Kern River Brewing Co.

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by aquazr1, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (681) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Neat! There were a couple parties at that table. Were you in a party of 2 or 3?

2. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (105) Nov 24, 2009 California
    Trader

Drive safe, folks.

3. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (213) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

It was just my wife and I, sitting on the little bar seating area as you walk up the stairs to the upper seating level.

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  4. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (938) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Dude....we were face to face talking to each other yesterday waiting for the bathroom. I was wearing the Beach City shirt. Lol.

5. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,394) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Hit up Honey Wagon in Tehachapi and try their passion fruit XPA...yes, seriously, Tehachapi. It's the closest I've found on the West Coast that.matches the mouthfeel of the Trillium beers and has that tropical hop profile.

Back on topic, love KRBC. Jealous of those that got some Dirty Hippie and Class X. Loved the growler of Think Tank #7 a friend brought me a week ago. I found Hop Nookie far too boozy when I had it last month, much prefer Notorious or PtY which hide the ABV better. Nevertheless, looking forward to the KRBC expansion, love what they're doing and wish them nothing but success.!

6. dcgunman

Trader

I'm enjoying the Citra(ness) more out this bottle than on draft. Could it be because of the new Citra tulip glassware?

7. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

Citra was delicious. Class X was delicious (it's gone now). I think I like Shuttle Bunny more than Citra though.

8. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (681) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Hah! I always imagined you'd look like the dude from Tangerine Dream for some reason...and that you'd be carrying a sniper rifle. Not sure why. :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad I finally kinda got to meet you. Let's make it more official next time!

dcgunman likes this.
  9. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (500) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

People complaining about a two pint limit on Citra sound like they're wirting a bad Yelp review.

10. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (308) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Damnit. I saw you walking around. I hadn't checked the thread. I was at the high top right by the bar. Wearing the 'orange' Fall IPA Faction shirt. :slight_smile:

Good times! Citra was great. Class X was tasty, a bit thin though, I expected a bit more from it.

Really enjoyed the food, great time, and for me, it was very low key. I'm use to larger crowds though. :stuck_out_tongue:

SoCalBeerIdiot and dcgunman like this.
  11. grze

grze Devotee (495) Apr 17, 2012 Nevada
    Trader

What? I hope that was just for the weekend and it will be back for next weekend.

12. Original_Fake

Maybe. It ran out sometime Saturday night though.

13. dcgunman

Trader

Had a glass around 9pm. So sometime after that. I thought it was a little thin in body. Maybe it was at the bottom?

14. Original_Fake

Yeah it ran out around then. It was thin. It's usually thin. I don't know if they ran it through nitro this time but sometimes they do that.

dcgunman likes this.
  15. aquazr1

aquazr1 Defender (672) Jul 27, 2013 California

They were limiting the amount of Class X being poured each day to make it last, and yes it was served on nitro as always. In my mind this batch of Class X was a bit young. It does better when in the barrel longer and they only keg off a barrel at a time.

16. Original_Fake

That makes sense. I didn't realize they rationed it as well. I thought the flavor was on point this time. Had more of a chocolatey smores quality to it than the last couple of times I've had it.

17. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (158) Jul 12, 2012 California

my theory- because we go and have several pints of citra and other ipas and just completely palate wrecked that the smooth sweet class X tastes like a whole different thing. i agree as a standalone though

18. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (158) Jul 12, 2012 California

i feel so full

19. dcgunman

Trader

...long live the Dream!

20. DRGinLBC

DRGinLBC Initiate (54) Feb 20, 2007 California
    Trader

Was there yesterday at 11am. Class X was still pouring (had a glass). Citra was still flowing as well.

21. Beerrito

Beerrito Initiate (89) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Came back from KRBC yesterday and yes they still had Class X on tap. It wasn't as good as I expected, a bit boozy and thin.

22. Doomsayer52

Doomsayer52 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 California

When I was up there last year, they had Class X on nitro. Is it still on Nitro now?

23. kpacedo

Trader

Every time I've had class x it's been on nitro. I spoke with Eric and he said they had carb problems with it in the past and they choose to go with N2. I would love to have class x with CO2 so it had the mouthfeel of class 5. Think class x really misses chewiness to round it out.

Doomsayer52 likes this.
  24. Beerrito

Beerrito Initiate (89) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I didn't have it on nitro, but I overheard it was being served at one point. It would definitely give Class X that needed boost.

25. Doomsayer52

Doomsayer52 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 California

That was my only complaint about otherwise a pretty great beer. Thanks for clearing that up!

26. kpacedo

Trader

So anyone else been up mid week?

27. badb_rad

badb_rad Initiate (149) Dec 23, 2012 California

As of last night, Class X was still on, TT was off.. Citra tasted awesome to me, never had it before. Really enjoyed the food too.

28. aquazr1

Totally missed the boat on the Class X. As it turns out this is from a 'lost' barrel that is 18 months old. They've been putting 5 gals on tap every day until it's gone. The latest batch of Class X was just recently put in barrels and is 6 months out until release.

29. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Citra in So Cal would be great. How's the expansion and distribution going?

30. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Initiate (62) Jun 19, 2015 California
    Trader

Big thanks to those who recommended the alternate route up to Kern from LA. Beautiful rides and a killer weekend all around.

31. supertech

supertech Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2015 California

Citra is so good, havent had it in about a year. consistancy is doing good i guess

32. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (458) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

So when's the next release? :grinning::grinning::grinning: Did anyone ask Kyle how the expansion will affect the Citra release schedule?

33. dcgunman

Trader

Next release should be sometime in Feb. Last word on when they start brewing in the new brewery is December. That would mean they will be brewing Citra for the Feb release and according to Kyle it will be distro'd to SoCal in Feb. Fingers crossed.

34. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I live out in Riverside, I only see Just Outstanding, Class V, and Sequoia Red, I've never seen Citra, but when I do definitely picking up a few bottles

35. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

Shit, for the last few years JO has been a ghost in L.A. I do remember the days of Citra showing up. Oh, that was fun. People going apeshit for Pliny and just picking off Citra from the shelf with ease.

dcgunman likes this.
  36. dcgunman

Trader

Yes. Looking for elder and finding citra on the shelf at Total. But that didn't last long at all. What I haven't seen at all is Class V. Only on draft at KRBC. I'd always pick up a bottle or 2 when it was available. A great stout at 8.

37. kpacedo

Trader

Dat shuttle bunny doe....

38. aquazr1

From FB:

A Beer Update:

We have a new beer to add to our seasonal selection:
    Moscow Mine Russian Imperial Stout 10.2%, Dirty Hippie will be coming back on tap this Thursday Dec. 10th and the Winter Ale Double IPA will be on tap Saturday Dec. 12th.

Cheers!

dcgunman likes this.
  39. Original_Fake

Winter Ale time. Thank goodness.

dcgunman likes this.
  40. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

mother.of.god.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.