and they still cook their fries in lard! Mmm Mmm good!!!

As for brewery stops, Martin City is the best. It's on the far south side of everything but there's a bonus stop nearby. Lukas is only a few blocks away. It's likely the biggest liquor store you'll ever see and they have a nice tap room (Harrys) next door.

The Boulevard tasting room / tour is cool if mass produced crap is your thing. It's so sad. They used to be innovative and crafty. Now they're just a beer factory. I don't know why people go to the tasting room when everything they make is available in every deserted grocery store from coast to coast.

loubear likes this.
  10. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (228) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Please tell me where I can find said deserted grocery stores. I could really use some Rye on Rye on Rye and Scotch on Scotch, not to mention all those test beer batches they seem to serve up in their tasting room. Either I'm just missing where they're sitting on a shelf here in Minnesota or Boulevard's "beer factory" apparently just can't keep up because all of those beers seem to be available in their tasting room right now.

11. KiddVideo

Do you have any recommendations for KC BQ?

12. Disc_n_Beer

Disc_n_Beer Initiate (77) Mar 20, 2015 Iowa

Arthur Bryants is BBQ, I prefer Joe's KC (formerly known as Oklahoma Joe's), can't go wrong either way...or better yet get both and decide for yourself!

13. KiddVideo

Thanks!!!

14. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Aspirant (219) Sep 25, 2016 Nebraska
    Trader

KC Joe's it pretty darn good, but my personal favorite is Fiorella's Jack Stack. But honestly, you can't go wrong with either places. Joe's is definitely more economically friendly, but the meat at Jack Stack's is mouth watering.

15. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (602) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

What about BB's Lawnside BBQ? Its nothing crazy but I really like the place. Hell, there isn't a bad BBQ place in KC that I've been to, unless you count Char Bar at which the food is good but service is terrible

16. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,482) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Just saw this. Haven't read through any of the other posts, but I will share my "essential" visits in Kansas City.

Kansas City Joe's is the BEST BBQ in Kansas City. Visit there. I will say this: their Night of the Living BBQ sauce is what places them so highly above the rest. It's a spicy sauce that actually carries true spice to my pepper junky tongue, and yet doesn't feel like it's going to melt my face. The meat is exceptional as well. Any beer will taste great here (and they serve a variety of macro/Boulevard from the bottle).

Beer and a meal: visit Emperial Brewery. The burger was fantastic when I visited. I fully intend to come back for the trout and duck at some point, that's how much faith I have placed in these folks. I had a milk stout, which was great, although smoky - so be careful if that's not your thing. The IPA was solid as well.

Not proficient on the North side of KC. I have a brewery crawl planned to sample their beers up there, but it hasn't happened yet. I hear great things about Cinderblock. Smoke N Guns BBQ up there is great though.

17. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Initiate (117) May 31, 2014 New Jersey

Searched and this seemed like the most recent thread. Heading to KC for work this weekend, staying the Overland Park area, but really only have tomorrow night free anyway. Any breweries or beer places worth checking out? Can go straight from airport so doesn't have to be particularly close to Overland Park (as long as it's not in the opposite direction). Have plenty of suggestions for food, but definitely looking to try some new good beer if it exists out there

Harrison8 likes this.
  18. Harrison8

Society Trader

Airport is near North Kansas City, which has several breweries: Cinderblock, Red Brick, Calibration, and Colony. Cinderblock is definitely the biggest. Depending on when they most recently canned, you can take home a 4 pack of some of their beers, which aren't available in stores. I've heard of the others, but haven't visited just yet. NKC is walkable, but not nearly as good as Double Shift/Border (literally next door).

Crossroads just south of downtown and also has several spots - Brewery Emperial, Double Shift, Border, and Torn Label. The first three don't distro, but Double Shift and Border usually have a bottle or two available for purchase, although fair warning - Border has seemed to have the same two bottles the last year. Brewery Emperial is my favorite spot to get a burger and beer. Simple burgers and beer, but both are good. All the Crossroads breweries are on 18th street, or just a block off, so it's pretty darn easy to hop places.

Bierstation is one of my favorite spots. It's over more in south KC, close to the state line. They don't make their own beer, but serve lots of it, with a good to-go selection. KC Bier is in the same neighborhood (all German style beers), but not walk able from Bier Station.

