Kern River Citra

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by MrDave, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDave

MrDave Devotee (466) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Just passing along the email I got a bit ago..

[​IMG]

Pumpkin, GABF and yes, Citra
    For all you Citra fans out there, you have to wait. For all you Pumpkin fans, we will be releasing Pumpkin ale later this month. We are planning our annual "tap the pumpkin" party on Sunday, October 20th from 2-6 pm. We'll have pumpkin carving for the little kids, pumpkin beer for the big kids, pumpkin food and, well, a band with no pumpkins involved. Come on out and enjoy.

We will soon begin our annual pilgrimage to the Great American Beer festival in Denver. If you were lucky enough to get tickets, we will be pouring JO, Class V, Single Track, Dirty Hippie and Class X on the floor. We should be at the booth most of the time, so come on by and say hi.

OK, Citra is scheduled to be released on Friday, October 25th. We are doing things very differently this time. First, we will be holding a lottery for the Citra Bottles. To register for the lottery, go to the following link

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/483950

details of the lottery are as follows. You have from Friday, October 4th until Sunday, October 13th to register for the lottery event on Brown Paper Tickets. This is an internet only event, just register and cross your fingers.

From the list of people that register, we will have a random lottery draw to see who will qualify to buy bottles. If you win the lottery, you will be notified by e-mail, then you can go on Brown Paper Tickets to purchase your Citra Bottles (up to 6 bottles). Your e-mail will have all the details, but you must purchase between Sunday, October 20th and Thursday, October 24th.

You must pick up your bottles at the brewery between Friday, October 25th and Sunday, November 3rd.

Please note: only one entry per person into the lottery; you will have to provide a drivers license number and that number will have to match your lottery entry when you come in person to pick up your bottles. No exceptions. You may not have a friend come and pick your bottles up for you and we will not ship or hold bottles. Worse than that, you will not get refunded your money. So Pleeeeeeaaaaasssseee do not register for the lottery event if you will not be able to come to the brewery in person between October 25th and November 3rd.

This is a fairly simple system, so don't try to make it too complicated.

1. register on BPT for your chance to buy Citra (between Oct 4th and Oct 13th)
    2. If you are selected, buy your bottles on BPT (between Oct 20th and Oct 24th)
    3. Come pick up your bottles in person at KRBC (between Oct 25th and Nov 3rd)
    4. Drink fresh and enjoy.

Citra will go on draft on Friday, October 25th and will be served draft only (no growlers) on a first come, first serve basis. It typically lasts about 2 to 3 days, but there are no guarantees on that. There is also an extensive list of rules and regulations on the BPT page, so go ahead and read those too before you contact us with any questions. And no, we won't let your buddy come pick your beer up for you. And no, we won't mail you your beer. And no, there won't be any Citra left over from people not showing up in Kernville since the rules are so clear that nobody would make that mistake after reading all this stuff.
    That's all for now, and good luck in the lottery!
    Cheers,
    The Crew
    Kern River Brewing Co.

2. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

im gonna register whoooooooooooooo yeeeahaaahahahahaahah whooooooo

3. mrcraft

mrcraft Meyvn (1,293) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I didn't attend the release earlier in the year, but read about the missteps, especially the first day. The rules are pretty rigid, if you ask me, but at least it gets rid of all the line cutters and mules.

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/483950

1424IpA likes this.
  4. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Zealot (515) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Urf... seems a very effective way of handling a limited release, but seeing it all laid out like that, I can't help but think "Man, have we really come to this?"

5. dwagner003

dwagner003 Poo-Bah (1,611) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Jesus christ.. We have basically 2 weekends to drive up the Kernville? Seeing how they are located 1,000 miles from butt-fuck nowhere, the pickup window should be a bit larger.

I guess I'm out for this release.

Oh.. ISO..

6. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

This is going to be something awful. They probably needed to put some sort of price on the lotto entry and donate it to charity, although I don't know how BPT works in regards to minimum prices. Going to be a flood of people who will enter this lotto and then not purchase bottles either due to lack of ability or change of plans.

I love it though. As long as nobody steals my winning ticket and never shows up.

7. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (469) Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Seems fair to me!!!
    :^)

8. mentalish

mentalish Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2013 Afghanistan

Nine day window to pick up bottles that are already paid for and guaranteed. Or three day window for MAYBE getting bottles after standing in line since the ass crack of dawn.
    The math is easy to do.

nanobrew, GetMeAnIPA and pmarlowe like this.
  9. mentalish

are you going to double the price you paid when you go to trade it? :) I would.

10. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

Will bottles/draft/growlers of Winter Ale aka 5th Annii. be available at the brewery during the pickup time.

11. analogchainsaw

analogchainsaw Aspirant (233) Nov 21, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'm definitely going to enter the lottery and cross my fingers for the chance to get some bottles. I think this is a better system than the February release earlier this year, but I second the concern that there may be a lot of entries from people that in the end fall through when selected and lower the chance for someone else who would gladly pay for bottles and schlep up to Kern to pick them up.

For a system like this, I think a barrier to entry would help -- maybe a $5 fee to simply enter the lottery. Otherwise, what's to stop anyone from entering, even if they aren't seriously considering paying for or picking up bottles?

I'm sure Kern's probably thought this through however, and any way it goes down, I'm excited for the chance to drink some more Citra.

