Lagunitas 2019 Willettized Coffee Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by JBogan, Oct 15, 2019.

1. JBogan

JBogan Champion (834) Jul 15, 2007 California

Forgive me if this was covered already, but I was just nosing around the Lagunitas website and saw a posting for the 2019 Willettized Coffee Stout. It's due out next month, but the best part is that it will be available in 12 oz 4 packs. After passing on last year's version I'll definitely be giving the 2019 one a try. https://lagunitas.com/beer/willett

2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (605) Mar 28, 2009 California

4 packs are better than 22oz bottles only but i’ll Still miss those six packs.

chrismattlin, Gemini6, A2HB and 11 others like this.
  3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,787) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

On my watchlist, but don't hold out much hope it will make it down to Houston. They have not been to diligent about getting out new releases here. Saw Hazy Memory is out and only 3 places around have it and it is all on tap

ilikebeer03, alert and JBogan like this.
  4. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,341) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

The six packs were a hell of a deal - I got mine for $12.99

Anyone know the price point on the 4 packs?

A2HB, benzodrums and JBogan like this.
  5. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (717) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I need this one back in my life.....

Passed on the bomber format last year.

Great brew.

T-RO, mltobin and JBogan like this.
  6. waltari

waltari Initiate (67) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Is it the first time they release something in a 4pk format?

JBogan likes this.
  7. JBogan

That's a great question. It's certainly the first one that I know of.

chrismattlin and A2HB like this.
  8. JBogan

Yeah, at $12.99 a sixer I was telling everybody that I knew who drank beer to go grab it while you can. If I had to guess I'd wager that the 4 pack will probably be around the same price point. Inflation you know ...

kingsleyr, alucard6679 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,787) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I wouldn't shun a $13 4 pack of BA stout if it was good. Will miss the six, but I just refuse to buy bombers of BA beer anymore

10. DokiDokiLitFam

DokiDokiLitFam Initiate (162) Jun 3, 2019 New Jersey

If Founders released the Underground Mountain Brown in a bomber only format, I don't think it would have gained that traction as quickly as it did. I'm all for the 4 or 6 packs. Easier to split with friends and share.

Junior, Gemini6, officerbill and 4 others like this.
  11. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (725) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I grabbed a 22oz bottle this summer that was a year old and it was great. $8.49.

I’m in for some 4 packs.

My original case of HI-West 6 packs was less than $44 with tax. I did pay almost $100 for the original bomber release, it was the best release of all.

Enjoy

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (459) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I’m hoping this is a nice release

chrismattlin and deadwolfbones like this.
  13. Frostedmug

Frostedmug Initiate (30) Jun 24, 2016 Wisconsin

I can’t wait. I wouldn’t say this about any other brewery but I bet the price drops going from a six pack to four pack. Lagunitas pricing is incredible. I still think Waldos should be released twice a year.

AWA and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  14. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,086) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Will definitely be picking this up and I'm with @Frostedmug in guessing that the price/oz won't be higher in 4 packs vs 6 packs

15. AWA

AWA Aspirant (263) Jul 22, 2014 California

It would surprise me if it was. I'm in for a case.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  16. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Initiate (119) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio

I still have never seen this beer on the shelf here. Not once. Oh well, my white whale. Call me Ishmael.

Junior and Steve_Studnuts like this.
  17. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (167) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

If they try to even come close to the 6-pack pricing, I could see this being $9.99. If it's much more I'll probably only buy 1 pack this year. The 6-pack was one of the best deals I've ever seen so it's hard to go back to paying the same as every other BA shelf beer.

18. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (800) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Id expect $13-15 for the 4 pack considering that it still sold out when the $10 bombers were out last year. Even at that price it's still a great buy.

tobelerone likes this.
  19. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (183) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Is there a better value than this stout at the bomber, 4 pack, or 6 pack sku ? The only comparable one I can think of is Sunday Morning Stout by Weybacher and I don't think they are making SMS this year. I am currently enjoying a KBS as a treat, but plan to make Williettized a more regular drinker if it stays affordable.

20. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (335) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

They aren't. They made a salted pretzel variant that only a sainted few ever got hands on. I keep seeing last year's SMS popping up on shelves, though, and keep buying it. I swear I must be the only person in Erie county who drinks the stuff.

On topic: Really hoping to see Willetized this year. Missed it the last two.

micada and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  21. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (552) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Never saw the six packs, but I scooped up an armful of bombers for $5.99 at my military base exchange.

Junior likes this.
  22. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,085) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Funny. I just happen to come across a bunch of 2018 bombers at the store today. I almost picked one up but decided against it. I spend too much on beer anyway.

Junior and Gemini6 like this.
  23. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (605) Mar 28, 2009 California

Don’t we all?

24. micada

micada Aspirant (259) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

Damn, I saw Erie County and got excited that it’s around...problem is, my Erie County is not your Erie County!

officerbill likes this.
  25. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (459) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Will the real Erie county please stand up? JK obviously the PA one is OG

Gemini6 and micada like this.
  26. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (577) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Read this thread the other night and thought, hmm...pretty sure I've got a 2017 bottle leftover in my ridiculous beer cellar (ahem, hobby) somewhere. And I did. And I just finished it. Although the coffee has long faded, obviously, this was a delicious rye barrel aged stout. Surprisingly creamy. Rye spiced has toned down quite a bit. Makes me want a 4 pack when this comes out again. I'm going Central Waters-esque pricing at $14.99. Which I'll take all day long. The $11.99 per 6er paid for High-Westified in 2016 was nuts, and don't expect that again.

27. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (800) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

A "higher up" at lagunitas told me he was sure they were losing money on the High West 6-packs at the time. So yeah, agreed, $15 4-pack should be expected.

Also, I hear BBA Narhwal will be out in cans this winter... :grin:

28. micada

micada Aspirant (259) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

Uh, that kid has a beer box on his head...

That’s f*cking fantastic!

chrismattlin likes this.
  29. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (125) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I'm still sitting on about a case of these at my shop lol I don't even tell customers about it, they just see the box and ask if it's really real.

30. scream

scream Meyvn (1,156) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Just got email from local store that this has arrived and put aside for me ! Woot !!

Reportedly $11.99 !!

31. adrock314

adrock314 Crusader (720) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

That black label is gorgeous

RacerX5k and JBogan like this.
  32. JBogan

Good to hear that it's starting to hit the shelves. I'm not seeing it listed yet on the beer finder on the Lagunitas website, but I imagine that will change soon if it's out there in the wild now. Can't wait to give this beer a try.

RacerX5k likes this.
  33. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

That is fantastic news, the 12oz format rocks, so glad they saw the light from last years mess.
    Cheers

RacerX5k and JBogan like this.
  34. Crumps_Brother

Crumps_Brother Initiate (64) Jun 24, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

unfortunate that they're sold in 4 pack format now

the price on the 6 pack was one of those rare cases where it seemed too good to be true but wasn't

GreenBayBA and RacerX5k like this.
  35. JBogan

The 12 Oz 4 pack option is still an improvement over last year's option though.

36. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (577) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

This. And no mason jar glasses to boot!

GetMeAnIPA, RacerX5k and JBogan like this.
  37. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (266) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Just a reminder that you can buy 3+ cases of this beer for the same price as a bottle of Sam Adams Utopia.

Junior, VABA, GreenBayBA and 5 others like this.
  38. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (441) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Just bought a couple 4 packs in NorCal, they’re 11.99.

39. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (362) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Of course. I can't wait, but my experience has been the 2015 High Westified bombers is my, deservedly so, #5 all time beer. Went thru many cases at $100 - $110 a case, coffee, rye, chocolate bomb. Then the next year, 1/2 the price.12 oz 6 packs, but, more importantly, 1/2 the quality. Then did the 12 oz Willetized come out in 2017? I could be wrong, but again, 1/2 the price, 1/2 the quality. Average at best. Then last year, my birthday weekend (early December) the 2018 Willetized bombers came out, instantly became my #7 all time. See, Lagunitas has always impressed me as an very smart brewery / company, smart enough to realize when their barrel aging didn't go as planned, so release the beer in 12 oz at 1/2 the price. I mean, think about it? Why else would the 12 oz be 1/2 the price? Because, that's what it's worth, I would gladly pay, and have, $10 a bomber for my all time #5 and #7 beers.

On a side note, I've had Victory at Sea High Westified. Must be some amazing barrels, as I don't even like regular Victory at Sea. I gotta try their bourbon someday, but it is very expensive ... On that note, my all time favorite beer is aged in Virginia Gentleman barrels, and that bourbon actually stinks, so you never know ... that's what I've loved about craft, 10+ years now ... yes I'm no expert.

#39 RacerX5k, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  40. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (362) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Last year's mess? Yes, the beer didn't last long being an absolute coffee bomb, but, easily, and by far, my #7 all time beer. It was amazing ... oh my. Just my opinion, to which we are all entitled. I very much prefer the high quality bombers over the 12 oz format, every time,. At least with 2015 High Westified, and 2018 Willetized. Lagunitas knows what they're doing, my all time list consists of Lagunitas and Founders, and, of course, Goose Island back in the day when they knew what they were doing, circa 2012 - 2013.

What I love about craft, is the IN consistency of it all. It's been an helluva ride, for all us. And if I don't kill my keyboard tonight, it will be a miracle ... lmao.

#40 RacerX5k, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Txex06 and scream like this.