Kid friendly spot in SLC?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Effinwill, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Effinwill

Effinwill Initiate (69) Dec 2, 2016 California

We’re coming in next week to watch the Bruins wallop the Utes and looking for a good pre-game spot. Need under 21 flexibility, good food, local beer and TVs for college football. Can you recommend a spot?
    Thanks and cheers!

2. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (188) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

Hey. Not a lot of options that I'm aware of....however, I dont have kids. I know there's a dave and buster's downtown which is close to the stadium...you could probably take tracks from there to. Here's their #
    385 285 7320

I'll do a little research and see if I can find some other spots and maybe someone else will chime in.... Go UTES!

3. Effinwill

Thanks. We were aware of D&B, but hoping we could find something more reflective of the local scene.
    And I’ll often cheer for the Utes but not against my Bruins. I have fond memories of the hurting they put on Bama in the sugar bowl a few years ago.

4. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (134) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

I can't think of a single place that does football + good beer + <21. I hope the Utes obliterate UCLA, though.

5. Effinwill

I’m sure the point spread will be 17+ so that outcome might be likely. We just want to see a competitive team, continued improvement, good attitude despite what happens on the field.
    How about desert edge brewery?

6. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (188) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

I thought about that and Red Rock Brewery. I honestly haven't been in either for years. If your wanting some grub and a beer or 2 sure. I was thinking you were looking for somewhere to hunker down for a few hrs in which case the servers probably want to turn tables as fast as possible.

If you are looking to kill a few hrs, you could maybe start at Redrock, move to squatters then to Desert Edge. Just grab some apps and beers at each spot. The trax station is just a block from Desert Edge.

7. WillemHC

That occurred to me. I do think they may only have one or two TVs, which is why I wasn't thinking it was a great spot for football. It may be one of your best options though. Also, they're a bit of an oldschool spot, but they make fantastic draft-utah-abv-level beer. I especially enjoy their lagers and anything english. Red Rock is solid too, but I think limited on the TV for football front.

8. Effinwill

Thanks guys. We will try a trial run on Friday night when the Bruins play UNLV in basketball. Looking forward to pounding some subtlety nuanced Utah beer!

9. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Poo-Bah (5,093) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Society Trader

Heya... Sorry that I cannot help with any advice on children and beer places in SLC.

That said, I was just down in SLC last weekend. If you get some time away, I very much suggest SaltFire. They only pour their beers from bottles because they are all above 5%, but they were hefty pours and were only $2 per pour... Also, we really liked Kiitos... Same scenario.

Both seemed the most "modern" in terms of what people from outside of Utah probably expect.

I also bought a bunch of 2 Row Brewing bottles, but haven't dug into those yet and you can't try their beers at the brewery, seemingly only sales for off-site enjoyment.

Anyway... FWIW.

10. WillemHC

I'd argue TF Brewing is even more "modern" and, depending on who you talk to, makes the best beer in the state. I guess just another option, but I'd advocate for them possibly over the rest. I think Saltfire would be a close second.

11. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Poo-Bah (5,093) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Society Trader

Don't doubt it. They seemed pretty cool too, I had all their draft beers and got some cans to go, but haven't opened them yet.

It bugs me sometimes that folks don't really realize there is a pretty impressive brewing scene in SLC. Many of the breweries made 4% beer for a long time, and they had to do good work to eek out good flavor and aromas from that 4%. Most older stalwarts make great beers. Bohemian brews standout German style beers IMO.

#11 JohnGalt1, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 7:17 PM
  12. WillemHC

I totally agree. My perspective is limited, but it seems you learn a lot being forced to make low-alcohol beers. There isn't much to mask mistakes. I only had a short stint as a home brewer but I had a lot more trouble with the english mild ales I would brew than any other higher-abv beers.

On another note, LETS GO UTES!!!