Knee Deep BA Tanilla

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Johnnyramirez, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 California

Does anyone in the East Bay (Dublin,Livermore, Pleasanton preferred) know where I can get some? I got 1 bottle for a trade partner and am looking for another hopefully.

2. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (213) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Did you try it? I thought it was very disappointing.

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  3. BlakeSmith

BlakeSmith Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 California

The best thing about trading anything Knee Deep, is you are surely getting something better in return.

4. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2011 California

Wow. People love to crush Knee Deep in this forum.

flexabull likes this.
  5. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 California

Yes, I found it very disappointing and told my trade partner. He still asked for multiples as he liked Imperial Tanilla

6. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

Yeah, it started with the fact that they came onto the scene blazing with their $10 bombers of IPA and pale. Pretty expensive for a contract brewer without any history, especially compared to the price of Lagunitas and other locals. Then they somehow paid off The Bistro's judges at the DIPA festival two years ago so they could win with Hoptologist, a bitter mess that should belong nowhere near the podium at a festival.

Simtra is solid, but I think its flaws are covered by its alcohol (like many other high ABV brews.) The rest of the stuff is average, but has a premium price point, which drives me nuts.

LegalBrew87 and flexabull like this.
  7. drgarage

drgarage Disciple (393) Aug 19, 2008 California

They definitely do. And they have, in some cases, earned it! Though I've enjoyed a few of their hoppy offerings, they're nothing special, and everything in the Tanilla family has been absolutely disgusting, among the grossest dark beers I've ever tasted.

xgeneralzodx likes this.
  8. abecall98

abecall98 Devotee (420) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

Both the barrel aged beers they make are underwhelming. Oh, and they charge a lot too.

xgeneralzodx likes this.
  9. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (583) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

I've been saying that they need to make more non-hoppy beers... maybe I was wrong.

10. AptosBeerDrinker

I understand why people are underwhelmed by them as I'm one of these people. I'd rather just silently vote with my wallet than get on here and talk shit anonymously.

Bottom line is that they're trying to the best of their abilities, some people like them and I couldn't do any better.

xgeneralzodx and jtmartino like this.
  11. jtmartino

If people didn't talk shit on here, there'd be nothing to talk about!

12. AptosBeerDrinker

Fair enough.

13. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2012 California

I really like their IPAsm however BA Imperialla Tanilla was EXTREMELY disappointing. Just a bad beer all around. I know they had a bunch of them at Ledgers in Berkeley last time I was there, but it's been a while.

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (748) Mar 19, 2012 California

Not Easy Bay, but in the South Bay you can find them at BevMo...

15. robL

robL Initiate (137) Oct 22, 2010 California

Citra has always satisfied me, though I think it's their cheapest offering. Everything else though (including BA Tanilla) has made me rage. RAAAAAGGGEEEE!

16. theconductor

theconductor Initiate (111) Nov 4, 2008 California

Did he pay them off this year too?

17. jtmartino

I don't think so, since Societe took first followed by Firestone and Russian River.

Although, placing third in the TIPA category with Simtra is questionable...:wink:

theconductor likes this.
  18. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,688) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

LOL!!!

I'd still only give him one and tell him to try it and if he wants more you'll track it down. I'm not gambling another $15 on a barrel aged beer from them after the disaster that was their stout. You're honestly doing him a disservice if he doesn't like it and is stuck with multiples of a beer that definitely won't get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.