Kellerbier Primer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by meefmoff, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I thought this was a decent read and learned a couple things. The coolest thing was that you can apparently still tour some genuine, old school, kellers (beer cellars) in Franconia. I want to go to there.

https://thetakeout.com/what-is-kellerbier-beer-1835489534

"Joe Stange, the Berlin-based co-author of Good Beer Guide Belgium and a frequent traveler to Franconia, tells me he located the term kellerbier in a German dictionary printed in 1805. The definition specified the beer was not just beer obtained from a person’s own cellar, but from the communal, public keller.

“Especially in Franconia, that was where and still is where you go to get fresh beer. Even now there, the word is interchangeable with beer garden,” he says. “Today there are some breweries, if you get their beer in a bottle, they’d call it helles or lager beer, but if you go to their keller, the same beer is called kellerbier.”

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

3. xKURTx

xKURTx Initiate (27) Jun 3, 2019 Nebraska
    Trader

Me too, and I think that's the mark of a good article like this. I really like Kate's writing and the beer coverage on the Takeout. For those who haven't, check it out: https://thetakeout.com/tag/beer

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,751) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

@meefmoff, you might enjoy watching the below video.

Prost!

5. meefmoff

Trader

Yeah I agree. I like the way she typically presents things as if she's learning along with you rather than simply "telling you".

6. meefmoff

Trader

That was fantastic, thanks! And since I don't see myself getting to Franconia any time soon it will have to serve as my visit for now.

Also, if I lived on the side of a hill I'd totally build one of those.

Junior likes this.
  7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,827) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Cool article. I liked the Shelton Bros. video better (was that Ray from d.b.a.? - looked familiar but I don't know the Shelton Bros.). The real answer here is get your ass to Franconia!

8. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Poo-Bah (1,726) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

This is really cool. I lived in Germany for four and a half years but I was young and not drinking beer yet. :slight_frown:

Junior likes this.
  9. meefmoff

Trader

I feel like there's a joke in here somewhere about toddlers in Germany drinking beer :slight_smile:

10. SSGCujo

SSGCujo Disciple (342) Jul 12, 2016 Wisconsin

Kellerbiers are unfiltered lagers that are found around not only in Franconia, but throughout Bavaria. Most breweries make a Zwickel, or Unfiltered Lager. The only US one that I've had that is any good, is Urban Chestnut, St. Louis. The best imported German Unfiltered Lagers/Kellerbiers are Mahrs and Monschof. The beer is a cloudy, tasty, and low IBU beer. I drank them often in Germany. They're all over Bavaria, it's a common German beer, not so much here.

11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

No toddlers, but I saw a grandma pour 2 small mug-fulls from her Maß of Dunkel and give them to her 9 and 12 year-old grand kids at the Hofbräu München!

WesMantooth, FBarber and meefmoff like this.
  12. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,907) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I've had quite a few in Germany.

One that stood out was a Keller Pils by Rittmayer, while wandering the Kellerwald. The wort saw me taking a picture of the kegs, ask if I wanted to see the Keller, so off we went. Fun experience, even though you had to watch your head and the ceiling.

jonb5 and FBarber like this.
  13. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (686) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

:astonished::thinking_face:?

zid likes this.
  14. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Excuse my autocorrect, the Wirt.

The owner in German.

15. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,798) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

When the wort starts talking to you, it’s time to put down your beer. :slight_smile:

16. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Wort becomes beer once the yeast is added, but is sugar water. I think you know that.

zid and FBarber like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

My wort says: "Pitch me, pitch me!":stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

FBarber likes this.
  18. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (686) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

And all this time I thought it was the yeast that wanted to be pitched. :wink:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

A win-win situation!?!:confused:

Cheers!

20. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

This is a little anecdotal, but I feel like the ones I've had from Franconia are very different from the ones in and around Munich. The Franconian examples have mostly been rich, nutty, and malt-forward. Most have also been khaki colored.
    The ones from near Munich are mostly pale, hoppy, and dry. There are obviously exceptions for both, but that has been my experience overall.

jonb5, JackHorzempa and FBarber like this.
  21. hopfenunmaltz

Society

I agree with this. Exceptions are out there like the Kellerpils I mentioned.

FBarber likes this.
  22. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (140) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

"If you take away only one message from this story, it’s that in terms of the beers you’ll encounter in the U.S., keller bier is unfiltered lager."
    Sounds pretty damn fine to me. Bring it!

23. JackHorzempa

Society

What you are describing here is consistent with the BJCP style guidelines:

“Kellerbier: Pale Kellerbier

A very common seasonal summer beer brewed by many of the Munich area breweries and served in the beer gardens, where they are very popular.”

And,

“Kellerbier: Amber Kellerbier

The original style of Kellerbier from the Franconia area of Germany. A much older style compared to the relatively more recent pale Helles-Style Kellerbier that is popular in the Munich area today.”

Cheers!

Domingo likes this.
  24. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Go figure! Good to know I'm not just imagining things. As far as exceptions go, Spezial's Ungespundetes would be one. A friend of mine that lives nearby even commented that it has gotten drier and paler in recent years. Near Munich, the new'ish Franziskaner example mimicks the ones further north. It's light brown and toasty/nutty. The one-off Andechs example from 2004 was also along those lines. Paulaner's Zwick'l doesn't really resemble either type, although I really liked it.

JackHorzempa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.