Keg seems a little light

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by kegeratorman, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kegeratorman

kegeratorman Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2013 Michigan

So I just went out to Dragonmead brewery and picked up a half barrel keg of Final Absolution. I haven't lifted up a half barrel by myself in a few years, but the weight of this keg seemed pretty light to me. I was able to load it into the back seat of my SUV by myself and carrying it to my kegerator seemed unusually easy. Has anyone every had this experience, or heard of kegs not being filled to capacity? This keg was more than $300 at the end of the day and I just want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off here.

Thanks in advance!

2. commis

commis Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

Chill it to near-freezing and then pull it out and let it sit for a minute at room temp. You should see a ring of condensastion indicating the level of liquid.
    Or weight it.

3. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (470) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

The beer in a half should weigh around 130lbs without the barrel.

4. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Hot water down the side of a cold keg will have the same affect. If you pour hot water down the side you'll have hot metal where the keg is empty and cold metal where the keg is full. This works for propane tanks too. ;)

5. kegeratorman

kegeratorman Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2013 Michigan

You, gentlemen, are geniuses. Thanks for the great advice!

inchrisin likes this.
  6. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (971) Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Post back your results if you can. I am pretty damn skinny, so a 1/2bbl to me is almost impossible to lift if all the way full.

7. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (470) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

It's going to be lighter now, it is a week old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.