GetMeAnIPA and Sisky like this.
  12. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (469) Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I wish I could purchase all their allotment just so you wouldn't be able to get any!! :)

13. MrDave

Beer Trader

There were several dicks in the LA area selling the February bottles for $30ea. Pricks.

14. LSUPT

LSUPT Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2011 California

This is my question, too. I'm in for certain if that's the case.

15. jmadrigal2

jmadrigal2 Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

It used to be fun to go to this release but not like this. I have been drinking this beer since the first release when no one cared and it was fun. We had some great bottle shares with the Kern River crew. It's a great beer, good luck to everyone.

16. mentalish

My wife says thanks. ;)

17. kotayk

kotayk Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 California

yes it has ....limited release + neckbeards = BPT lotto

masterhoa likes this.
  18. kotayk

kotayk Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 California

and im sure they all went unsold...

McStagger likes this.
  19. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (526) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'll enter the lotto, but man is this going to be abused by guys getting their brothers, sisters, wife, in-laws and whoever else they can fool into getting their driver's license to register. I hope KRBC has some back up for all those who win the lotto but don't buy their bottles.

I do miss the days when you could show up to the brewery with no line at all and just walk right in and get bottles for hours after. It was a nice drive up. The last release, I had to leave L.A. at 3am to get 50ish in line.

20. Houser

Houser Defender (630) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

21. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (526) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Did you.. somehow not read the thread at all? That's what we're talking about.

GetMeAnIPA, bird22, heatwaves and 2 others like this.
  22. JulianC

JulianC Aspirant (202) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Another 6 bottle limit? Nice, can trade for Midwest shelf turds as usual. </snark>

23. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (511) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

That was exactly what I was thinking. Kind of sad to think I need to go through all of that just to buy a beer. I'd rather just go to the shop and pick out a few great beers.

24. MrDave

Beer Trader

I attended the February release. I gotta say I enjoyed the town, the brewery, and the people as much as I did the beer. Hours from bumfuck is actually pretty rad.

I'm all for this release method, but I'll sit it out; patiently waiting for them to expand.

25. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (257) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Man, some of you will bitch and complain no matter how they approach this. This site really brings the whine.

GetMeAnIPA, bird22, McStagger and 7 others like this.
  26. MrDave

Beer Trader

Cirticism? :eek: BANNED!

Me talking about being banned?!? :eek: BANNED!

CaseyR22 and FrogOut69 like this.
  27. mentalish

I was going to like that. But then I'd be banned because of it.

MrDave likes this.
  28. mentalish

On topic:
    On the outside, it has a ton of flaws. There are going to be people from all over, with no intention of actually buying the beer, only dilute the lottery pool. Some of those people will inevitably be chosen, and the beer not bought. What will become of the bottles that arent paid for? Another drawing? It just creates an endless cycle.
    What should have been done is what LA did for DDG. You buy the beer during the established time, and you have ONE weekend to pick it up. You still draw the crowd to the town, you still sell the beer, and you have a lot less upset people. There will always be someone who gets upset because they didn't get the beer.

29. MrDave

Beer Trader

That sounds like one flaw. I'm sure KRBC will figure something out for that.

30. Xul

Xul Crusader (760) May 18, 2008 California

They'll probably just stick the leftover bottles in the cooler and let locals buy them over the span of a week or two.

31. LaChupacabra

LaChupacabra Initiate (194) Oct 25, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

This soooo much!

Rau71 and MrDave like this.
  32. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

33. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (191) Jun 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah, all you get is a 40 page thread bitchin about hitting refresh for 3 hours and wasting work time.
    In all honesty. It worked out pretty good.

Good_Trader likes this.
  34. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (1,550) Oct 19, 2010 California

They'll probably sell the unclaimed bottles to locals, who are the ones who sustain and support this brewery 350 days a year.

35. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

The real question is: How will 5th Anny be released?

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  36. jamex

jamex Aspirant (244) Feb 13, 2010 California

Since this beer is near impossible for me to get now, are there any decent clones out there that are more easily accessible? Isn't there an El Segundo Citra that is pretty good? Thanks.

37. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Disciple (350) May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Overwhelmed by the harsh cacophony of teeth-gnashing - all that Citra tastiness will be available to all on tap, hopefully throughout the weekend - no lottery needed.

Realistically, the bottles are nothing but small growlers, since capped or not, Citra's fresh taste goes south in 2-3 week tops. Either way - on tap or in bottle - your Citra experience is going to be short-lived. I plan to visit the brewery on release weekend and soak up as much hoppiness as I can. Muy Yum.

38. MrDave

Beer Trader

I just had that for the first time recently and, no, it's not anywhere close. Rather watery if you ask me.

39. Xul

Xul Crusader (760) May 18, 2008 California

Pretty much everyone brews a Citra-centric beer at this point. El Segundo's Citra beer is alright, but not particularly similar to KRBC Citra.

Honestly, and I've said this before, the person using the hops matters more than the hop variety being used. Certain brewers can create phenomenal hoppy beers using damn near any types of hops, while others deliver absolute mediocrity with the popular hop du jour.

jamex likes this.
  40. MrDave

Beer Trader

That's the best way to go about it. Hands down. Load up on pints, and have a laugh will their staff.

taffeys likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More