Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice 2012

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by liamt07, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I love you guys!

2. jacob4999

jacob4999 Dec 9, 2008 Michigan

Dude, party wise this was amazing! Either we were pounding good ass beers, meeting and hanging with good people or watching them crazy glass blowers do their thing...it was an awesome time.

3. jacob4999

Wish I could have met you mo fo...I got too messed up and went wondering...lol

4. mike409

mike409 Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

i thought the bottle sales were light years ahead of last year. had a great time for the short period i was there and got all the bottles i wanted.

5. BeRanger

BeRanger Dec 11, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I had a great time, I wasn't looking to get my beer and dash so I didnt mind waiting for it.
    I broke down and got a Snifter made, it looks pretty friggen sick.
    I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow or Sunday.

BBBW was hard to stop drinking.

6. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Doesn't matter, still love ya... Unless you were the dude that cut in front of us early in the morning.

7. jacob4999

Definitely not me as I got there at 1...probably that dude in the Blackhawks jersey.

Bay01 likes this.
  8. SteelersX

SteelersX Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

All glassware gone
    The plastic cups just came out

JohnB87 likes this.
  9. jacob4999

For anyone in the know they were filling full plastic cups of DRIPA in the glassblower tent for $6.00. It kicked ass.

10. emilyLOVESlime

emilyLOVESlime Mar 19, 2009 California

Hey peeps. Anybody know what the hours are for the second half of the party (tomorrow)? A million things to do and trying to figure out the schedule :) Thanks!

11. JohnB87

JohnB87 Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

You would.

12. TheMonk41

TheMonk41 Dec 9, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Actually some talk dick in a Tigers hoody ... With ZERO concious.

steebo777 likes this.
  13. cetherid

cetherid Aug 23, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Can't believe BBBW still on tap. Probably my fourth or fifth glass.

14. raymo55

raymo55 Oct 3, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I had 5 pours of BBBW as well....love it!

Had a great time as always...and loved seeing all the great people that I have met throughout the years at these....plus meeting a few new ones. Kuhnhenn did a great job.

Now............back to the internet where we can all complain about shitshows and talk smack behind each others avatars!

15. Corbet

Corbet Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Did anything else sell out tonight?

16. JohnB87

Still waiting in line....

17. jacob4999

Hey! I resemble that remark! Lol

And that was a joke...the dude in the Griswold jersey was cool as hell.

18. tommyz

tommyz May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Was seriously an awesome time! Had a BBBW, a BA Solar Eclipse, and a 4D..The glass blowing was cool as hell..And just a hint to you people..You can talk down the price of the pre made blown glasses..I got a serious discount on a sweet blown glass mug..

I did meet someone from here, but I forgot your name..Sorry..Cool dude..And so many great people there having a good time talking with everyone..

19. sarro

sarro May 12, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Jale's fault!

Urbancaver, Jakers90 and Photekut like this.
  20. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Any pics of the blown glass? Sounds awesome. :)

Wish I could have made it. But I would have missed out on the BB4D. But news of more bottling in a couple weeks makes me happy. ;)

cosmicevan likes this.
  21. tommyz

Beer Trader

Ill post a pic of mine when I get home from work, but they are made by the glass academy in Dearborn..Here is a pic of what some would look like. They do tulips and whatever btw

[​IMG]

22. CityofBals

CityofBals Sep 12, 2012 Illinois

I wonder where those glass marbles were perfected... Looks sick!

23. beertasterb

beertasterb Mar 1, 2010 Michigan

Who is heading up today i'll be there around noon ish

24. jale

jale Oct 17, 2009 Michigan

Yea we drank the shit out of Bourbon Solar. It was amazing.

Urbancaver and MrTibbs25 like this.
  25. tommyz

Beer Trader

No Clue, those are way nicer than mine. (way more expensive too) Those ones run about $100

26. jale

jale Oct 17, 2009 Michigan

Was simply awesome spending time during the holidays with so many of my great friends.Thanks, to all of you!

raymo55 likes this.
  27. Marti403

Marti403 Jul 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I knew how good BBBW was, had no idea how good BB Solar was going to be.

jacob4999 likes this.
  28. sarcastro

sarcastro Sep 20, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Definitely wasn't my fault. It is not my kind of beer.

29. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Jun 4, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

30. landrewg

landrewg Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I've gone to 3 great parties in the last month or so: Founders 15th, 4 Elf and Solstice. How lucky am I to live within easy driving distance (2, 1-1/2 and 1 hours away) of all three! All a great time but the best, IMHO, was Founders because there was no bottle release.
    1. Founders--CBS and the FBS Allstars
    2. Dark Horse--awesome tap list
    3.Kuhnhenn--great tap list but no BB4D

31. dblab33

dblab33 Dec 9, 2011 Michigan

Yes... an awesome beer advocating guy right there. He and his lady friend that cut have even been to one of our tastings in the recent past (was at northernbrews dads place). He decides not only is it okay to cut in front of a bunch of other guys that were at said tasting, but actually does nothing but run his mouth when called out. I am the asshole that will say something to line jumpers instead of just bitching about it to friends or on BA the next day, especially when it is that blatant and happening right in front of my face.

Gotta love the beer community, can't even respect the people they have met and shared beers with. Super cool for sure.

iceatalamo, steebo777 and raymo55 like this.
  32. JohnB87

Wow.

33. dblab33

Side note (to which those standing near us can attest to): the excuse was that he just wanted to hang out in line with his friends. We had multiple friends come up by us when they arrived and chatted for a few minutes before proceeding to the back of the fucking line like they are supposed to. People got shut out on beers yesterday, but our line jumping buddy noted above certainly did not. Can't wait to see if he's invited to future tastings.

34. travMI13

travMI13 Jan 7, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I didn't go to this solely for the bottle release; I definitely went into it with the party first mentality. However, to say that them not making enough BB4D was disappointing would be a gross understatement. I was more than a little surprised that they made so much less than last year. Last year: 24 bottle limit, and it lasted the whole time and even into the spring. This year: 12 bottle limit, and it lasts to ticket number 90. That situation made very little sense. However, it is great to hear that they will have more.

That temporary disappointment aside, what a great party. The taplist was absolutely killer. BBBW on tap all day was ridiculous, and of course having BB Solar on for most of the day was awesome, too. The glass-blowing tent was incredibly sweet. If I wasn't such a brewery glassware hoarder, I probably would have popped the money for a tulip or snifter. It was great to see everyone and hang out, drinking incredible brews.

Also, the Kuhnhenns deserve major kudos for this. My buddy and I had to leave before our orders were ready, and they told us they would give us a call and hold the orders until some point over the weekend. That's solid customer service, I think. So, at some point today or tomorrow, I'll head back and pick up my bottles and probably grab some wines for the wife.

Did anyone crack either of the port pyments yet? I missed chocolate raspberry, but I am very hopeful I'll end up with a chocolate orange when I go grab my stuff. They both sounded fantastic.

MarkIntihar and RyanMM like this.
  35. mrebeka

mrebeka Dec 13, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Thinking about making the trek for some bottles. Any BA solar eclipse or pyments left?

36. jacob4999

Oh damn...I must have misunderstood monk41 comment. I was wearing a tigers hoodie but it definitely wasn't me that cut in line.

37. mrebeka

mrebeka Dec 13, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Sorry for getting in the middle of a conversation, but does anyone know if there is BA Solar Eclipse or any pyment bottles left. Thinking about driving out, but I'm about an hour outside of warren. Thanks!

38. RyanMM

RyanMM Mar 12, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Was he the newbie that ruined one of the summer tastings by doing big pours?

39. dblab33

No it wasn't Ian nor was it you ;)

He went to the October tasting. His girl got so hammered that she was passing out at the table. Fun times.

raymo55 likes this.
  40. RyanMM

RyanMM Mar 12, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Hah. I heard about someone getting shitfaced at the June or July one but I can't remember much more than that.

I know it wasn't me because I wasn't there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe