Kettle sour

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Abk542, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Abk542

Abk542 Initiate (68) Sep 26, 2015 Michigan

Tried my hand at a kettle sour yesterday. I pitched imperial yeast's lacto sour batch kids. Was wondering how long I should let the lacto work before continuing the brew process. I'm aiming for a mildly sour brew nothing crazy, also I have no phone service and I don't really have time to get any just looking for a reference. any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

2. Abk542

Abk542 Initiate (68) Sep 26, 2015 Michigan

pH strips not phone service

3. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Temperature does play a role in how fast the lacto works. What temp are you fermenting this at? I would say 48 hours should provide enough time for it to sour if you pitched a healthy package of lacto. If you don't have strips you can always take a taste and see if it is to your liking, but remember it will seem slightly less sour than it really is because the sweetness from the unfermented wort will be there.

*Note* I also pre acidify my wort to 4-4.3 ph range before hand to try to keep other bacteria from growing while souring. Not sure if that makes the process quicker to reach target acidity, but my guess would be it would. I usually shoot for the really low 3s for ph

#3 TooHopTooHandle, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (778) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

5. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,730) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Can't speak to what you're going to like, but the longer you let it go, to a point, the more sour you have. Maximum sour may get intense for you. At least, I have found that. Therefore, I started using kettle sours for blending, because you can tone down the sour. With that in mind, I recently soured 3 gallons of boiled wort with good belly and let it go three days. I then canned it in half gallon canning jars, and stuck it in my fridge for good measure. Eventually I added half of it to a dry-hopped sour and the other half to a brown ale with cherries. Anyhow, once you start kettle souring, this may be something to experiment with to figure out if it belongs in your tool box.

7. Drel

Drel Aspirant (217) Nov 14, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I used omega lacto blend for a kettle sour about a month ago and was able to get the sour level that I wanted in 48 hours at room temp (pitched at about 110 and just let it sit on the stove covered). If you don't have testing equipment you can just sour to taste. I used a sanitized spoon to taste a bit every 12 hours to see where it was. When it gets to the sour level that you desire , boil the wort to kill the bugs and ferment as usual. I do have a cheapie pH meter that I got on amazon for like $20 that I used when I got to the level I wanted just to double check for future batches but it isn't required.

Also, I know this was posted last week so I am sure you are already soured and fermenting at this point.