Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Vs. Drakes Aroma Coma

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Mark, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

When Aroma Coma first came out a few years back I thought it one of the best IPA's out there. It was under 7% yet had the aroma and flavor of a triple IPA. I have not had it in sometime since I thought it too expensive in subsequent years. I bought bombers of each recently, both bottles were very fresh.

Hop Stoopid blew it away. First the Lagunitas beer is a much better value. $3.99 vs 7.50 for The Drakes beer.
    Stoopid had much better "aroma" and a distinct piney profile. Stoopid has lost much of it's aroma and the taste profile seemed disjointed.

I can honestly say that I probably will not purchase another A.C. again. Lagunitas all the way.

SanFranJake likes this.
  2. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Zealot (501) Mar 29, 2013 California

Do they need to be compared, though? Why not just enjoy each on their own merits?

Also, I find the opposite to be true, personally. Have never been overly impressed with Hop Stoopid anytime I've had it.

Wowcoolman and eaterfan like this.
  3. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (824) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Have not had Hop Stoopid in 2 years. AC I had last year in a keg. Recipe has changed from the year before. I believe from a new brewer at Drakes. I will seek a bottle of AC and see if it's the same recipe as last year. If so, then it's just okay. I really dug the first year when it came out.

4. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Serious (potentially stupid) question: do they distribute kegs of Hop Stoopid? I've been drinking Lagunitas for a good seven years and honestly don't recall ever seeing it on tap anywhere outside of the brewery.

Edit: on topic, I enjoy them both. Would give a slight nod to AC, but am glad they both exist.

5. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2011 California

If my local Costco sold cases of Stoopid it would probably become 90% of my beer expenditure. Could you imagine 12 bombers for $29.89?

On topic...never had AC. Sorry. Lol

SanFranJake likes this.
  6. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

You can buy Maximus, which I actually may prefer over Stoopid for about that price. It is a large portion of my beer expenditure!

7. Mark

makes sense, the first year it came out it was outstanding.

8. Mark

I had it on tap in Fort Bragg Ca at a little Pub and Pizzeria called Piaci.

9. atpca

atpca Zealot (529) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Hop Stoopid is one of the most hop-extract reliant west coast IPAs. I think it really shows -- big resin-ey bitterness with less of the floral aroma. It's a fantastic bargain and a great example of how leveraging modern ingredients can deliver a low cost, high quality product. Really glad I don't have to choose this time of year! One of each please!

10. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (824) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Saw AC in the cooler at my local but for nearly nine bucks!! I passed on it.

SanFranJake likes this.
  11. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Cool, thx! Next time I see it on tap, I'm jumping on it!

12. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Devotee (449) Jan 2, 2010 California

I really liked the first batch of AC and AP. The next batch tasted completely off. Stoopid is simply one of the best bang for the buck going on close to a decade.

13. MLucky

MLucky Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 California

I've had it on tap a few times, so apparently they do distribute kegs, at least to pubs.

My feeling about Hop Stoopid: it's good to know it's there. A tremendous bargain, lots of IBUs and ABV (if that's what you're looking for) for a mere $4. But not a beer I reach often for some reason.

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  14. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (904) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

Same here. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how good it is when I have it, but that's not that often. For me, the simple fact that it's so easy to get makes me avoid it. I'd probably drop everything and drive to the nearest bottle shop the second it dropped if it were a seasonal, but it's not. It's the same with a lot of other really great beers out there (see FW, SN, Lagunitas, etc., etc.). I wish it weren't true, but it is.

15. DrinkNoH2O

DrinkNoH2O Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

That's unfortunate man. Rarity doesn't affect flavor. I see week old FW Union Jack all over the damn place and that makes me really happy.

16. CyberMonk

CyberMonk Initiate (68) May 18, 2010 California

Aroma Coma changes year to year, and this year's is pretty weak IMO. Tasting really thin, with a not-great hop presence and too much malt on the palate. Last year's was better (though Aroma Prieta was better still).

Hop Stoopid, on the other hands, while a very different beer, is almost always a good big. Great hop aroma, a good balance of malt and bitterness, and it's tough to beat the price.

Alas, at least in my opinion, Aroma Coma has been falling off progressively for the last few years. Same goes for Hopocalypse, too, especially the Black Label. With stuff like Hop Stoopid, Pliny, Double Jack, and recently Sculpin easily gettable in the Bay Area (not to mention local draft selections), it's not a tough choice.

P.S. I still like Drakes (1500 and Denogginizer are tasty). Just sad that their special IPAs have been falling off. Quasar at Jupiter is still tasty, though (which is brewed by Drakes).

17. kaseydad

kaseydad Meyvn (1,085) Nov 23, 2008 California

Agreed on most opinions. The AC has really been a bit of a letdown the last few years. The malt is definitely more forward than previous years.....sadly. Wish the Drake's crew would go back a few years and bring back that hoppy batch. Same goes for the Hopocalypse. Seems like another recipe change on the recent batch. Tasted much sweeter this year.

Hop Stoopid? Two bombers for less then $8? Sweet deal.....for a hoppy experience. Expect nothing less from the beers that are the Lagunitas.

18. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (138) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

hop stoopid is so damn underrated, mahybe because it's so readily available. So frickin' superior, IMO, to so many highly rated IPAs.

19. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (442) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

That's Lagunitas period. They get some initial hype (Original Sucks release, Born Yesterday) and then everyone forgets they produce some solid beers at great prices.

HopsAholic79 and saliro5 like this.
  20. MrDave

MrDave Disciple (385) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Trader

Aroma Coma just wasn't that good this year. Drakes fell off the map across the board for me.

21. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2014 California

Stoopid is on tap at The Roaring Donkey in Petaluma.. or at least it was a little over a week ago.

My wife and I just did Mendocino & Fort Bragg for her Birthday last weekend. That place Piaci is pretty cool. Small, crowded and pretty surly service but they had good food, decent bottle list and alright selection of taps. Much better than North Coast, Mendocino Brewing Company or Anderson Valley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.