Keg seems a little light

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by kegeratorman, Sep 7, 2013.

1. kegeratorman

kegeratorman Sep 7, 2013 Michigan

So I just went out to Dragonmead brewery and picked up a half barrel keg of Final Absolution. I haven't lifted up a half barrel by myself in a few years, but the weight of this keg seemed pretty light to me. I was able to load it into the back seat of my SUV by myself and carrying it to my kegerator seemed unusually easy. Has anyone every had this experience, or heard of kegs not being filled to capacity? This keg was more than $300 at the end of the day and I just want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off here.

Thanks in advance!

2. commis

commis Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

Chill it to near-freezing and then pull it out and let it sit for a minute at room temp. You should see a ring of condensastion indicating the level of liquid.
    Or weight it.

3. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

The beer in a half should weigh around 130lbs without the barrel.

4. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Hot water down the side of a cold keg will have the same affect. If you pour hot water down the side you'll have hot metal where the keg is empty and cold metal where the keg is full. This works for propane tanks too. ;)

5. kegeratorman

kegeratorman Sep 7, 2013 Michigan

You, gentlemen, are geniuses. Thanks for the great advice!

inchrisin likes this.
  6. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Post back your results if you can. I am pretty damn skinny, so a 1/2bbl to me is almost impossible to lift if all the way full.

7. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

It's going to be lighter now, it is a week old.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe