Lagunitas - Born Yesterday 2016

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by beermeplz, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Initiate (0) May 17, 2013 Illinois

WF Schaumburg had some today.

Nachos4two likes this.
  2. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Persistence paid off.
    [​IMG]
    Refreshing TWs website every hour since last Monday came to fruition. If there's one thing they do right is having on point inventory, searchable by customers.

Last year, I think I bought a sixer at a time eventually adding up to two cases. The last sixer was in January (big mistake).

I counted about 18 cases on the floor. It may be a one time stock. So no chances. Then again last year was January when it ran out.

I'll bust this out tonight maybe along side some NM ipas for a true experience.

Cheers.

BeerGreg, vinylfiend1 and magilldm like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I bought another 6 today, a coin flip between this and Founders Harvest Ale.

TriggerFingers and DEdesings57 like this.
  4. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (0) May 2, 2015 Pennsylvania

If I tasted this blind I would think this was made by Singlecut, however even if I saw in a glass I'd still think the same thing!

jrnyc and Daveshek28 like this.
  5. Oktoberfiesta

Oh yeah

Definitely of that slight onion citrus hop element. Explosive aromatics and flavors.
    [​IMG]
    A near Hefeweizen haze. But not really cloudy from what I can see. Doesn't matter. It's so lovely.

A goal tonight is three local ipas ( none necessarily advertising themselves as unfiltered. ) side by side with this guys. Id throw in other fresh hop regionals but that would get out of hand quick.

eppCOS and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  6. skleice

skleice Maven (1,271) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I had last years and wasn't impressed. After all of the hoopla, I decided to give this batch a shot. This is delicious! I wish I could get this all year. If I were blindfolded, I would think this was a Single Cut brew but at a fraction of the price. Well done!

7. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Pooh-Bah (1,944) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Greg called the wf no luck lol :slight_frown:

8. Oktoberfiesta

And no offense to my own local breweries who love the bomber format at $9.99/22 ounces, this is a bargain.

I love when local breweries low key release a seasonal that is just so amazing. Even better when I can get a regional giant like this one.

Total respect here. Price and taste is a magical blend

9. nc41

Trader

I don't get an onion hit at all from this one, to be honest I can't say I've ever had an onion bomb outside of OB Gubna. Lots of fruit, I would take onion as an off note, I don't get Anything thats off.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Devotee (388) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

You made the correct choice - while Harvest Ale is a wonderful beer, it was bottled 2 weeks earlier than Born Yesterday, and it cost $3 a bottle rather than $2. Plus I feel Born Yesterday was a better beer this year.

I got my third 6 pack of this stuff last night......

ElijahSF, meanmutt and nc41 like this.
  11. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Grand Pooh-Bah (3,187) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

I was able to find a sixer on Long Island. It is very tasty and soft with a brilliant, sweet hop aroma . It is reminiscently comparable to Great Notion's Juice Jr. (Alas, from this distance a real-time comparison is not possible).

12. nc41

Trader

I don't have a direct light per day, but I held it to 6 inches from 100 watt bulb and wiggled my fingers which I couldn't see. I'd call that hazy and turbid.

13. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Zealot (666) Jan 9, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Drinking my first bottle now, a whole week late.
    So this is what a beer with barely any malts and tons of fresh hops tastes like.
    I love it, although I'd have preferred just a bit more malt to give it a slight sweet taste at the end.

14. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

It's a great beer, I can tell it's loaded with tons of hop extract but it still has that Lagunitas house flavor which holds it back from being truly world class imo.

15. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have a 6er waiting in the beer fridge at home when I return from Louisiana tomorrow night.

#can'twait

16. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Maven (1,373) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

How can you identify the hop extract?

17. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Savant (1,041) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

It gives beer a certain bitter hop character that I can recognize after home brewing ipa's with it and drinking beers that are known to use it like Hop Stoopid, Pliny the Elder/ Younger, and Hop Hunter.

18. justareallybuffdude

justareallybuffdude Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2016 Texas

Just picked up a couple sixers of this from the Mueller HEB in Austin. They are in the fridge cooling but I'm pretty excited to try them, Texas has some killer beer but I do think their IPAs are a little lacking.

There are still 5 or 6 cases there if anybody wants some of this in Austin!

19. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

how can you tell its loaded with hop extract?

20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Same here. And I believe Oskar Blues Gubna (is that a single hop IPA?) is also the only one I've ever perceived onion in.

I have read some here on Beeradvocate perceiving certain hops as onion-y, while others don't get that at all. I believe it may be Simcoe that can produce this flavor for some.

@JackHorzempa I think I remember you commenting on this before, perhaps you could provide a bit more insight? My apologies if I'm remembering this incorrectly, and it wasn't you.

nc41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.