Lagunitas Born Yesterday 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jaycase, Oct 12, 2019 at 2:04 AM.

1. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,286) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

What a difference a year makes. 201 posts in the 2018 thread and nary a thread for this year's yet! :wink:

Picked up a sixer today (Born on 7 Oct) and I think this year's iteration is quite good. More of a citrusy flavor this year imo (if my memory of last year's hasn't failed me). Anyway, 10.49 for a sixer of this cannot be beat imo.

If you are looking for it, hope you can find it. Cheers.

Here's a little movie with Jeremy.

2. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (772) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Definitely in for a 6 pack and a couple pours on tap, usually a nice fresh beer. Lagunitas doing it's thing

deadwolfbones, vabeerguy, AWA and 2 others like this.
  3. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (46) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

That first run of this was so good that I will gladly buy a 6pack of this every year, even if it starts getting worse. The past few years have been solid, but that first batch made founders harvest look like even keel.

4. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (189) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Kinda annoyed I don’t think it’s gonna show in SE PA til Tuesday despite the beer locator on Lagunitas.com showing it all over. Trust me, it ain’t.

JTW10 and GreenBayBA like this.
  5. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (410) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Saw that it dropped locally today, gonna have to grab some tomorrow.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Haven’t seen it yet.

7. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,782) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Seems the only limited beer we saw in Houston this year was Sumpin Hazy, and we just got it a few weeks ago. So, if this shows up I will get it like I do every year

8. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (44) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I’m looking forward to it, though I like Harvest Ale better. It’s probably my changing tastes, but I thought last year’s was a little too sweet. $10.49 is a damn good price. It’ll be at least $13 here.

9. nc41

Trader

Let me amend it to I’ve never seen it here, I’ve got some Harvest Ale in the fridge though. Whatever happened to SN, they used to put out fresh hops at a great price, and now that they’re local nada.

10. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (793) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

We used to get this beer hyper fresh, I'm talking 2 days old. Now it takes almost 2 weeks to land on shelves. Trust me, it makes a difference with this beer.

Brent212 likes this.
  11. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,017) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Just started popping up around SE Michigan a few days ago. Usually get a couple of 6pks.

12. nc41

Trader

Kinda defeats the wet hop concept if the beers 2-3 months old.

13. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,147) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Dropped in Minneapolis this week 10/7 date. Very good this year.

DadwithBeer and BayAreaJoe like this.
  14. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (118) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

Dropped in Omaha yesterday. Bought a case. This years batch is the closest to the epic 2016 offering. It’s absolutely fantastic this year...

jrnyc and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,127) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Not seeing it in central Az yet.

16. thuey

thuey Aspirant (268) Nov 13, 2015 California

I had it on tap on Thursday @ Whole Foods. I enjoyed it. Didn't taste like former years, but definitely very fruity and hop-forward. Very little bitterness.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  17. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (549) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Whereabouts? Not seeing this yet?

drunkenmess likes this.
  18. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (549) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I see your point on Harvest Ale but bought a 4pk Wednesday of Harvest Ale now have 1 left. This years Harvest Ale is top notch.

TargaFlorio and drunkenmess like this.
  19. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (46) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

Yeah I was exaggerating to emphasize how good ‘16 Born Yesterday was, Founders Harvest is an all-time classic. Still yet to see either one in Philly though...

BenHoppy likes this.
  20. nc41

Trader

Sipping on a Harvest Ale while watching some football, bottled on 9/25 so it’s not quite 20 days old. I remember the day this way a by the bottle distro, now as much as you want. I haven’t bothered to look up a thing about this beer, but it tastes like Centennial is the star here, we’ll worth a bu and they’re 4 pks not Sixers.

21. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,087) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

What’s wrong with Harvest Ale and Even Keel? :wink:

Lagunitas Born Two Weeks Ago doesn’t have the same ring to it.

drunkenmess likes this.
  22. drunkenmess

Society Trader

A few places on east side. Mug & Jug, Napa Valley Bev, Grapevine Wine shop to name a few :thinking_face:

BenHoppy likes this.
  23. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Edit: Mug & Jug, Shores Canteen, & Zetouna's :beers:

BenHoppy likes this.
  24. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (928) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Drinking some right now, born 10/7/19. Great taste and better than I remember from before on the feel. For the price, this stuff is a total steal. I'm definitely picking more up.

BenHoppy likes this.
  25. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (74) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Grabbed two sixers today. Gotta agree this beer is just one hell of a good deal, not to mention one of the best renditions so far.

BenHoppy likes this.
  26. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (124) Jan 8, 2015 California

I picked up a 6 of this batch as well. It's good. I wish it was more in the 6% range and less sweet to allow the hops to do more but that's Lags for you.

27. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (342) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know why there aren’t wet hop beers from hazy ipa makers? Or am I wrong about that? Also, I know Born Yesterday has been made hazy

28. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,457) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

You're mistaken. Here in the land of wet hop bounty, we're seeing a number of fh hazies. Some of them don't seem to have a whole lot of wet hop character, but some have been really good.

Fremont brewing even made a hazy and West Coast style version of their always excellent Cowiche Canyon. I ended up preferring the hazy version.

AlcahueteJ, stevepat and Nbrock24 like this.
  29. Nbrock24

Trader

Thanks for the insight! I just had my first Born Yesterday and I loved it. I wouldn’t guess wet hopped if I didn’t know better but it’s an excellent west coast ipa

30. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Trying my first born yesterday on draft. It's OK. Not getting a huge amount of wet hop aroma or flavor, and a bit more bitterness would be welcome.

At least in comparison to what's available where I live, this is not a stand out wet hop ipa. Given the other options available where I live, this is not a beer I will likely order again.

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  31. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (799) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

How does anyone discern "wet hop character" over standard if not compared side by side? It's just hops.

I'd wager Lagunitas could make this exact beer without the fresh hops and it would be just as great.

nc41 and Hoppedelic like this.
  32. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (438) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

I was wondering the same thing. I know with cannabis making hash with the fresh undried flowers is night and day compared with using dried flowers but with beer I still can’t tell the difference, but I’m sure there is. Hopefully someone can explain and I will try hard to discern it with this seasons fresh hop releases.

33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

It varies depending on hop varietal and the brewing process. Aroma and flavor characteristics include watermelon and watermelon rind, sweet ice tea and a sort of "green" aroma and flavor profile, just to name a few. It also depends on the beer style as well. For me, pale ales and ipa/dipa's are the best style for delivering the characteristics I mentioned, though I've also has some very interesting wet hop saisons and pils.

So far, I've sampled roughly 30 or 40 fresh hop beers thia year. It's amazing how different they all have been. Some have had no fresh hop characteristics at all, but most have had at least a subtle "something else" component that I only get in a fresh hop beer.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting a whole lot of that in the born yesterday this year.

34. thuey

thuey Aspirant (268) Nov 13, 2015 California

[QUOTE="John_M, post: 6660095, member: 3421" Some have had no fresh hop characteristics at all, but most have had at least a subtle "something else" component that I only get in a fresh hop beer.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting a whole lot of that in the born yesterday this year.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree but having tried BY for the last 4-5 years, I would say that's true of all of them? I think they're different from the standard Lagunitas beer for sure. But doesn't taste like any of the ones I've tried from PNW or even SF Bay Area ones.

35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I don't disagree but having tried BY for the last 4-5 years, I would say that's true of all of them? I think they're different from the standard Lagunitas beer for sure. But doesn't taste like any of the ones I've tried from PNW or even SF Bay Area ones.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought the version last year had a lot of fresh hop character. I picked up a lot of sweet watermelon flavor in the beer, as I recall.

36. Nbrock24

Trader

Sometimes that “wet hop character” is apparent because it’s super fresh all Chinook which you just don’t see that often. Lagunitas is blending more hops so it’s harder to pin down on BY

37. nc41

Trader

Can’t say taken blind I’d have a clue, actually I’m quite sure of that. Like most beers it’s either good or it’s not, just my opinion that I don’t see it’s a magic bullet for any ipa, it’s just an interesting way to introduce the hops.

raynmoon and Hoppedelic like this.
  38. stevepat

Trader

I'd describe it as greasier and now floral. I think the biggest difference is in the aromatics, just stop much brighter and fuller in the nose. To me they're a nice seasonal treat, but they have a really short life span and aren't magically better than dried hop beers

BayAreaJoe and jakecattleco like this.
  39. stevepat

Trader

Just stumbled across my first sighting of this in the wild, lovely beer on tap. Definitely displays the load of aromatics and real depth of Hop flavors. Definitely will be trying to pack in these hoppy burps while it's around

AlcahueteJ and thuey like this.
  40. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (67) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Born Yesterday is in CT. Picked up 6ixer yesterday. Have not tried yet.