Labatt Breweries acquires Calgary's Banded Peak Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Coronaeus, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,001) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,368) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

From the link:

“The growth of craft beer in Alberta is actually outpacing the growth we’ve seen in the rest of Canada,” said Rob Legate of Labatt in the same report.

I wonder why Alberta is 'different' from the rest of Canada as regards craft beer growth?

Cheers!

P.S. I can anecdotally report that craft beer growth in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick is robust. Last summer in one craft brewery I thumbed through the book East Coast Crafted which details craft beer in Atlantic Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...tic-canada-microbreweries-book-beer-1.4400538

3. Coronaeus

Trader

I noticed that line too.

I think a lot of it can be attributed to Alberta being a little behind places like BC, Quebec and Ontario in terms of the explosion of breweries we’ve seen here the past 10 years or so. In 2010 there were a couple long standing ones like Wild Rose, Alley Kat, Big Rock, but not much more. It is really only in the last 4 or 5 years that you are seeing the rapid growth. It does seem like every second brewery announced on the linked website is from Alberta or the Maritime provinces. There has certainly been more room in the market there for new entrants than in other parts of the country that had a more established craft brewery community.

More government programs that assist opening businesses like craft breweries are in place now as well. It is much easier to open a brewery in Canada today than it was 10 years ago, or so I’ve been told by those in the know.

4. JackHorzempa

Society

That would make sense from a growth rate perspective.

Cheers!

5. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (225) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm just guessing and have no data to support this but it is close to the pacific northwest. I would call that the most mature beer marker in the US considering brewery ratio to population, plus its basically where US craft started. Maybe that has something to do with it? Just guessing though...

6. Coronaeus

Trader

Coupled with the fact that Alberta has long had the best import selection from the States available in the country, that may be a contributing factor. That said, being so close to such a mature market, you’d think Alberta would have developed faster.

7. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,167) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I may be way off base but isn't Alberta one of the least densely populated provinces (along with Manitoba)? My image of its landscape is comparable to the Dakotas or Kansas on the US, lots of.massive farms with not so many people. Certainly its much.more sparse.than BC or Ontario or Quebec, so that probably plays a role in its relative lag (farmers aren't generally regarded as the most adventurous demographic of.consumers)

8. Coronaeus

Trader

You are likely thinking of Saskatchewan. Alberta is the fourth most populous province in the country and gaining on third place BC. It has two good sized cities in Calgary and Edmonton. There is lots of farming, but it is also the heart of the energy industry (oil and gas). It is Canada’s Texas, in terms of industry, politics and in many ways, culture.

9. JackHorzempa

Society

And cowboys too. Don’t forget about the Calgary Stampede – advertised as the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth!

And since Texas was mentioned, there are plenty of craft brewed beers (including lagers) in the Hill Country of Texas. Plenty of brands of high quality beer to drink.

Oh, and Wurstfest in New Braunfels (the rival of the Calgary Stampede in terms of attendance?). A mixture of Cowboy hats and lederhosen at this event.

https://wurstfest.com/

Cheers

Coronaeus likes this.
  10. BSRicky

BSRicky Initiate (26) Jul 4, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

The lag was because it was not possible to open a brewery designed for less than 10 000hl per year until 2014 (well, the legislation changed in Dec 2013). And the fact that BC QC and ON could handily flood the open market made for a strong competition curve. That said the competition curve drove a steep quality curve as the market wouldn't stand for as long of a learning period for people to put out good liquid

Ranbot, sharpski, Coronaeus and 2 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Good 'reminder' here. When it comes to the alcoholic beverage industry it is often Government which heavily influences things (a highly regulated industry).

Cheers!

dukeandduke likes this.
  12. Coronaeus

Trader