Kegging question

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by BeerMe2002, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerMe2002

BeerMe2002 Initiate (138) Dec 28, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Need of some help still new to kegging and have a keg that I have been forcecarbing and went to go tap it and nothing is coming out. I checked the picnic tap and that worked, I pushed down the poppit on the liquid line and nothing came out. I'm assuming it has to do with something with the liquid post. Would I be able to release the pressure and switch the post out without issues? Any help would be appreciated.

2. bsjk96

bsjk96 Initiate (17) Jul 27, 2010 New Hampshire

do you have a pressure relief? if so, is there pressure in the keg?

3. peter831

peter831 Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 California

you might have a clog (hops maybe) in the liquid line at the post, sure there are better words for this, but release the pressure, remove the liquid line post, and you will likely see some crud.

if it were under pressure and you pushed in the pin and didnt get drenched with beer, thats my guess,

4. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (454) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Yes. One of the beauties of kegging is you can release the CO2 and add it back. Ideally if it is a simple clog you shouldn't lose all your carbonation, but no real danger if you do. Remember, air (oxygen) is the enemy . . . and like a baby, kegged beer loves to be burbed.

5. MLucky

MLucky Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 California

It's easy to release pressure. Just open the valve on top of the keg. You can remove the post with a socket wrench or channel lock pliers. Pull the dip tube out, and it should be easy to clear any obstruction. Just be aware, while you're doing all this, that you want to avoid exposing the beer to oxygen, and you want to make sure to sanitize your dip tube and post before replacing.

6. billandsuz

billandsuz Aspirant (297) Sep 1, 2004 New York

you are definitely going to get to know the inside of poppet valves. and a dip tube. yours are clogged.

a poppet is a spring loaded stem with a small o-ring seal. hop debris and gunk will get jammed up inside your liquid valve. the dip tube is just that. blow out the valve and tube. clean regularly. don't be surprised if these clog every time you move around the keg.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe