Release Lagunitas Born Yesterday 2018

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by vinylfiend1, Oct 8, 2018.

1. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (61) Jun 8, 2013 California

today is borning day, bottles are rolling out as we speak. Hope it's as good as the last previous years as it's one of my favorites and the only lagunitas I really buy anymore.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I have my fingers crossed that the Chicago brewed Born Yesterday will taste the same as the 2016 version. The 2017 version was good but the 2016 version was OUTSTANDING!

Cheers!

3. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (72) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I have to agree with you. I'm looking forward to it either way, but 2016 was certainly something special.

vinylfiend1 likes this.
  4. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Aspirant (254) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

Oh hell yeah! :yum:

My favorite IPA.

5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (266) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Pumped to get some of this!

6. NoResistance

NoResistance Initiate (16) Dec 17, 2016 California

Has anyone gone to a store and picked up a six-pack, or had it on tap yet? Just wondering about the taste, and what stores are carrying it as of the moment.

7. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (127) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

I saw that this is popping up on store shelves today, so it'll only be a matter of hours before we have a first-impression comparison to years past.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  8. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (51) May 2, 2015 Virginia

Hoping to see this in my area. Didn’t get a drop of Born Again or Founders Harvest, so if we can get 1 of 3 this would be it!

9. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (135) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

What a yummy brew! I'm excite!

10. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (439) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

The Chicago 2016 edition of Born Yesteryday marked history as in my opinion the BEST Nationally Distributed North-Eastern "style" IPA every produced in beer history!

11. rypkr

rypkr Champion (800) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I thought it was a west coast pale ale...

12. DEdesings57

Trader

If you had the 2016 edition from Chicago you would understand why I made that comment. The beer poured out much much hazier, almost murky and had an intensified tropical blast of fruity juices on the aroma and taste that the people on the west coast were not "Fully" getting. In fact the west coast version poured out pretty clear with a drastic difference to the east coast version.

But it's not all about appearance, many including myself found that the east coast version of that beer fell more in line with what many today have come to expect from a Juicy New England style IPA.

Furthermore as a side note, since when are Pale Ales 7+%ABV?

DonicBoom and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Unless you actually had both the east and west coast versions at the same relative freshness, I would be skeptical about your claims based on appearance alone. Murkiness doesn't equal "juicyness", and anyway, the west coast version was far from clear, to my recollection. I agree that it was the best nationally distributed NE style beer ever, and I only had the west coast version. I would even say its my favorite widely available beer ever, of any style.

Either way, I'm greatly looking forward to this year in hopes it is anything like 2016.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  14. DEdesings57

Trader

"Unless you actually had both the east and west coast versions at the same relative freshness, I would be skeptical about your claims based on appearance alone."

I think you overlooked this part from my comment:

"But it's not all about appearance, many including myself found that the east coast version of that beer fell more in line with what many today have come to expect from a Juicy New England style IPA"

15. elohim

elohim Initiate (154) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia

This and Xocoveza are going to make for a fun October

16. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (724) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Hopefully it gets here quickly. I remember 2014 and 2015 hitting shelves literally the day after bottling. But then 2016 and 2017 took longer. I think last year's took almost 2 weeks.

tylerstravis likes this.
  17. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

I absolutely did. My apologies.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (815) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I recall having them at the same relative freshness. We received a murky version and a "somewhat hazy" version in Boston (at least I was able to find both versions) and the flavor profiles were completely different.

I had the murky version at a bar on draft as well, alongside a Trillium IPA, and it was the only nationally distributed beer I've ever had that tasted similar to their IPAs.

If I look back in the forums I might be able to find my posts, I might have even had pictures.

At 2 weeks it's a drain pour. Cinderella's carriage turns into a pumpkin, going from hazy to clear. :wink:

GreenBayBA likes this.
  19. AlcahueteJ

Here we go, see below for some pictures of the turbid 2016 version and my comments. The posts start my text is no long bold/italicized. Now let's see if I snagged a picture of the "clear" one. Gimme a minute...

Here's my contribution to this thread in terms of, "Is it a 'New England-style' IPA or not?"

First picture is of Lagunitas Born Yesterday from the bottle obviously. All the bottled beers are in the same lighting.

[​IMG]

Next up is The Substance from Bissell Brothers. I assume many consider this a "New England-style" IPA.

[​IMG]

And finally, Trillium's Sleep Street IPA.

[​IMG]

I apologize, two part post...more images, and a conclusion...

Next up just for fun, two different drafts. One is a Trillium beer, the other is Born Yesterday. Not exactly the same lighting unfortunately. Can you guess which one is which? There's a free Born Yesterday for the winner...just kidding...or am I? :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my opinion, both in appearance and flavor, this is a "New England-style" IPA. And it was awesome. This could absolutely be a game changer if they can distribute beer this quickly to consumers. And most importantly, according to some at least, it is in the "style" that beer geeks love.

20. AlcahueteJ

And the "clear" one, a week after the first picture in my previous post...

[​IMG]

21. NoResistance

NoResistance Initiate (16) Dec 17, 2016 California

Just picked up a six-pack of Born Yesterday from my local TW in NorCal. Currently chilling it, can't wait to taste all that hoppy juiciness. Born on date on the bottle is indeed 10/8/18.

22. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

Meant to post this yesterday, but it looks like it's been addressed.....
    2016>>>>>2017
    And let's hope that, no matter where it's brewed, it looks the same. The stuff we got here in CA didn't look anything like the stuff in the midwest and the east.

GreenBayBA and jakecattleco like this.
  23. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (724) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I know you're joking and normally I roll my eyes at freshness snobs but if you had this beer 1 day old and then 2 weeks old, there is a massive difference. It's a fragile brew.

GreenBayBA and Daveshek28 like this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

I was joking, but yes, some IPAs are like that.

25. waltari

waltari Initiate (53) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Had the 2016 one 6 months old and it was still awesome.

GreenBayBA and eldoctorador like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Premium

I can report that for the 2016 version there was a notable change in the flavor profile at around the 30 day mark. After about a month from bottling the beer had a oniony flavor develop which was not exactly enticing for my palate.

I did greatly enjoy the beer during the prior 30-ish days.

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,181) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Having a bottle of the Chicago version, I can confirm the magical haze from 2016 is not present in the Chicago version <poof>. Per their website, this year's iteration is Simcoe, Citra & Mosaic which I believe is the same combo as 2016. Last year I recall the Citra was substituted with Equinox. Hopefully people will enjoy it. I'm enjoying it.

GreenBayBA and JackHorzempa like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Premium

Despite the differing appearance how would you describe the flavor profile? Is the 2018 version the same as the 2016 version from a flavor perspective?

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  29. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (384) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Having one now. Its disappointing in comparison with 2016 and 2017. Just a ho hum, wet-hopped IPA. Bummed, because i absolutely loved the last couple versions of this.

30. Jaycase

Trader

Unfortunately you are asking the wrong person. I can barely remember a week ago let alone 2 years ago. :wink: Maybe someone else with better memory retention can chime in on your question. On this year's, the aroma is nicely pungent. Flavor-wise, the citra complements the mosaic & simcoe nicely. No hop dominates imo. I certainly would not qualify this year's as juicy, however. In case anyone is looking for it to be juicy. To set expectations, just a nice wet hop pale ale imo.

JackHorzempa, bret717 and vinylfiend1 like this.
  31. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (143) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between Born Yesterday and Born Again Yesterday?

GreenBayBA likes this.
  32. Jaycase

Trader

This post sums it up nicely.

33. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (143) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Thanks for the clarification.

Jaycase likes this.
  34. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (416) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

BAY uses hops that have been previously froze... I think

EDIT: Ninja'd

Jaycase likes this.
  35. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (45) May 9, 2018 New York

Pours clear this year... No more haze or murk... Looks more west coast this year again

#35 Socialillness, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Cibsie likes this.
  36. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (156) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Agreed. It isn't really any better than a regular Lagunitas IPA either. I wonder if they bottled the wrong beer or just didn't try this year.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  37. waltari

waltari Initiate (53) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

So bummed out about that. I was really expecting something like the 2016 edition.

skunkmark23, GreenBayBA and RobNewton like this.
  38. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

...or at least as good as last year!

I guess I'll only be picking up a single this year, instead of the usual six- or twelve- pack. Of course, I think everyone who has reported back here is in the eastern half of the US. I'm holding out hope for the west coast version!

39. JackHorzempa

Premium

Well, that is disappointing to hear.:slight_frown:

I wonder why they are unable to recreate the beer of 2016?:confused:

Cheers!

40. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (122) Jan 13, 2014 California

Anyone in southern CA see this yet?

GreenBayBA likes this.