Release Lagunitas Sumpin' Easy

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by PASSWORDisTAC0, Dec 21, 2017.

1. PASSWORDisTAC0

PASSWORDisTAC0 Initiate (135) Jul 15, 2014 Alabama

Went searching for a thread on the new Lagunitas brew and couldn't find anything. There is a page up on their website already for it. 12oz 12-pack cans. 5.7% abv. Sounds great for finishing out the football season. https://lagunitas.com/beer/sumpin-easy[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (69) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Sounds good, I'd pick up a 12 pack if it's fresh and in the $15-18 range.

CrimeDog and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  3. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (548) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Lol at bein' Easy with it still eking towards a 5.7 abv.

4. waltari

waltari Initiate (126) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Wonder if it will be that much different from the 12th one.

5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,251) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I just enjoy their beers, this is another cool one. Will be snagging some.

apendecto and ben4unc like this.
  6. emannths

emannths Initiate (199) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

So I guess the idea is a slightly toned-down Sumpin' Sumpin'? Interesting, but it'll be hard to beat 12th of Never.

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (702) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Seriously, this is more like "Sumpin' Less Hard."

8. frozyn

frozyn Defender (665) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

Taking bets that they release a 4.5-5% version that will be called Sumpin' So Easy or Sumpin' Super Easy.

Gemini6 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  9. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (740) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

I enjoy a Lil Sumpin' Sumpin, so I'll definitely give it a try.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,836) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Looking forward to it.

VABA likes this.
  11. beermeplz

beermeplz Disciple (338) Feb 13, 2015 California

not a fan of the 12-pack only format but will probably end up trying nonetheless...

12. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Initiate (195) Jul 21, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I agree, the name implies it's a session IPA but is leaning closer to 6% than 4%. But looking at the ABV's of the other versions, 5.7% is reasonably "easier" than the others. Looking forward to trying it!

A Little Sumpin Easy - 5.7%
    A Little Sumpin Sumpin - 7.5% (marketed as a pale wheat at that ABV?)
    A Little Sumpin Extra - 8.5%
    A Little Sumpin Wild - 8.8%

Ranbot, GetMeAnIPA, Gemini6 and 2 others like this.
  13. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Aspirant (203) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Fantastic beer. Having one right now. Easily better than 12th of Never. Anyone aware of the hop bill? Mosaic?

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,139) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure the original is heavy on the Amarillo, I would be surprised if this was any different.

15. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (135) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

"A healthy dose of 2-row malted barley, a bit of wheaty-esque-ish-ness and loads of Ekuanot hops to create a super smooth and velvety ale with a fruit and resin-y- finish like biting into a freshly picked peach. Easy!"

So Ekuanot seems to lead.

16. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (555) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Grabbed a 12er today, cracked a few tonight while watching football.

Definitely a winner for me. A nice light fruity (peach-y) pale ale with a slight bitterness that drinks easily. Prefer it over the 12th of Never by quite a bit, which is a bonus because that beer languishes on Boston area shelves & is never fresh.

As for the ABV, it’s quite hidden given its light taste & drinkabilty - that could be a problem in summer months.

17. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (555) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

It’s “Sumpin” in name only - in no way is it a light version of that beer. But it’s good IMO & worth a try nonetheless. An original beer for sure.

18. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (381) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I was planning on going "dry" for January. This beer is not going to make that easy.

19. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (371) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Definitely picking up the green pepper skin. I was hoping this was just a lighter version of Little Sumpin Sumpin but oh well. I'll finish this 12 pack but probably won't buy it again.

Hoos78 likes this.
  20. PineappleBoss

PineappleBoss Initiate (115) Oct 17, 2017 California

I can't support Lagunitas anymore. Their quality is hit or miss. This weekend I bought a 12th of never produced on the 300th day of the year and it had no hop presence whatsoever and had a chemical cleaning agent after taste. First beer I ever retuned to the supermarket !!! undrinkable and I can't trust my cash on something that isn't consistent. Sierra Nevada has them beat every day on that.

21. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (271) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

If I sipped this blind, I would assume it was a peach/passionfruit infused pale ale. Not sure I've ever tasted so much pure fruit hop flavor. It's almost too much for me, and I like fruit.

It's a bit of a conundrum...I tend to prefer beers that exhibit a fruity/juicy quality from hops alone. This beer has no added fruit, but the fruit characteristic is so strong that it tastes...almost artificial.

donspublic likes this.
  22. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (606) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It's the same recipe as 12th of Never. They simply changed the name and updated the packaging to be more consistent brand-wise.

23. Hoos78

Beer Trader

I don't believe that for a second. They taste completely different. I would believe that it might be taking 12th's place in their lineup, but not that it s the same beer.

Averwo likes this.
  24. Averwo

Beer Trader

Have you had either one? Because it would obvious that this isn't the case.

25. Averwo

Beer Trader

Has like a cereal fruit loops flavor.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  26. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,580) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

This finally showed up in Houston last week and I grabbed a 12 pack. Took a couple to a tasting and everyone liked it, but you could tell they were somewhat taken back by it. I opened a can the next day to see if I could detect what it was that was so overwhelming at it was the overpowering fruit, peach that is. I like it because it is probably the "Brightest" beer I have ever had. My first thought was the passion fruit because I have had one before and it just explodes and amplifies everything but there is the peach right there. No way this is 12th of Never relabeled. And yes this is a repeat buy if someone keeps it fresh around here

27. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,049) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I love the peachy Passion fruit notes because it is all in the hops. If this beer was released about 5 years ago before everyone started adding fruits to IPAs to create this flavor profile everyone would lose their mind over this. This is easily one of the best beers I have ever tried so far in 2018.

donspublic likes this.
  28. VinumSabbathi

VinumSabbathi Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts

Delicious and fresh super hoppy pale. I just hope people dont sleep on it like they did with 12th Of Never (stopped drinking bc dates are now horribly old on those 12th 12ers around here.)

FatBoyGotSwagger and deanzaZZR like this.
  29. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (123) Jun 21, 2014 California

This beer rips.

30. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Meyvn (1,324) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island

One thing that would keep their beers fresher would be to stay with the 6 pack rather than 12 pack format. Ill try this because I thought 12th was a great summer brew but like many said here it sits on shelves. Go to sixers.

31. CNoj012

CNoj012 Poo-Bah (1,526) Dec 7, 2014 New York

Talk to the management at your beer store. When we got this beer in it sat at $17.99 per 12pk. I opened them up, put the cans in plastic 6pk rings and we sold through them quite quickly at $9.99. The customer gets to spend less money to try out a new beer and we make a slightly higher margin. Win win.

32. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Meyvn (1,324) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island

Ive seen a few places do that. Ive also seen a few places put them in sixes to get rid of old stuff. However I would pay a few cents more just buy the sixer. Makes sense though all about the margin. A very good strategy.

CNoj012 likes this.
  33. CNoj012

CNoj012 Poo-Bah (1,526) Dec 7, 2014 New York

Founders All Day is the reason we started doing this. The wholesale cost of a case of four 6pks is identical to the cost of two 15pks (through our distributor at least). So if you break open two 15s you end up with a free 6pk. We were able to reduce our retail price by $1.50 per 6pk while still upping our margin slightly. Also each 15 pack counts as 1 case of beer. So if we sell five 6pks we went through two cases of beer instead of having to sell 8 the normal way. So for special releases where your allocation depends on how many cases of their flagships you sell, we are ahead of the game.

elgiacomo and Hoos78 like this.
  34. Hoos78

Beer Trader

No brainer, eh?

CNoj012 likes this.
  35. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,580) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

Bought this 1.5 weeks ago, my 3rd, noticed the the pack was light the other day, seems this is now my son's favorite beer. I like the 12 pack.

Redrover and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  36. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (314) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Just had this finally and it is a great beer for the 12 pack model. Super drinkable, I actually thought it was around 4.5 based on the name and drinking a few of them but then checked yesterday and was shocked. Much better than 12th in my opinion and a better addition to their profile.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  37. Hoos78

Beer Trader

I don't know if I like it more than 12th, but the flavors provided by the hops are certainly unique.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  38. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (167) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I'd never get all day IPA in anything less than a 15 pack unless it was a stovepipe

39. emannths

emannths Initiate (199) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Pretty good, but I like 12th of Never better.

BayAreaJoe likes this.