Lacing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Nutwood, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutwood

Nutwood Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2012 Kentucky

Is it usual for lacing to dry into a sticky crust on the glass? I had an Ommegang BPA on tap yesterday, a 22 ounce pour in a mug. I was about 3/4 done with it when I noticed that the lacing was still on the glass, top-to-bottom, on the side I had not been drinking from. For some reason I rubbed my finger across it and it was dried on. I never noticed this happening before.

2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

3. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

Yes, I actually desire it. For example, the last time I drank a Torpedo from my tulip glass, I held the empty glass up to the light and just admired the beauty of it. The sticky, resinous lacing left rings all down the inside of the glass with each drink. I could tell "hey, that is where I took a sip" and "there's where I took a strong pull." It was sort of like a written record of some event that occured somewhere in time, but instead of being carved in stone, it was etched on the inside of my glass :slight_smile:.

4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Completely normal.

5. Nutwood

Ok, figured it was probably normal, I wonder why some beers do this and others don't.

6. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Some do, some don't because of the ingredients that are used and how they are used. For example, wheat beers produce large heads and some brewers will add wheat to a receipe to ensure they get a nice one. The amounts of hops used has an effect on the nature of the head which is why IPAs tend to have lasting sticky heads. The ABV of the beer has an effect on the head.

Edit: Also how you pour the beer and the cleanliness of the glass can have an effect on the head. You might consider buying a copy of Randy Mosher's "Tasting Beer," to read about some of this and many other interesting topics.

7. Nutwood

Been reading up, this will be next.

8. seplo

seplo Pundit (923) Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut

hell yeah thats normal, i love it that way, nothing better than a great beer that laces like that...CHEERS

9. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

This...though I would give the edge to celebration for lacing. Usually get the best lacing from this from any beer I can think of. Resin from 6point also leaves a good amount of thick lacing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.