Kolsch Shelf Life

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by AMW, Apr 21, 2017.

1. AMW

AMW Initiate (167) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not a cellaring question, but this forum may have the best input.

Local brewer has a Kolsch style I enjoy that is seasonal. Thinking about buying a case to keep in the basement to enjoy over the next 3-4 months. Will it hold up? It's a bit on the hoppier side as far as Kolsches go, so I know that'll drop off a bit.

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,192) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

If you want to preserve freshness of any beer, refrigeration is better than "basement" storage. 3-4 months is pretty much under or around the standard "shelf life" period of many US brewers, macro and craft --- but results vary, of course.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  3. youradhere

youradhere Devotee (484) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Agreed.

The beers flavor will change- how much and to what is not yet known- so you should be prepared for that. I would imagine it might get a touch maltier, of course this is going off my experience having 6 month old Big Sky Summer Honey.

If you don't have a garage fridge, I would say this is a good reason to hit up Craigslist/OfferUp and find a reasonable fridge for ~$80. Or if the brewery kegs this kolsch, go that route and drink off that for a while.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe