Lagunitas Contents Under Fresher

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by hoppytobehere, Oct 24, 2021.

1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (840) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

[​IMG]

It seems everyone's beloved seasonal Born Yesterday has been replaced by this in 4 packs. Anyone try it yet?

2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I believe it was fresh when bottled, show me the date.

3. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,054) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Mosaic, Citra and Simcoe...they lost me at Sabro. Def not a fan.

That being said, who am I kidding? I'd still try it! :wink::stuck_out_tongue:

AlcahueteJ, Junior, smutty33 and 4 others like this.
  4. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (400) Aug 24, 2020 California

Did you already read the BA reviews? They are summarized here:
    Style:
    IPA - American
    ABV:
    7.7%
    Score:

Needs more ratings
    Avg:
    | pDev: 10.51%
    Reviews:
    Ratings:

5. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (173) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

i enjoyed it, classic Lagunitas sweetness. super hoppy and light bitterness.

6. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,038) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

It's a different profile than the early Born Yesterday's and not for the better in my opinion. The value is also not there as the 4 pack cost is the same as the 6 pack was last year.
    [​IMG]
    I just posted a review on NBW.

7. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,906) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I broadly agree with @jkblr. It's not born yesterday and it doesn't have the same value that born yesterday did.

that said, if you like Lagunitas ipas and you like modern tropical hop flavors then I think you'll enjoy this one. It's the best expression of tropical juicy hop flavors that I've seen in broadly distribution beer.

And it's a pretty heavy hitter at 7.7%

AlcahueteJ, Junior, Rug and 11 others like this.
  8. waltari

waltari Initiate (75) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I am (was?) the biggest Lagunitas fanboy but I am about to be done with them, besides Willetized & Waldo. Assuming. They don't fuck these 2 up.

Rug, eppCOS, o29 and 1 other person like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,160) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

waltari, eppCOS and o29 like this.
  10. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,332) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I'm going to give this a try but I am almost indescribably upset that they are not releasing Born Yesterday this year. BY is one of my favorite hoppy beers of all time and I look forward to it all year. If they don't bring it back I will never forgive Lagunitas.

Junior, Gemini6, benzodrums and 9 others like this.
  11. o29

o29 Disciple (300) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

I picked up a 4 pack this weekend and agree with the general sentiment here so far -- while good, it's no Born Yesterday, and that combined with the move to a 4 pack format makes this a less appealing purchase to me.

I also miss Lagunitas Sucks and Brown Shugga. I know Sucks had a limited re-release last year, but it's still a step in the wrong direction from year-round and so far no Brown Shugga in sight.

12. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Heineken buyout notwithstanding, they're going the way of Stone. Discontinuing all of their most beloved beers and alienating their long time fans. Shooting themselves in the foot.

benzodrums, h4ger, ChicagoJ and 10 others like this.
  13. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,133) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Face it, Born Yesterday was too good to be true. That it lasted as long as it did is something closer to a miracle.

Casterbridge, Rug, eppCOS and 6 others like this.
  14. DavetotheB

DavetotheB Savant (939) Sep 30, 2017 Pennsylvania

Interestingly, it's the same hop bill as last year's Born Yesterday so I'm wondering how much different it's going to be.

[​IMG]

And not a fan of the increased price, decreased volume but I'll be down for a 4 pack when it shows up here.

Enjoy!

15. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (339) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wet hop or fresh hop? From the packaging this looks like first use of the latest hop crop like SN Celebration.

eppCOS likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

Wet-hopped according to their website:

"Fresh Hops
    There really is no better way to describe this than the flavor of the smell of Yakima Valley in the fall. Since the hops haven’t been dried you get the full spectrum of flavors right in your face."

https://lagunitas.com/beer/contents-under-fresher/

The terminology of "Fresh Hop" as opposed to "Wet Hopped" does introduce ambiguity; I recently discussed that topic in another thread.

Cheers!

17. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (339) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks!

18. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,458) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I have not seen their Imperial Stout in ages. That was great value @ $5/bomber

Gemini6, redeemer, o29 and 5 others like this.
  19. JBogan

JBogan Champion (883) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Kind of like when High West-ified (now Willitized) Stout came out in 12oz 6 Packs for $11.99. Now, in my opinion anyway, the beer is not as good as it was when it was High West-ified and you're only getting 4 bottles instead of 6. Still, it's a good beer and a very good deal for what it is, but not like that glorious first year or two.

redeemer, jakecattleco, o29 and 2 others like this.
  20. medb

medb Initiate (67) Aug 27, 2013 California

Yeah, they really scaled back on the original line up. No more Hop Stoopid! I'd check in on their website occasionally to see what other kinds of beers they were serving that were not widely available. Over the last four months or so, it looks like they are even scaling back what they serve at the brewery.

21. beerjerk666

Society Trader

It really sucks to see all of these breweries, that were once popular to pique enough interest to be bought out, go through changes that alienate (which to me is the perfect word, thanks @HorseheadsHophead ) the consumers that helped make them popular.
    From scaling back on their most beloved beers, to poor distribution choices, to just trying to market to too many people.

Hell, sometimes it isn't even a buyout that triggers these changes...everything must change with time.

Sorry, this kind of got off topic of the orginal post.

22. JackHorzempa

Society

What is the beer scene in your area?

I am fortunate that in the Philly area we have had several high quality craft breweries for multiple decades and over the past few years there has been an explosion of new small, local craft breweries producing very tasty beer. The majority of my beer budget goes to these local breweries. I am strongly motivated since these beers are fresh(er) but they are also 'top shelf' beers so no drop-off there.

Maybe you can do the same?

Cheers!

P.S. I know from visiting friends last year that there are a lot of good small, local breweries in the St. Pete/Tampa area.

beerjerk666 likes this.
  23. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, it was also untrue. :wink: If one accepts that a beer is "born" on the day it was packaged (:rolling_eyes: terminology that Anheuser-Busch created but recently abandoned for "Best by" dating) how many people ever bought the bottled product the following day?

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (697) Mar 28, 2009 California

Shot! I didn’t realize that. Been awhile since I bought that beer but I did buy it in occasion. Seems like they bumped the marketing and presence of Maximus and took away hop stoopid. They did enough to the occasional customer like me that I didn’t realize that. I always have preferred hop stoopid over Maximus. Hoppy and less sweet.

25. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (146) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

They discontinued it in bombers but can still buy at taproom/ brewery off tap.

Im excited about Unrefined Shugga on Nov1

26. GetMeAnIPA

I just cracked my bottle. It’s good but no born. Also, at $11.99 a 4 pk of 12oz bottles not a good deal. So many good local 4 pk 16 oz cans available for about that price. Lastly, mine is bottled 9/29. Not even that fresh. Lame!

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, o29 and 5 others like this.
  27. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,906) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

To me it tastes like they tried (at succeeded, imo) at shifting the flavor profile to the juicy end of the spectrum.

I guess that might seem like a good move to the marketing folks but I think it fails to deliver what the niche buyer that seeks out wet hop ipas want. I find it enjoyable but it doesn't have the bright, grassy/herbal pop that sets wet hop beers apart to my palate

28. GetMeAnIPA

that’s a great assessment. And the problem with that shift is it becomes just like all the other juicy ipas.

on a side note one thing I like about fremonts field to ferment is has a completely unique hop flavor profile. Grassy and tea like to me. What I love about wet hops and what makes them unique is they tend to give a different flavor profile.

lastly, my buddy grows just enough hops for one wet hopped 10 gallon keg. It’s always so good and unique. The only problem is it can’t be replicated. But that’s also part of what makes it so cool.

29. beerjerk666

Society Trader

There are plenty of breweries in my area right now, some are average and some are cranking out some real quality beers.
    I miss living in PA and having access to a lot of variety at the store. Plus I miss all my PA faves! Tröegs, Free Will, Saucony Creek, Victory and Weyerbacher(which I was able to find before in my area, but as of late, not so much).
    I'm always more than willing to give my cash to a local business!

o29 and JackHorzempa like this.
  30. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (782) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Count me in the group of not a fan of Sabro, more importantly not a fan of less beer in a 4pk. I’ll try a single bottle. Used to be good for at least 3 6pks of Born Yesterday. Name change so they can get it to you when they want?

o29 and hoppytobehere like this.
  31. keithmurray

Wayment. WHAT!? I'm guessing this is some.sort of variant of Brown Sugga!? If so, I'm intrigued!

ChicagoJ, o29 and Resistance88 like this.
  32. GetMeAnIPA

per lagunitas website:

UNREFINED SHUGGA'
    STRONG ALE

Originally, a curious mistake that resulted in an all-new-beer-style we liked to call…Irresponsible. We’ve upgraded this Sweet Release with the addition of Whole Cane Sugar for a delightfully unrefined experience.

doesn’t really tell us much. I guess my assumption is they are using unrefined brown sugar vs regular brown sugar????

33. hojo813

hojo813 Initiate (39) Aug 3, 2018 Virginia

I concur. Don't understand the fascination with Sabro.

beerjerk666 likes this.
  34. HorseheadsHophead

Society

They discontinued it--along with Cappuccino Stout and Pils. Really bums me out.

ChicagoJ and o29 like this.
  35. Resistance88

Trader

Yea i shat my pants too

I drank these by the pack.

I miss Lagunitas Red .

Lagunitas is a brewery i don't seek out anymore unless its Willetized ( ill buy it by the case)
    Gnarlywine . Wtf. Kronik. Dogtown. Undercover shutdown. Imperial stout. Capo impy. I miss so much.

Waldos i can handle one 12oz of and even then its syrup.
    I hope Unrefined Shugga is still as god

36. keithmurray

I was also a big fan of Hairy Eyeball.

Gemini6, GetMeAnIPA, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  37. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The original run of Hi West bombers was by far the best of the Hi West/Willet beers. I paid $96 a case and that was an incredible deal, still would be based on what was in the bottle.

Enjoy

38. o29

o29 Disciple (300) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Sounds interesting and as former Brown Shugga fan I'll definitely try it.

But I'm also fairly certain this will be the next Lagunitas beer to move to a 4 pack format, and I kind of feel like these subtle "changes" to Born Yesterday and Brown Shugga are really more of excuses to give consumers 2 fewer beers. People are less likely to notice if it's a new beer name! Which is really unfortunate because historically to me one of the most appealing things about some of Lagunitas's offerings was their competitive price point.

ChicagoJ and keithmurray like this.
  39. Resistance88

Trader

Tell me about it
    I drove to Petaluma for these

[​IMG]

40. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,081) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Agreed. I think I found a 6-pack of their high west-ified for something insane like $12.99 about 4 years ago. No one puts out barrel aged beers at that price anymore