Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Keeping the Keezer dry inside

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by inchrisin, Aug 21, 2013.

1. inchrisin

I'm getting some condensation inside of my keezer and I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks to help keep things dry. I vaguely remember the freezer reading "manual defrost" somewhere on the booklet that got thrown away with the styrafoam and box. :)

2. Seacoastbrewer

3. texasdrugaddict

4. inchrisin

Thanks. Damprid it is. Sounds like expensive salt, but I'll reuse it by throwing it in the oven after it gets soggy.

5. DougC123

Subscriber

Frequent opening and closing or a bad seal can contribute to moisture problems. To rule out the seal, I'd check the gasket by putting a flashlight inside and turning off the lights in the room and inspecting it.

inchrisin likes this.
  6. mikehartigan

You need a good seal. That includes silicone caulk in any openings around the lines (assuming you have beer and/or gas lines going through the wall/collar/etc.), temperature probes, and anything else that enters or exits the keezer.

Don't open it unless absolutely necessary.

Periodic wiping down and cleaning of the interior, using bleach or something else that will keep mold at bay (it's almost a fact of life unless you clean it way more frequently than you think necessary)

And DampRid.

7. HopsJunkiedotcom

8. billandsuz

if you have a condensate drain, make sure it isn't plugged. remember too that a chest freezer was not designed to manage liquid condensate. always having some liquid inside is the price you pay.

personally, I just shop vac the keezer every now and again. they're both in the basement. how convenient.
    cheers.

Scrapss and inchrisin like this.
  9. inchrisin

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I especially like the flashlight idea to make sure I'm sealed up. :)

10. ne0m00re

Does anyone use straight calcium chloride dessicant? It looks like you can get 50 lb bags of the stuff for pretty cheap...

11. inchrisin

Road salt. :)

12. DougC123

Subscriber

So what did you find on your investigation?

13. inchrisin

My Damp Rid hasn't done anything in a week. I've got it siting on the motor hump and the water is still down at the bottom of the kegs @37F.

14. DougC123

Subscriber

If that was dry and there is standing water after a week you have a leak. Bet you a buck.

15. mikehartigan

Damp Rid is not likely to remove much standing water. The idea is to absorb the humidity in the air to prevent it from condensing into a puddle. FWIW, I occasionally pour a bit of bleach into the bottom to at least keep the bugs at bay, thus preventing the mold and slime that would otherwise form. I also remove the kegs periodically, dry it with towels, and wipe it down with bleach. FWIW, I also dump about a pint of water from the DampRid cup every couple weeks.

inchrisin likes this.
  16. DougC123

Subscriber

Air leak into the box. I should have been more clear.

17. inchrisin

My Damp Rid isn't even wet at the bottom yet. It looks like the day I bought it. :(

18. inchrisin

I'll see your buck and raise you another that the salt would be wet then. I'll check when I get home.

19. DougC123

Subscriber

So when you put the Damp Rid in did you dry everything off or did you just drop it in? As Mike said it isn't really a product that will absorb standing water. It works on humidity in the air. So here is my theory....you accumulated water as warm humid air is leaking in or being introduced by opening and closing the unit and condensing. You put the Damp Rid in but meanwhile the humidity hasn't been as bad or you haven't been checking inside as much and therefore you have no moisture in the salt.
    I'd suggest drying and restarting the test from dry. I'd also do the flashlight test to rule out leaks.

inchrisin likes this.
  20. inchrisin

I did the flashlight test and did a little patching. There is still a bit of standing water. I'll mop it up and try again. :)

21. mikehartigan

Keep in mind that a properly built keezer, while hardly a PITA, is not entirely maintenance-free. Despite your best efforts at sealing and dessicating (is 'dessicating' a verb?), you'll still need to empty and clean it regularly. Condensation is a fact of life and the water that results can, indeed, be problematic (mold, slime, corrosion, etc.). Damp-Rid will buy you some extra time between cleanings, but it won't eliminate it. Mine gets a thorough cleaning roughly once a month, or any time a keg kicks, whichever comes first.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe