Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Lagunitas - Born Yesterday 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by beermeplz, Oct 14, 2017.

1. beermeplz

beermeplz Disciple (332) Feb 13, 2015 California

sounds like it's dropping on monday (10/16) based on an IG post from a local spot...can't wait to try this year's! hope the west coast gets some haze this time around...

CrimeDog, AlcahueteJ, A2HB and 6 others like this.
  2. Schempy

Schempy Initiate (121) Oct 8, 2014 Arizona

I hear last year's was better...

3. BSW

BSW Aspirant (274) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'm curious if the current situation in Sonoma County is going to impact the release at all. Things are pretty crazy here right now, although Petaluma hasn't been directly impacted.

4. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Aspirant (274) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I thought it was plenty hazy last year. I really hope they don't go full NE on us this time around. Last year's release was perfect.

Still no word on it here, but I imagine it'll be a little longer before we see bottles hitting shelves.

honkey and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  5. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (560) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Gets some haze? It was the same beer. Some where hazier than others. Hazy doesn’t mean it’s better, it’s the ingredients and process.

I’ve really enjoyed every release and look for forward to getting some fresh hops.

6. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Zealot (577) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Subscriber

Love this series- one of my favorite annual releases from any brewery... but I really get tired of seeking Lagunitas stuff out. Its impossible to know when and where their beers are going to be released. Sounds like a lot of liquor stores have no idea either. Their distro is pretty vague and frustrating in my opinion.

7. SmashAdams

SmashAdams Devotee (442) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This beer last year was incredible. I can't wait to snag some this year.

swolepeer, pro100, Daveshek28 and 4 others like this.
  8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Now I need to clear out room for these, the endless task of enjoying beer.... LOL

These are tasty, looking forward to some.:sunglasses:

9. beermeplz

based on appearance alone, the beers coming out of petaluma vs. chicago last year were clearly different. obviously hazy doesn't mean bettter, but i still would've liked to have tried the hazy version...it got rave reviews to say the least.

10. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (560) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Yes, clearly different. I get it.

11. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Subscriber Beer Trader

The ones out of Chicago were supposedly hazier? I have no clue which ones I drank. Does it says anywhere on the bottle or box? I still have both from last year. I had just assumed California, due to proximity, but the version I had was awfully hard to see through, and it definitely got rave reviews from me.

12. emannths

emannths Initiate (193) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

The brewery code should be the last digit of the first line of the date code:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/lagunitas-ipa.251669/#post-3217995

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  13. NoResistance

NoResistance Initiate (106) Dec 17, 2016 California

Thanks for the heads up OP, I went to my local Total Wine this afternoon in NorCal, and they had about 15-20 cases right at the entrance of the store, I ended up buying one case. Now, to find which bar have it on tap..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CrimeDog, Wiffler27, pro100 and 13 others like this.
  14. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Kind of weird it says borned on 10/16. Obviously that's not the bottled on date so I guess they don't want to tell us the actual bottled on date.

bl00 likes this.
  15. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (96) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

The past two years I've gotten it on the date it was released, and the "borned on" date was also that day. Pretty sure that *is* the bottling date, or at least, I'm pretty sure I've heard that it was bottled that morning.

I've also thought it tasted way better that day than even a few days later, which makes me think it is bottled that day, because having a beer that fresh is super rare, at least for me. A week old, sure, but that morning? Not often.

sharpski and jakecattleco like this.
  16. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

I guess technically they could of fired up the bottling line at midnight, got it bottled and on the trucks and landing at stores in the Bay Area by this morning. That would be pretty awesome.

17. Brent212

Beer Trader

jakecattleco and Hoppedelic like this.
  18. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (253) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Supporter Subscriber

Is it known if Illinois will brew, or has brewed, a batch?

19. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

Except for the delivered part, that would be impossible except for some select stores within NorCal. Still though it's pretty impressive to get the beer to stores within the week it was bottled which they consistently do with this beer.

20. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (134) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Can anyone who's had this years give a review on how it compares to 2016 born yesterday? I need to know if I should buy a pack vs a case

Oktoberfiesta likes this.
  21. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,090) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Purchase a sixer, try a bottle. If you like it, pick up more?

swolepeer and sharpski like this.
  22. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (513) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

With fresh Born Yesterday and Breakfast Stout available locally I may just skip out on any nearby brewery releases this week and opt to grab those instead...I’ll still have world class beer in the fridge :sunglasses:

23. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (288) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Last years was magical. Some of the juciest hops I have ever encountered. The question is valid, if we have to make a trek for either a sixer or a case.. Last year I ended up drinking BY for a 3 month span *it was that GOOD. So a 4 case buy was what I ended up with. But quantities are limited, so its definitely nice to know if I need to jump for more than the norm or not.

And buying one vs. a sixer vs. a case is not the norm for most people. My area only got like 15 cases which seemed to sit at my area TW. I was able to buy upwards of 2 months later and enjoy. But other more concentrated areas have known to sell out within a week. So the question is a good one. It's a 6er guaranteed in my book, but if its THAT good, should we spring for more? I think that's the better question.

24. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Subscriber Beer Trader

As did I, but I actually thought it aged pretty well. Some of the "juice" factor definitely wore off during that time frame, but it didn't start tasting "flat" or anything. I liked the green onion/garlic that started to come out toward my last few bottles last year. I wouldn't mind overbuying this beer, for sure.

25. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

A bar in town announced they have it on tap so kegs have made it up to NorCal already. I'm sure bottles are here too, have to check tomorrow. I wish all beer could be distributed this fast.

26. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (288) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

@Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Consider me in the crowd that also bought BY past its prime.

Looking at UT check ins, by 1.10.17, it was smelling right but tasting off. It's funny to think breweries set their best by dates within 4 months or 3 months, when truly I feel the fall off is much sooner

For that final sixer, I had to collect six singles from a unref. shelf at TW and they were able to price them into a sixer *vs singles.

But for the later parts of October, through to November, and December, it was tasting amazing. By the new year, things had fallen a bit flat. Great 3 month run though

Edit: It really only was a 2.4 to 2.5 month run for BY. I had some on christmas and that was tasting mighty nice. But even just two weeks later on 1/10. it wasnt the same. So my expiration date is definitely in or around the new year...

THis years batch seems ready and in stores a day or two sooner than in the past, so I may even push my expiration to right around christmas this year.

That still ends up being a great 2.5 month run of Fresily aromatic and juicy CHEAP IPA six packs.. All of our local breweries can learn a thing or two IMHO

#26 Oktoberfiesta, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  27. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (285) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Can someone post the picture of the side of the bottle that lists the hops?

Also, anyone remember if it's the same hops as last year?

28. Brent212

Beer Trader

According to this (https://lagunitas.com/beers/born-yesterday), it "has 11lbs-per-barrel of Simcoe, Equinox, Mosaic and Indigenous Catawampus". Not sure if that's different than last year though.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  29. Brent212

Beer Trader

Last year (and pretty sure the year before), it was Monday. 10/17. So it's a day earlier this year, but they probably schedule for a Monday for some logistical reason.

EDIT: At least, that's when it showed up at all the stores in San Jose, CA. And that's when the "borned on" date on the bottle was. And today it showed up in the SJ spots, not sure about other areas.

30. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Subscriber Beer Trader

The BY bottles have a straightforward "Borned On" date on the neck instead of the usual cryptic Lagunitas code. Still, I looked at the box, and there was a 1 all by itself, so I am assuming that means California, based on the thread you linked. I had assumed it was from Petaluma anyway, so this just confirms my suspicions.

I couldn't imagine the beer getting any hazier without being downright murky. I feel for those who got the batches out of Chicago. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

31. Brent212

Beer Trader

The ones in CA last year weren't remotely murky. I guess (VERY) *slightly* hazy, like an unfiltered enjoy by, but nothing close to even the clearest NE-style IPA. The pics of the East-coast version did look quite a bit hazier, but still not in the ballpark the way people describe.

Which is fine. I like this beer for being a dank, west coast, style. I love me some juicy IPAs, but that's not what I'm hoping for when I get BY.

jakecattleco likes this.
  32. Bobby_alto

Bobby_alto Initiate (110) May 24, 2016 California

Having one now and although excellent, I feel it has a bit less of the fresh in your face aroma and taste as last year's, which was simply incredible and tough to beat. I would put it on par with the '15 version but not touching last year or the OG. And mine was pretty clear for all those wondering.

33. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,078) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Arguably the best widely released hoppy beer there is. I eagerly wait to buy this once again. It gives any microbrewery's NE IPA a run for its money. It's literal dank hop juice.

Daveshek28 likes this.
  34. beermeplz

picked up a pack today...the CA version is pretty damn clear again, solid stuff though - dank grapefruit with some of lagunitas' sweet signature flavor. not the juicy stuff i was hoping for but i'll still be picking up a couple more packs at least. looking forward to hearing how the chicago version turned out this year.

35. Swimb1980

Swimb1980 Initiate (105) Aug 21, 2016 Kentucky

Last years that I got was very hazy and one of the juiciest beers I've had. It seemed very similar to other New England ipas I've had in and around Boston, etc. I'm close to Chicago geographically but not sure where ours came from. Pics I have seen of what is out this year has almost zero haze which doesn't mean much but it's interesting that it does obviously change some year to year. At lagunitas's price point I will still be buying it up--between this last year and their high westified you can't do any better anywhere for the price and it's nationally distributed, crazy.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  36. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (379) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Wondering how quickly the East Coast will get this (if at all). I know its only 10/17 but a man can dream.

37. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,477) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I note that Lagunitas describes the OneHitter series by saying "They're unique, strange, Lagunitas one-offs". If it's a one-off then how can they come out with it a second year? Kind of like Final Fantasy III. Wait...if something is final, how can you have a third one?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Devotee (444) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Loved last year and looking forward to this year's! Though, it's my annual reminder that Lagunitas can actually date their bottles "10/16/2017" instead of Julian dating.

39. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (166) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

Been waiting for this beer all year! If it's good as last year's I will be buying many packs!

40. EazyBeeze

EazyBeeze Initiate (120) Apr 10, 2009 Colorado

It was bottled on 10/16. That's the whole idea of the program. They start at midnight and fill up trucks as it's ready and send it out. The distributors work with them to hotshot it to market the day of. Lucky folks in the Bay Area and Chicago-land get it the same day and most of the rest of the country see it within the week. It's pretty cool

ElijahSF and deanzaZZR like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.