Not sure really what is out towards Overland Park. I'm more familiar with the opposite side of the state line. Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask any more questions or such!

emerge077 likes this.
  19. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (184) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Regarding KC breweries, they've only had a couple soft openings and 1 or 2 brewery releases so far, but I was fortunate enough to acquire a couple BKS Artisan Ales (Brookside area) beers, Clouds (NEIPA), Vacation Island (session sour) Mai Tai and Holstein (milk stout) with Oddly Correct coffee. Both were fantastic. Anyway, since this thread popped up and I haven't seen anything related to them, I thought I'd post them as a place both Kansas Citians and visitors should check out.

emerge077 and Harrison8 like this.
  20. Harrison8

Society Trader

I keep missing their events. I would really like to try their stuff! Eagerly awaiting a more formal, or long-term opening from them.

Did Holstein have Oddly Correct coffee or was that their Rockhill & Locust beer? I'm not much for mild ales, but I do adore Oddly Correct's work. I think it'd be an interesting brew to try.

EDIT: Looks like they plan to open for regular Saturday hours in December according to their website.

KCUnited likes this.
  21. KCUnited

Trader

Holstein had the Oddly Correct coffee. I'm not sure if that's standard or a variation of the base milk stout. It tasted like cold brew coffee with hints of chocolate and drank quite a bit bigger than it's 6%. I know that they are a very small operation, husband and wife, who are both keeping their day jobs in the short term. So hours could be sparse early on. I'm really excited for them and think they'll be a strong addition to the KC beer scene. I think he'll give KC a consistent, well done, NEIPA with a nice mix of Belgians, stouts, and fun sours.

Harrison8 likes this.
  22. Harrison8

Society Trader

Oh wow. I didn't know it was a side operation for a couple. That's great. Seriously. Holstein sounds delightful, especially with Oddly Correct coffee.

I'm really eager to try their stuff. I don't often go out of my way for beer, but I'll have to make the drive over on a Saturday in December and do a bit of sampling. It sounds like they'll fit into the beer scene well, plus the brewery is in a cool spot. Thanks for sharing!

KCUnited likes this.
  23. emerge077

emerge077 Poo-Bah (10,575) Apr 16, 2005 Illinois
    Trader

Too late to help you, but in case anyone else finds this thread looking for Overland Park beer stuff... it's pretty much a brewery wasteland besides Brew Lab, which opened a promising new tap room a few months ago. Lukas has a huge newer store there, and Barley's is the local beer bar.

There's also a Gordon Biersch on the border of OP in Leawood (don't think they actually brew on site). Depending how far south you go, Martin City Brewing is also out that way, but I wouldn't necessarily make a special trip to either one.

Harrison8 likes this.
  24. Harrison8

Society Trader

Since this seems to be the only KC thread I'll ask here: anyone going to BKS today for their release?

KCUnited likes this.
  25. KCUnited

Trader

I'll likely try and trade for a Pine Tree, but with only 200, that may prove difficult. I'd definitely be there if I still lived in KC.

Harrison8 likes this.
  26. Harrison8

Society Trader

Yeah, I'm curious how quick stuff will go. And they only have 80 of each bottle of Vacation Island. Not sure if that's a lot, or not much based on their expected turn out.

27. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (105) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

i'm gonna be in KC on friday...that BKS artisan ales sounds very up my alley but unfortunately will not be open. is there any great/fresh local hoppy beers i should pick up that i could find in 4/6 packs at lukas or gomers around right now?

Harrison8 likes this.
  28. Harrison8

Society Trader

BKS will be open Saturdays starting on Saturday, but that doesn't sound like it'll work. Unfortunately, we're really lagging in terms of NEIPA hops (if that's what you're seeking).

Torn Label's Hang 'Em High (a West Coast IPA with rotating hops) has their 15th batch out now. I'd look for that, although it comes in bombers. Torn Label also reguarely cans their Alpha Pale Ale, which is borderline IPA hoppy (IMHO). It's good stuff, just make sure it's fresh as some of it has a tendency to sit.

Should you be up north, I'd give Cinderblock a call and see if they have any cans in stock. They can their beers every now and then, and just sell through the brewery. Format is a 4 pack of 16oz cans.

Martin City is down south by one of the two Lukas Liquors. Their Hardway IPA is a staple. Otherwise, you could snag some Kentucky Frair (an American Strong Ale) and their BA Abbey in 6 packs right now. I know it's not hops, but I think it's super tasty stuff.

