Kona Brewing Big Kahuna Summer Pack

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JasonJYoung, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (106) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Some may scoff, but I picked up the Kona Brewing Summer Variety pack at Costco over weekend and quite pleased with all four offerings:

Priced $24 for the case at Costco. Less than 5 weeks old. Not bad at all!

Almost went with the New Belgium Summer Folly canned variety with Heavy Melon Watermelon, Citradel Tangerine IPA, Blue Paddle Pilsner, & Fat Tire Amber Ale ($24).

Other new stuff was Red Hook Summer Variety Pack, Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America & High Altitude 4-Pack (as mentioned in other thread).

#1 JasonJYoung, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Andy1010 likes this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,688) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I believe those are all main line beers for them. Only one I'm not familiar with is the red. Brewed on the mainland (in Inbevs LA facility, IIRC). Solid enough brews for a buck each.

3. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,428) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

Golden ales aren't a "sexy" style, but I really like Big Wave. I crushed a few bombers of it by the pool/beach while I was in Hawaii a couple years ago.

Hoos78 likes this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,090) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The CBA brands are typically brewed at their own breweries ( OR, WA, HI & NH) and at City's Memphis brewery.
    [​IMG]
    Don't think I ever recall seeing any brewed at AB facilities.

Schnapsidee, CGuil220, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  5. JasonJYoung

Trader

I was really surprised with the Lavaman. Reminded me a little of a brown ale with chocolate undertones. No complaints here.

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,688) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

What brewery would they use in PDX, Widmer? For some reason I thought some of the CBA beers were brewed in ABI plants.

7. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,897) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

Lavaman was OK.

Mostly it is just really easy to drink, not particularly special.

8. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

I don't think I've had that Lavaman, might have to grab this mix 12er to try it.

9. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (146) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

KING KONA!

nick0417 likes this.
  10. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (284) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Big Wave is really nice. Hell, better than really nice. There are loads of threads on here about easy drinkin' beers for summer. Big Wave fits the bill nearly perfectly.

11. JaefromLA

JaefromLA Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 California

Big Wave is the best. It tastes a little like lychee to me sometimes. Great easy drinking beer.

12. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,617) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Solid beers across the board, and for the price not bad.

13. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (450) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Looks a lot like the regular variety pack I've seen around, except with the Fire Rock pale ale swapped out for a new(?) one. I remember the pale ale being my least favorite of the bunch the last time I had one of those packs, while I really liked the others (Big Wave really surprised me with how good it was -- definitely glad to see some positive words on that one in this thread), so I'd definitely give this one a try if I saw them around.

(Well, the 12-pack version anyway, since I don't have a Costco or anywhere else that sells mixed 24 packs like this anywhere nearby.)

14. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (644) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Most likely. The CBA distributes through ABI, but they brew their own beer.

jesskidden likes this.
  15. jesskidden

Society Trader

Likely, as that is currently their biggest brewery (expanding to 750k bbl/yr) - I imagine that, like most multi-brewery companies, their date/bottling code includes a way to determine the actual brewery.

beertunes likes this.
  16. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

Kona is great. I don't care who owns it, if it's a good beer drink it! Well worth $24 enjoy!

17. CGuil220

CGuil220 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 New Hampshire

They're also all brewed at Redhook in Portsmouth, NH

18. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (223) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Been to Kona's brewpub on the Big Island several times and everything I had from there was decent to fantastic. Gained a much bigger appreciation for them on that trip and never get too upset if I get a can of Longboard at a bar. They may not make sexy beer, but it is solid beer.

19. JasonJYoung

Trader

@sefus12 or anyone, have you been to Maui Brewing? If so, how was it? Also had no idea that Longboard was canned. I really hope to see Kona canned here in the States.

Speaking on these type of breweries being owned/ bought by bigger corporations; I've witnessed this with the Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville WA. Honestly, very little changed with Red Hook besides tweaks to various processes and distribution. Most, if not all the employees continued brewing the same recipes with same ingredients (minor tweaks here and there). Sure, they immediately had access to resources that enabled quicker and sometimes cheaper raw materials.

The point is, once the reality sat in with places like Red Hook, Elysian, Kona, etc......... what really changed? As mentioned, I dont care who owns or brews squat! If it's good with some flavor profile, I'm all in. Especially when you're able to grab a case for $24 that is shareable with family, friends, neighbor's, and/or co-workers. In turn, maybe you're able to expose many of these people to a new style of beer at a reasonable price. Thus, the consumer base continues to grow, as does the industry. Not everything needs to be a $15+ six-pack that attacks your sense's with exoctic ingredients and cool artwork.

20. Schnapsidee

Schnapsidee Initiate (123) Apr 23, 2009 Oregon

Yes - the Widmer Facility brews both Redhook and Kona beers at one point or another.

21. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (644) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

FWIW, Red Hook wasn't bought out or owned by AB-InBev, as is often stated around here. Red Hook, Widmer, and Kona are part of the Craft Beer Alliance (CBA). CBA is a publicly traded company and AB-InBev is a non-voting, minority stock holder (~32%, I think). For many years CBA has had agreements with AB-InBev to distribute their beer nationally on AB-InBev distribution network, which I'm sure has benefited both of them. Obviously, CBA and it's brewers are not wholly independent, but they are not owned AB-InBev either. I'm not trying to argue over or defend CBA, just stating facts.

I won't turn up my nose at Kona, Red Hook, or Widmer beers, though. Of the CBA's brewers I think Kona is makes the most interesting beers; although I might be biased by fond memories of drinking Kona beers and visiting the Kona brewery on my honeymoon. :slight_smile:

beertunes likes this.
  22. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,988) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just got back from a Hawaii vacation, and yes I visited the Maui Brewing brewery. They had over 20 beers on tap, and all of the brewery-only beers I sampled were high quality, better than their flagship beers. That was the same with the brewery-only beers at Kona too.

Most restaurants we visited on Maui and the Big Island typically only had 2 or 3 of each brewery's flagship beers, like Longboard Lager, Big Wave Golden, and Fire Rock Pale from Kona and Bikini Blonde, Big Swell IPA, and Coconut Porter from Maui. I wished I would have had the chance to drink more of the limited release stuff outside of the breweries.

Overall I would rank the Hawaii breweries I drank this way:

Big Island Brewhaus > Maui > Kona > Kohola > Hawaii Nui

JasonJYoung likes this.
  23. IceAce

IceAce Savant (922) Jan 8, 2004 California

Gotta concur with Jess on this one. The ABI Los Angeles brewery is virtually 100% Bud & Bud Light and isn't set up for ales.

ABI produces ales in Baldwinsville, Fort Collins and Fairfield if I recall correctly.

beertunes likes this.
  24. jesskidden

Society Trader

25. IceAce

Yeah...it's a separate facility built on the grounds of the former Busch Gardens. I always forget about that!

26. jesskidden

Society Trader

Hey, no problem - AB themselves used to forget it themselves...until higher authorities stepped in.:wink:

Really - a separate facility? Not in AB's 1950s era LA brewery in Van Nuys?

27. IceAce

#27 IceAce, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    beertunes likes this.
  28. jesskidden

Society Trader

Oh, damn - I was thinking of the original California Busch Gardens in Pasadena.
    [​IMG]
    Hey, it's been over.... damn...40 years since I lived out there. Next thing you're gonna tell me is
    that Lucky Lager and Burgie aren't the best selling beers out there anymore...

beertunes and IceAce like this.
  29. JasonJYoung

Trader

Wow, jealous indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.