Holler if you've got any more questions, or if you potentially want to meet up for a brew. Enjoy your visit!

poopinmybutt likes this.
  29. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (105) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

thanks for all the info! it turns out that i may not even be able to hit up anything in the actual "KC area" which kind of stinks, as i will only be there for a couple of hours to look at furniture at ikea and have to get back to town by evening :grimacing:

i am definitely at least going to q39 south and the KS gomers...and potentially martin city now. thanks again!

Harrison8 likes this.
  30. swenny916

swenny916 Zealot (550) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Has there been much of a line for the BKS releases? Going to be there next Saturday. Sounds like a real cool place.

Harrison8 likes this.
  31. Harrison8

Society Trader

There have been decent lines (~60 people) and growing. Releases sell out within the hour.

The real issue is getting in for drafts when they start serving. They reach capacity inside within a half hour of opening. If you're okay with hanging outside in the cold, you could probably show up later for draft pours, but if it's semi-decent out it'll be packed.

swenny916 likes this.
  32. swenny916

Society Trader

Good for them! Sounds like they are making some great beer.

Harrison8 likes this.
  33. Harrison8

Society Trader

Agreed. I'm glad KC is supporting them so well, I just wish I could get it a little easier. Still, I'm excited for their future. I think if they make the right decisions, they could really create something amazing.

swenny916 likes this.
  34. swenny916

Society Trader

Makes sense. What have the limits been?

Harrison8 likes this.
  35. Harrison8

Society Trader

They've been doing anywhere from 1 to 2 per person. The last Pine Tree IPA release they did, it was 2 per trip, but you could go back through as many times as you wanted. They limited their 3 session sours to 1 total per trip (i.e. had to go through the line 3 times to get all 3).

During that trip, they did remove the limit when the line was nearly cleared, so if you were around then you could have bought as much as you wanted. I'm not sure how this last release went or if they'll continue to blow out their stock the last part of the release.

swenny916 likes this.
  36. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Disciple (398) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

Visiting KC this weekend and this thread has been a great resource. I'll be in between Overland Park and the Nelson Atkins area, and it sounds like Double Shift and BKS will be the best breweries in the area? ISO more farmhouse/fruity IPA type styles.

Harrison8 likes this.
  37. KCUnited

Trader

It may be a bit out of your way, in Raytown (just east of the city), but Crane does some really nice farmhouse beers. You may be able to find some of their bottles in shops around the city if you can't make it to their brewery. If you're going to Double Shift, you should probably hit Torn Label down the street as well. I enjoy their hoppy beers and generally like them more than Double Shift. BKS would be a must even if they're still a little limited on selection.

CowsandBeer and Harrison8 like this.
  38. Harrison8

Society Trader

Just as @KCUnited said, Crane is a good stop for some Farmhouse style beers. They tend to keep their Farmhouse IPA well stocked in stores. There is also a Brett version of their Farmhouse IPA, if that's something you're into. Small Ball is a saison as well. Lots of good stuff coming out of them.

BKS usually has one or two of their farmhouse beers on tap, at least during my visits.

Torn Label did a juiced version of their rotating hop series IPA Hang 'Em High that was delightful. Hard to say if it's still on tap, but the brewery is a few block walk from Double Shift. It's in a strange alley, but it's at least close by.

It isn't fruity, but KC Bier is fairly close as well. They serve up German beer, which may fall more around that malty sweetness you're seeking in a farmhouse. It's winter too, which means they have all their tasty beers out (IMHO).

Stockyards is about as north as Crossroads (where Double Shift, Border, Brewery Emperial, and Torn Label all reside), but sorta out more west towards you. They serve up a saison, although I'm not totally sure if it's on tap right now.

Tank 7 is the KC classic farmhouse, but that's available regionally.

Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank on any close-to-you breweries. That area of Kansas is sorta dry, although somewhat expanding its beer production. It's also a side I make it to very rarely.

39. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Disciple (398) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

Thanks for the assist guys! Sounds like I'll be adding Torn Label to the list if they're all in the same area! KC Bier sounds like it's worth checking out as well. I've been to Crane a few times and that place is outstanding.

Harrison8 and KCUnited like this.
  40. albionmoonlight

albionmoonlight Initiate (36) May 14, 2016 North Carolina

Hey. Yet another guy (hopefully) coming to KC for work at the end of May. Any updates to this thread? I've got a good sense based on what y'all have said above.

Is there anywhere that has a good variety of local stuff on tap so I can maximize my exposure?

Oh, and I will be there over the week--not a weekend, so the BKS tap room is not possible :-( Anywhere I can get their stuff on tap that isn't their taproom?